Kampfgruppe "von Gottberg" - June 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
MAXIS

Kampfgruppe "von Gottberg" - June 1944

Post by MAXIS » 29 Aug 2003, 23:56

On late June 1944 to stop the german breakdown in Bielorussia, near Grodno and Njemen river, was organized a Sperrverband “Wiedling” formed with:
5 Panzer-Division
50 Infanterie-Division
Kampfgruppe “Florke”
Kampfgruppe “ Von Gottberg”

I need all available details about KG Von Gottberg: structure, operations and more.

Best
Max

Matt Gibbs

Some details

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Aug 2003, 01:59

For info.
October 1943 SS-General Kurt von Gottberg, stationed in White Ruthenia, offers to integrate Kaminski's unit into the Waffen-SS and a Waffen-SS officer commission for Kaminski himself. Kaminski agrees on the condition that the militia's relatives are not left unprotected, in April 1944 "SS-Kampfgruppe von Gottberg" with 4,000 Germans and auxiliary troops has Kaminski and 29th WSS fighting versus 15,000 Soviet partisans in the Ushachi region and clearing the Orsha-Lepel rail line.

Also
ANHALT, Günther
(* 23.01.1906
in Breslau / Schlesien;
+ 25.04.1945
in Berlin) RK: SS-Staf., Kdr. SS-Polizei-Rgt. 2 / Kampfgruppe "von Gottberg" / Heeresgruppe Mitte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DKiG: SS-Ostubaf.u.Obstlt.d.Schupo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promotions:
SS-Staf.u.Oberst d.Pol.: ; SS-Ostubaf.u.Obstlt.d.Schupo; RK: 12.08.44;
DKiG: 16.06.44;
EK I: 25.06.40;
EK II: 16.10.39
Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Bronze

GOTTBERG, Curt von
(* 11.02.1896
in Preussisch-Wilten / Ostpreussen;
+ 9.05.1945
in Leutzhöft / Kreis Flensburg RK: SS-Ogruf.u.Gen.d.Pol., Kdr. Kampfgruppe “von Gottberg”

DKiG: SS-Brigf.u.Gen.Maj.d.Pol., Kdr. Kampfgruppe “von Gottberg” and SS u.Pol.Fhr. “Weissruthenien”

Promotions:
Gen.d.W-SS:; SS-Ogruf.u.Gen.d.Pol.: ; SS-Gruf.u.Gen.Lt.d.Pol.: ; SS-Brigf.u.Gen.Maj.d.Pol.: ; SS-Oberf.: ; SS-Staf.: ; SS-Ostubaf.: ; SS-Stubaf.: ;

NSDAP-Nr.:
SS-Nr.: RK: 30.06.1944;
DKiG: 7.08.1943;
1939 Spange zum 1914 EK I: 20.02.1943;
1939 Spange zum 1914 EK II: 6.12.1942;
1914 EK I;
1914 EK II;

AND

Kampfgruppe von Gottberg: Befehl vom 1.8.1943:
Die Kommission weist richtig darauf hin, dass der Zusatzbefehl zur Schaffung einer „Toten Zone“, anders als in der Ausstellung dargestellt, ergangen sei, nachdem die Heeresbataillone der Feldkommandantur Minsk abgezogen worden waren. Anders als einige Kritiker, die bei ihrer Deutung diesen Befehl isolieren, ordnet ihn die Kommission in den dazugehörigen Kontext ein – in das Partisanenunternehmen „Hermann“ und in die im Rahmen dieses Einsatzes insgesamt ergangenen Befehle. Sie leitet daraus die Feststellung ab, dass „u.a. vier Bataillone und eine Batterie der Oberfeldkommandantur 392“ beteiligt waren und dass „die Masse der insgesamt 4280 Feindtoten ... nicht im Kampf, sondern erst nach der Gefangennahme getötet“ worden seien (S. 69 f.). Im Gegensatz zu den Kritikern, die jede Beteiligung der Wehrmacht an diesem Mord leugnen, stellt die Kommission fest: „Die Heeresbataillone sind hierbei in nicht näher zu erfassender Weise beteiligt gewesen (S. 70).

