Let's build Panzer-Division "Müncheberg" !

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
David C. Clarke

Let's build Panzer-Division "Müncheberg" !

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 16:01

Hi everyone. Well, we've planned, plotted, discussed and debated. Now it's time to act. Please join in the effort to BUILD PANZER DIVISION MUNCHEBERG! The object is to pool our collective knowledge and amass as much material as possible on this fine division. No contribution is too small, no fact too obscure. There are only two things I think we must do for the sake of clarity:
1. Title each post as to the area it refers to if possible. Examples are: TO&E (Table of Organization and Equipment) Personalities, Vehicles and Markings, Engagements, Lineage, etc.
(Needless to say, there will be posts that can not be neatly categorized, but that's no biggie, we'll just use "Overview" for those.)
2. ALL FACTUAL INFORMATION MUST BE CITED AS TO SOURCE.

Marcus has kindly promised us a "Sticky" to keep this thread near the top of the Forum. I, for one, do not intend to disappoint him. So, let's have fun. Muncheberg Panzer Division was chosen because, as far as I know, there isn't a book detailing it's rather short career–March to May, 1945–yet it played a critical role in the defense of the Seelowe Heights and in the Battle for Berlin. There are plentiful references to it in every good book about this period of history, but these references have remained scattered and uncollected. Our ultimate goal os to produce a narrative, as complete as possible of this Divisions activities and organization. So, to all I wish "Good Luck" and "Happy Hunting". Very Best Regards, David :D :D :D

David C. Clarke

Divisional Insignia

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 16:05

This is Muncheberg's Insignia, Courtesy of Marcus Wendel's
Third Reich Factbook:

David C. Clarke

TO&E

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 16:45

TO&E:
This is George F. Nafziger's complete entry on Panzer Division "Muncheberg", found on page 189 of "The German Order of Battle: Panzers and Artillery" Greenhill Books, 1999.

"Formed on 8 March 1945. Its staff was formed from the Staff/103rd Panzer brigade. The
Division had:
1/, 2/ 1st Muncheberg Panzergrenadier Regiment
1/, 2/ 2nd Muncheberg Panzergrenadier Regiment
Kummersdorf Panzer Battalion (later renamed Muncheberg Panzer Battalion)
1 medium Panzer Company (Pz. Mk. IV)
2 medium Panzer Company (Pz. Mk. V)
1 independent Heavy Panzer Company (Pz. Mk. VI)
Pz. Mk. IV (lg)--- 4
Pz. Mk. V---- 11 (+10 on 25 March and +10 on 10 April)
Pz. Mk. VI— 11

Staff/, 1/ Muncheberg Panzer Artillery Regiment
Muncheberg Reconnaisance Company
Muncheberg Panzerjager Company
Muncheberg Pioneer Company
Muncheberg Signals Company
Mucnheberg Feldersatz Battalion
Muncheberg Supply Troops

An OKH order dated 18 April 1945 shows that the Kummersdorf Battalion and the 1/29 Panzer Regiment were organized into an ad hoc regiment. The Kummersdorf, or 1st battalion had a staff,
a staff company, a Tiger Company (formerly 3/Kummersdorf Panzer Battalion), a Panther company, a mixed Panzer company, and a supply company. The 1/29th or 2nd Battalion had a staff, a staff company, a Panther company, a "special equipment" panzer company, a panzergrenadier company in half-tracks, a "special equipment" panzergrenadier company, a supply company and a maintenance company.
On 20 March 1945 the 1/29th Panzer Regiment was ordered reorganized with four companies.
The 1st, 2nd and 4th companies were to be organized with ten tanks, and the 3rd company was organized with 14 Pz. Mk. VI Tigers. However, indications are that only Panther Mk. V tanks were shipped to the division. Orders were issued on 7 April 1945 for a Panther company of the 1/29th Panzer regiment and a company of the 25th Panzergrenadier regiment, then in Wunsdorf, to join the division. Both companies were equipped with infra-red equipment.
The division was destroyed in Berlin and its survivers passed into Russian captivity on 3 May 1945."

Well, this is just a start. Best Regards, David :D

Timo

Post by Timo » 17 May 2002, 17:08

Hallo David,

I'll check for Muncheberg next time I am in Freiburg, as Nafziger is notorious for his error riddled book.

Cheers,
Timo

David C. Clarke

Thanks Timo!

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 17:32

Thanks Timo, I felt that Nafziger was 1) easy to grab on my way to work and 2) just a basic work to give some idea of the division's structure. As we proceed, I'll post other tidbits concerning its TO&E, including the note for this division from the Kriegsgliederung for 9. Armee as of 7 April 1945-- translation courtesy of Jason von Zerneck and Forrest Opper.
I'm counting on your usual thoroughness and excellent research ability to help resolve many of the questions that will undoubtedly pop up. Very Best Regards, David :D

Timo

Re: Thanks Timo!

Post by Timo » 17 May 2002, 17:49

David C. Clarke wrote:I'm counting on your usual thoroughness and excellent research ability
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well, for the moment I've contacted a good friend who owns a lot of weird, rare, unknown unit histories, many of them written by veterans. Often published in private on a very small scale, and sometimes nothing more then a bundle of xerox or even carbonpaper copies of the original. I hope he has something on Muncheberg or knows were to find it.

Cheers,
Timo

David C. Clarke

Well See!

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 18:36

See Timo, that just proves my point! Heh Heh! You are amazingly resourcefull!

