Was the Waffen-SS an Official Part of the Wehrmacht?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
DasReichtangle

Was the Waffen-SS an Official Part of the Wehrmacht?

Post by DasReichtangle » 06 Jan 2017, 05:08

I have tried to gather together numerous resources to get a general picture of a Sani in the SS. I remember one source said that the SS was not an official part of the German armed forces, but rather a paramilitary force, and thus they had to "supply their own medics," if I remember how they worded it. Thus, it said, many of the SS' medics, at least towards the end of the war, were regular doctors or members of the DRK who either volunteered or were conscripted. If this was the case, I would like to know so that I can portray this accurately.

I am thankful for any information!

Rob - wssob2

Re: Was the Waffen-SS an Official Part of the Wehrmacht?

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 07 Jan 2017, 05:10

I have tried to gather together numerous resources to get a general picture of a Sani in the SS. I remember one source said that the SS was not an official part of the German armed forces, but rather a paramilitary force, and thus they had to "supply their own medics," if I remember how they worded it. Thus, it said, many of the SS' medics, at least towards the end of the war, were regular doctors or members of the DRK who either volunteered or were conscripted. If this was the case, I would like to know so that I can portray this accurately.
I am not an expert in this; however, I can tell you that the SS Command Operations Office (SS-FHA)'s Department D oversaw all SS medical personnel. (The SS-FHA was the SS department in charge of forming and training Waffen-SS units). Department D's Section IIb oversaw the training of SS NCO medical personnel, which would probably include medics. The SS had a medical training academy at Graz, plus other facilities in cities like Berlin. The Graz school hosted various combat medical courses. For example, the medical personnel assigned to the 14th SS Division did an eight-week intro course, with the doctors doing an additional four-week advanced course.

I don't know how many medics were assigned to a infantry company. It does seem like battalion-sized units had their own doctor plus presumably additional medical staff. Typically for brigade or a division you'd have a organic Medical Section (Sanitäts Abt.) plus perhaps an ambulance platoon. Divisions and Corps units typically had a field hospital with larger staffs and more sophisticated equipment.

SS medical personnel would often rotate between combat and rear-area duties - Dr. Mengele being perhaps the most sinister and infamous example. Peiper's Battalion doctor during the Ardennes Offensive was Dr. Kurt Sickel - a guy who not only suggested that Peiper kill a wounded and frostbitten American POW, but also served in the Lublin Ghetto and sent 20,000 Jews to their deaths at Majdanek. (see Westemeier's bio on Peiper, pp.163-64 & footnote #65)

Hope this helps!

Harro

Re: Was the SS an Official Part of the Wehrmacht?

Post by Harro » 09 Jan 2017, 22:22

genstab

Re: Was the Waffen-SS an Official Part of the Wehrmacht?

Post by genstab » 13 Jan 2017, 02:28

I don't believe the Waffen SS was part of the Wehrmacht or the German government wouldn't always have been referring to "Die Deutsche Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS". Also, SS-Brigadeführer (later Obergruppenführer) Hans Jüttner was made head of the SS-Führungshauptamt which was in charge of the Waffen-SS in summer 1940. He reported to Himmler, not the OKH, Waffen-SS units when under Army command answered to SS judges in cases of discipline.

Best regards,
Bill in Cleveland

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”