TRANSLATION FROM ONLINE TRANSLATOR:
Battle group of Gottberg: command of the 1.8.1943: the commission refers correctly on that that the addition commands to the creation one „dead zone represented“, unlike in the display, issued would be after the army battalions of the Feldkommandantur Minsk had been drawn-off. Unlike some critics, who isolate this command in its interpretation, the commission in the pertinent context organizes it a – into the partisan business „here man“ and in that in the frame of this use altogether issued commands. It does not divert from that the determination that „u. a were involved. four battalions and a battery of the Oberfeldkommandantur 392“ and that „the mass of the altogether 4280 enemy dead... in the battle, but rather first after the capture killed“ become would be (S. 69 f.) In contrast to the critics, that deny each participation of the armed forces at this murder, the commission places firmly: „the army battalions were herewith in not nearer to grasping manner involved (S. 70).

Also attached to kampfgruppe Von Gottberg was the almost infamous Dirlewanger brigade. They were ordered to participatre in the Operation Fruhlungsfest [Spring Festival] in antipartisan duties. This ran from April 11th to May 10th 1944. Other german units included 2nd SS Pol Reg. 24th SS Pol Reg. 3rd Battalion Pol Reg.31 and 2nd Batt. Pol Reg. 36, plus the Kaminski brigade. The 3rd Panzer Army also sent Security Reg 64, enginer Battalion 743 and the 3rd Coy Anti Tank Battalion 256 plus 3 armoured trains!!

On July 2nd 1944 Kampfgruppe v.Gottberg was assigned to 4th Armee. His mission was to delay Soviet advance on Minsk. This was a failure and at 9am on 4th July Gottberg had to report that the defence of Minsk had collapsed.

If you require more info let me know...

Regards

Matt Gibbs

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 30 Aug 2003, 10:45

Many thks Matt!
Very interesting the document you quote.
If I well understood fm my bad german, Wehrmacht deny any involvement in killing of 4280 partisan (civilian?): about this point we could open an endless debate...... as in Germany well knows!

About the tactical structure of KG “Von Gottberg” in July, do you have any info? Following Tessin, all the Polizei-Regiment 17, coming fm Warsaw, become part of it. Any idea?

Thks a Lot
Max

Matt Gibbs

Today

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Aug 2003, 10:56

I am going to look into this today for you while it is quiet at work LOL. I will have a look up the tac structure and the combining units and try and fond something for ya.
Bye for now
Matt Gibbs

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 30 Aug 2003, 21:14

:D Ok. Thks a lot!

Best
Max

Matt Gibbs

Information

Post by Matt Gibbs » 31 Aug 2003, 02:02

Kampfgruppe von Gottberg - info from my library...

The first reference I have found so far to this group of units is in White Russia in October 1942. They were under the overall direction of HSSPf von dem Bach, to whom von Gottberg, I assume, was subordinated.[?] They took part in an operation behind the front of Army Group Centre. During this the Kampfgruppe reported the following enemy losses; 798 partisans killed, 353 suspects executed, 1826 Jews shot and 7 gypsies killed. The Dirlewanger Brigade was part of the Battle Group on this operation. Not sure of operations between this date and end of December 1942 but then the following operations took place against partisans, which seems a specialty behind the lines activity for this battlegroup.[ Operations Franz, Erntefest 1 and 2 and Hornung were organised with liason of the HSSPf White Russia.] Franz took place from 28 December to 14 January in the sector of Berezino, Khutor, Novaya Niva, Novyye Lyady, Petrovka and Bogushevichi. Kampfgruppe Kutschera attacked from the north of the sector and Kampfgruppe von Gottberg from the south. SS Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger was a part of the Kutschera force. KG Gottberg reported the following casualties; 1349 partisans killed and 280 rifles, and 7.62mm howitzer, 2 anti tank guns and 2 heavy mortars captured. [source the cruel hunters by FL Maclean]
In the operation named Hornung I have noted that Curt von Gottberg was in overall command but I am not sure that the group involved was named KG vGottberg. This was in the areas of the Pripet marshes, from February 11 to 17 1943. The partisans were numerically strong in this area, around 3 to 4000. The whole force included Pol Rgt 2, 1st Bat.Pol.Rgt23 , Pol.Rgt.13 , Pol.Rgt 10 and 101st Slovakian Inf.Rgt. 9662 Partisans were claimed to be killed in this vast operation. Also, on 8 March 1943 Gottberg sent a message to SS Gruppenfuhrer Maximillian von Herff to state 3,300 Jews were killed in this operation.