But please bear with me as I post another snippet from Nafziger. :D

Lineage:

Another note from Nafziger's (see above), page 204-205 "103rd Panzer Brigade":

"On 24 January 1945 the Staff/103rd Panzer Brigade was assigned to command a Panzer Kampfgruppe consisting of panzer regimental staff with the 2/9th Panzer regiment, 1 (Panther)/29th Panzer Regiment and 1 (Panther)/39th Regiment. The 2/9th was ordered organized with two companies, each with 13 Pz. IV/70 and three Pz. Mk. IV command tanks.
On 19 January 1945 14 Pz. Mk. IV tanks were shipped to the Battalion and on 22 February a further 26 Pz. IV/70 (V) were shipped. On 21 January 1945 the 1/29th Panzer Regiment consisted of a company of 14 Jagdpanthers and a company of 14 Pz. IV/70 (A). The 1/39th Panzer Regiment was ordered completed on 22 January 1945 with a battalion staff and three Panther companies, each with 14 Pz. Mk. V Panther tanks. The 45 Panthers necessary for this were shipped between 16 and 22nd January. After heavy losses against the Russians, the brigade was ordered disbanded on 5 March 1945. The staff was used to form the division staff of the Muncheberg Panzer Division. The 1/29th was stripped of its tanks and sent to the Munchenberg (sic) division. Four of its Pz. Mk. IV were given to the 17th Panzer Division, 12 Pz. IV/70 went to the 20th Panzer Division, and six Jagdpanthers went to the 8th Panzer division."

So, another piece to the puzzle. 103rd Panzer Brigade is disbanded on 5 March 1945. "Muncheberg" is formed on 8 March 1945. 103rd Panzer Brigade Staff and the now tankless 1/29 Panzer become the nucleus of "Muncheberg Panzer Division". Best Regards, David :D

JC

Pz.Div. Müncheberg

Post by JC » 17 May 2002, 19:20

Generalmajor d. Reserve Werner Mummert was the only commander of Pz.Div. Müncheberg. He had become Kdr. of 103rd Panzerbrigade on 1 February. Mummert won both the Eichenlaub and Schwerter in 1944 as Oberst d.Res. and Kdr. Panzergrenadierregiment 103/14 Panzerdivision.

Jeff

David C. Clarke

Hi Jeff!

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 19:35

Hi Jeff! Welcome aboard. That's excellent information and answers a question I had about Mummert. Could you please give us a citation for the information--it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping this thread will just keep growing, so I really appreciate your input! Very Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 17 May 2002, 19:48

Here's the link to THIS WEBSITE's info on Munchberg!

check it out!

no contribution is too small :wink:

http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/heer- ... heberg.htm

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 17 May 2002, 19:50

Panzer Division "Muncheberg"

Geschichte der Division

Aufgestellt im Wehrkreis III am 9 März 1945.

1945 - Ostfront:

Reserve Panzer Division für die 9. Armee (Armee-Gruppe Weichsel).

Panzer Abteilung "Kummersdorf" abgestellt nach Happengarten.

Schicksal: bei Kriegsende noch im Aufstellungsprozeß

Gliederung:

Panzer Division "Muncheberg" 1945 Ostfront

Panzer Abteilung "Kummersdorf"

Panzer Abteilung "Muncheberg"

Panzer Grenadier Regiment "Muncheberg"

Panzer Artillerie Regiment "Muncheberg"

Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung "Muncheberg"

Panzerjäger Abteilung (mot) 682

Heeres Flak Artillerie Abteilung (mot) 301

Panzer Spähwagen Kompanie "Muncheberg"

Panzer Pionier Kompanie (mot) "Muncheberg"

Panzer Feldersatz Bataillon "Muncheberg"

Panzer Nachrichten Kompanie "Muncheberg"

Panzer Versorgungstruppen

David C. Clarke

Thanks Dan!

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 20:01

Thank You Dan! Now don't you have a Graduation Rehersal to go to (chuckle)? Seriously though, no contribution is too small, thanks much and Best Of Luck! Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Timo

Post by Timo » 17 May 2002, 20:06

Bits and pieces from online sources:

"Various units received IR Panthers including 116th Panzer Division (3rd company of 24th Panzer Regiment, Western Front, Summer of 1944), Sixth SS Panzer Army (Hungary, early 1945), Panzer Division Muncheberg and Clausewitz." (http://www.achtungpanzer.com/ir.htm)

Panzer Abteilung Kummersdorf
Having received the last five Tiger Is to be issued on 23 February 1945, this unit joined the makeshift Panzer Division Muncheberg in an attempt to halt the Russian advance. Absorbing remnants from other units it reported having 13 Tigers of which ten were operational on 15 April 1945. (http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers-02.htm)

David C. Clarke

Hi Timo!

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 May 2002, 20:15

Hi Timo, a question ocurs to me--
"Having received the last five Tiger Is to be issued on 23 February 1945"--
I didn't think that Tiger I's weren't still in production in February 1945. So what would "the last five Tiger Is to be issued" mean? And, do we have any information as to whether or not Muncheberg fielded Tiger IIs as well? Best Regards, David :D

JC

Müncheberg

Post by JC » 17 May 2002, 20:32

Hi Guys,

Sorry about omitting the source for previous info....

Mummert's posting to Pz.Brg. 103 & to Mücheberg can be found in Die Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945, FÜHRUNG UND TRUPPE, by Kurt Mehner.

List and dates for Mummert's awards is from the Ritterkreuz conferral card file from Bundesarchiv, and his assignment at the time (PgR 103) is from Die Generale des Heeres , by Wolf Keilig.

Jeff

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”