3rd Company of the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
TRoode

3rd Company of the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion

Post by TRoode » 16 Jan 2017, 20:38

Hi guys!

I am wondering if you can help me with something. For my birthday my wife bought me the 1:35 Tiger II Ausf. B (Henschel Turret) kit by Revell. As per usual you can choose between different color schemes to make your tank more lifelike. However, this time there was a color scheme which intrigues me a lot. I have enclosed a picture of it below:

The first thing that got my intention is that it's dated 31/05/1945... a full three weeks after the war ended in Europe. Also, according to Wikipedia the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion was renamed 511th Heavy Panzer Battalion on 5 January 1945. Furthermore, it surrendered to the Red Army on 9 May 1945. How can it be from 31/05/1945 near Kassel if the unit did not exist anymore? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sheldrake

Re: 3rd Company of the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion

Post by Sheldrake » 16 Jan 2017, 23:28

It is probably a misprint or possibly based on a photograph of a vehicle taken on that date. Marketign departments are

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”