On July 7th 1943 Operation Hermann was begun by KG vGottberg. This took place in the Rakov, Radoshkovichi, Zaslavl’, Grodek, Ivenec, Volozhyn and Niemen river areas. It included 1st SS Inf.Brig. SS-Pol Rgt 2 Schuma Battallions 115, 118 and 15, SS Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger and Pol.Rgt. 31. [from Einsatzbehfel KGr vGottberg dated 7.7.43.] The group was credited with an assault day [for award purposes] on 10th July 1943 at Molodsi. I am not sure of casualty figures etc for this immense operation but the killed and captured totals registered by the Dirlewanger brigade alone were significant. On 15th August 1943 for his conduct in this and other operations in 1942 Dirlewanger was recommended for the DkiG by von Gottberg and von dem Bach. HSSPf White Russia reported the following strength of men available for partisan operations to Himmlers staff on 31.8.43; Pol.Rgt.31 had 1868 men, SS-Pol.Rgt 2 had 2310 men, SS-Pol.Rgt.26 had 1799 men and SS Sond.Batt Dirlewanger had 550 men.

Soviet actions in November 1943 led to the despatch of Polizei Kampfgruppe von Gottberg to the sector NW of Vitebsk on 5 November. On 7th November heavy fighting broke out and and several casualties were sustained. KG vGottberg Tagesbehfel 2 dated 11.11.43 in archives microfilm T354 Roll 648 contains this information. On 6th December 1943 the command of the Kampfgruppe was handed over to Pol.Oberst Stahn. I am not sure of it’s exact composition but it is a fair assumption that it contained elements of all the regiments noted above. These forces were engaged with Russian troops right through the Dec/Jan period.

On April 11th 1944 another operation was commenced by Kampfgruppe von Gottberg, this was Fruhlungsfest or Spring Festival. It was an anti partisan operation in the Lepel’ – Usaci area. It ran from 11th April to 10th May. It covered quite an area and this time involved units from SS-Pol.Rgt 2, SS-Pol.Rgt.24 , SS-Pol.Rgt.26 , two Schuma battalions, SD Battalion 23, 4rd Battalion Pol.Rgt 31 , 2nd Batt.Pol.Rgt. 36 S Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger and Group Kaminski.Also attached were Security Rgt.64 , Engineer Batt.743 , 3rd coy Anti-Tank Batt. 256 of 3rd Panzer Army and 3 armoured trains! [KG Einsatzbehfel 11.4.44]. Partisans in this heavily wooded and large area were estimated to be in the region of 14000 ! There were several brigades of guerila forces. The concept of the operation was simply destruction of these insurgent forces. The plan was to use the 3rd Panzers forces to establish a line on the west bank of Lake Gomel by fighting from the west and for the rest of Kampfgruppe von Gottberg to attack towards these forces from the southwest and south in 4 groups. This operation involved fierce fighting and close combat situations.
On 21 June 1944 Curt von Gottberg received the Infantry Assault badge.

During July 1944 Kampfgruppe von Gottberg was thrown into the attempted defense of White Russia. His force comprised at this time parts of several units, non were probably up to full strength – but this is speculative. There were Pol.Rgt’s 2, 4, 17, 22, 26, 34 and 36, Heavy Artillery detachment 861 and Pol.Panzer.Coy’s 12 and 20. On 2nd July 1944 the KG was assigned directly to the command of German 4th Army. Their mission was to delay the sovier advances on the city of Minsk. By 9am on 3rd July the defense had collapsed, he refused to be subordinated to 6th army corps stating his forces were seriously mauled and withdrew them to defensive positions east of Lida, along the Lida – Molodecno railway line. By 6th July this was completed and a screen of police troops was deployed here, strength centering on Iyve. Soviet forces attacked on 7th July, by this time SS Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger was also in this area. By evening of 8th July Russian forces captured Lida. Von Gottbergs troops were ordered to reform at Grodno on 9th July. They moved there but huge Russian forces had captured this town by 16th July.

