How does Wehrmacht dog tag number work?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
The 51st Division

How does Wehrmacht dog tag number work?

Post by The 51st Division » 23 Nov 2016, 07:26

So, how exactly are Wehrmacht dog tag numbers structured? and what can we know from these numbers?

Well, the problem is, if you happen to be a follower of the YouTube channel The Great War (if you aren't then I highly suggest you go check it out NOW), you'd definitely know about its producer Flo. He's currently doing some family research about his great grandpa who fought in WWII as a Wehrmacht infantryman (and sadly died on 9 March 1945 in the Battle of Berlin), and he's just found out some more info:

the Truppenteil
8./I.R.477-G.E.B.477

and the dog tag number
-577-4.I.Ers.Btl.9

Now can anyone help to identify which unit do these numbers refer to? And perhaps dig up some more info about Flo's grandpa? :milsmile:
Now so far what I can tell is that I.R.477 probably means Infanterie-Regiment 477, and G.E.B.477 is most likely Grenadier Ersatz-Battaillon 477, the training/replacement unit of the corresponding regiment.

btw here's a link to Flo's story (so far) about his great grandpa:
https://www.reddit.com/r/history/commen ... _life_and/
"The nation might be powerful, yet it shall be destroyed if it seeks war; the world might be peaceful, yet it shall be doomed if it forgets war."
--The Method of the Sima, Qin Dynasty Chinese Military Classic

Simon H

Re: How does Wehrmacht dog tag number work?

Post by Simon H » 23 Nov 2016, 11:40

The tag reads as 4th Kompanie, Infanterie Ersatz Btl 9. His personal stammrollnummer was 577.
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

The 51st Division

Post by The 51st Division » 24 Nov 2016, 23:40

Thank you very much!

And since this number says "Infanterie" Ersatz-Batallion, I guess we can assume that it's pre-1942, before all infanterie units were renamed as grenadier, right?
"The nation might be powerful, yet it shall be destroyed if it seeks war; the world might be peaceful, yet it shall be doomed if it forgets war."
--The Method of the Sima, Qin Dynasty Chinese Military Classic

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 30 Nov 2016, 13:04

The 51st Division wrote:Thank you very much!

And since this number says "Infanterie" Ersatz-Batallion, I guess we can assume that it's pre-1942, before all infanterie units were renamed as grenadier, right?
Not entirely true as not every one became a Grenadier ersatz btl.

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 9 mobilised on 28th August 1939 in Potsdam, Wehrkreis III. So your example dates from this early period. In September 1942 it became Panzer-Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 9.

But just to confuse you more a new unit, Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 9 formed in December 1942 in Potsdam as well!

On balance I would say that your tag belonged to one of the original cadre of Infanterie Ers Batl 9 from it's inception.

Hope that makes sense?

Best,
Simon
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”