I do not have any information to hand about the formation or deployment of the Ksampfgruppe after this time. Do you know of any more involvement it had before being broken up…? I assume these forces were engaged with Russian troops after this time. I hope that some of this information about this battle group is of some use and that some of the information might be new to you. :D

Kind Regards

Matt Gibbs

genstab

Kampfgruppe von Gottberg

Post by genstab » 31 Aug 2003, 02:14

Gerd Niepold's excellent book "Battle for White Russia" gives the content of Group von Gottberg on 2 July 1944 as:
Muller Force: eight strong battalions but few heavy weapons; added to help it was a panzergrenadier battalion group from 5. Panzer Division and 505 Schwere Pz Abt.
Anhalt Force: ten battalions, mostly police and security troolps, two artillery batteries and an air defense battalion
Florke Force: elements of 12. Grenadier Regt (31. Infanteriediv) and 48. Grenadier Regt (12. Infanteriediv) and of 27. Fusilier Regt plus alarm units and stragglers with few heavy weapons
On the evening of 3 July VI Army Corps was placed under Group von Gottberg (337. Infanteriediv only apparently)
By 4 July Muller Force had 400 men, Anhalt 300 to 400, and 650 men from 337. ID. Elements of 48.Grenadier Regt (12. ID were arriving.
4. Army ordered Gottberg now to place himself under VI Corps but he declined. He stated all his troops had been cut to pieces and headed off west, ordering all police units to assemble under him. Anhalt Force stayed put and was placed under VI. Armeekorps.
By 5 July 5. Panzerdiv (for a day till it was given to Corps von Saucken) and 170. ID had been added to the Corps.
On 6 July Group von Gottberg had a screen of police troops on a railway line and a police regiment under its command.
On 7 July a second police rifle regiment is mentioned under Group von Gottberg.
I did a fast scan of this book, which has an awful lot of data in it about both sides in the battle. There doesn't seem to be anything more about Group von Gottberg- the book stops its coverage of the battle (evidently over) on 9 July.
The 15 July OKH Generalstab Op. Abt. III schematic O/B still shows Group von Gottberg under Group Weidling (VI Armeekorps), 4. Armee but doesn't give its composition.
Hope this helps.

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 31 Aug 2003, 18:14

Many thks Matt & Genstab, really excellent replies. :D

After mid july 1944 I havefragments of infos only:

Stab KG”Von Gottberg”: lost mostly controlled units beginning fm mid july. In Siedlce till end on July, become an Army Corps command (Generalkommando “von Gottberg”)
Polizei-regiment 2: till August controlled rest of various PR (4,22,26,34,36). Then stab only (probably without any units) transferred to Brandeburg in Autumn (September)
Polizei-Regiment 4 was detached fm KG on 16 July with rests assembled into a (I) formations-bataillon. Retired to Poland to reform regiment.
Polizei-Regiment 17: I/17 retired to Warsaw, involved in smashing the uprising. II/17, coming fm Kovel joined probably later (august/sepember)
Polizei-Regiment 22: rests only (no more than 800 men or less). In Warsaw on August
Polizei-Rgiment 26: surely II and III were in Belorussia on Spring 44, and I/22 in Ukraina. As II and III were formally deleted on November 1944 (usually formal dissolution comes a lot of weeks or months after effectively disappearance of units: consequently we could speculate the total distruction of both bataillons. About I/22 no details available)
Polizei-Regiment 34: on August was in reserve on KG “Reinefahrt” during Warsaw uprising, but not details about strenght and effectiveness (probably very low, as in reserve...I suppose a single bataillon only)
Polizei-Regiment 36. officilally disbanded on 30 Agust 44. Totally destroyed.
Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie 2 : remained operative till late August; then rests (personnel only, transferred to Wien)
Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie 7: on July and August along Vistola
Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie 10: beginning of july retired to Vienna (in good shape enough)
Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie 12: personnel only; late july in Frankfurt bei Oder

Sooner I’ll examine the rest of Matts’ post.

Best and thks
Max

MAXIS

Re: Information

Post by MAXIS » 31 Aug 2003, 21:00

Matt Gibbs wrote:Kampfgruppe von Gottberg

The first reference I have found so far to this group of units is in White Russia in October 1942. They took part in an operation behind the front of Army Group Centre.
Following my infos could be Unternahmer “Nurnberg” ended on late Novembre 1942
Matt Gibbs wrote: In the operation named Hornung I have noted that Curt von Gottberg was in overall command but I am not sure that the group involved was named KG vGottberg.
Effectively Von Gottberg was in overall kommand, but KG were named West, Nord, Sud and Ost.
Matt Gibbs wrote: On July 7th 1943 Operation Hermann was begun by KG vGottberg. It included Schuma Battallions 115, 118 and 15
Extremely interesting the involving of this units in Operation Hermann: news for me!

Matt Gibbs wrote: KG vGottberg Tagesbehfel 2 dated 11.11.43 in archives microfilm T354 Roll 648 contains this information. On 6th December 1943 the command of the Kampfgruppe was handed over to Pol.Oberst Stahn. I am not sure of it’s exact composition but it is a fair assumption that it contained elements of all the regiments noted above.
Seems that KG was formed with Polizei-Regimenter 2, 13 and 24 with some Polizei-Panzer-Kompanien. Unternahmen “Heinrich”
Matt Gibbs wrote: On April 11th 1944 another operation was commenced by Kampfgruppe von Gottberg, this was Fruhlungsfest or Spring Festival. It ran from 11th April to 10th May. It covered quite an area and this time involved units from SS-Pol.Rgt 2, SS-Pol.Rgt.24 , SS-Pol.Rgt.26 , two Schuma battalions, SD Battalion 23, 4rd Battalion Pol.Rgt 31 , 2nd Batt.Pol.Rgt. 36 S Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger and Group Kaminski.

SD-Bataillon 23:
This is a very esotheric unit! Someone has any infos about this unit? It could be also called SD-Kommando SSPF “Weissruthenien”. Not to confuse with Lettische-Schuma-Bataillon 23.

Best
Max

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 02 Jun 2006, 15:49

This is what I have for KGr. Gottberg in 1944 :
Brigade "Dirlewanger"
Brigade "Kaminski"
SS-Pol.-Rgt. 2
SS-Pol.-Rgt. 24
III./Pol.-Rgt. 31
II./Pol.-Rgt. 36
ausserdem wahrscheinlich:
Pol.-Rgt. 17(?)
Sicherungs-Rgt. 64
PiBtl. 743
und diverse kleiner Einheiten
http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... berg#57224

Jan-Hendrik

Jan-Hendrik

Re: Kampfgruppe "von Gottberg" - June 1944

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 21 Jul 2016, 13:26

Mid July, per Vopersal, Vol. Va, page 15:

Kdr. SS-Ogrufhr. von Gottberg
Adj. SS-Stubaf. Helmut Herzig
Chef des Stabes OTL i.G. Ullrich Ulms
Ia Maj.d.Schupo Eugen Beck

SS-PolRgt.2 SS-Stafhr. Günter Anhalt
I.Btl. ??
II.Btl. ??
III.Btl. ??

SS-PolRgt.22 Oberst der Schupo ? Harrison
I.Btl. Major der Schupo ? Köhler
II.Btl. Major der Schupo ? Weigt

Gend.Abt.(mot.) Hauptmann der Gend. ? Eckhardt

SS-PolRgt.17 OTL der Schupo ? Lechtaler
II.Btl. Hptm. der Schupo ? Strecker
III.Btl. Major der Schupo ? Rogalla

PolSchtzRgt.31 Oberst der Schupo Hannibal
(z.Zeit beim XXXIX.PzKps)

unterstellte Einheiten:

Art.Brigade-Stab 704 Major ? Weidner
PzAA 12 Major Hans Egelien
PzAA 5 ??
SS-Flak-Abt I/ Kmdo.Stab RFSS SS-Hstuf. Hurbertus Fiebinger
2.PolPzKp. Hptm der Schupo Petzold

Jan-Hendrik

Joda

Post by Joda » 15 Nov 2017, 10:40

Hi ,
I took this old thread because I need to know if "Polizei-Nachrichten-Kompanie 11" was part of Kampfgruppe von Gottberg.
Any chance to know?
Thanks in advance

schwarzermai

Post by schwarzermai » 15 Nov 2017, 17:56

Hi Joda,

yes - but in 1943

uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

Joda

Post by Joda » 15 Nov 2017, 20:14

Thanks Uwe
exclusively in 1943? No data about 1944?

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 06 Aug 2019, 10:59

Add info - Herzig
Attachments
594.jpg
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”