Nordland

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Marcus

Post by Marcus » 14 Apr 2002, 15:46

Polynike wrote:where did you find it panzermeyer and can any post some goos photo websites thanks
He found it at http://www.wiking.org/ and he copied the text from http://www.wiking.org/topics/nordland.htm

/Marcus
Last edited by Marcus on 14 Apr 2002, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 14 Apr 2002, 15:48

thanks marcus checking it out right now

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 14 Apr 2002, 15:50

This well known photo of a blown-up armored car in Berlin was actually one of the Schwedish Kompanie's vehicles in the Nordland Division. It could have been company commander Pehrssons command vehicle that was shot up on the Friedrichstrasse just south of the Hitler Chancellery on the 1st of May, 1945. The fallen Unterscharführern to the right of the armored car is in that case identical with the driver in the car, Ragnar Johansson from Stockholm, that was killed by a Russian handgrenade. It's most likely that the armored car had participtaed in the attempt to break out of the city on the night to the 2nd of May. The picture was taken by the Russian reporter Mark Redkin. At a picture reconstructuion, at place in Berlin, the researcher Lennart Westberg positioned the place for the photo to be Friedrichstrasse 107 with the walls of the guardhouse in the backround, 200m north of the river Spree.
http://www.feldgrau.com/sweden.html
More info on Swedish volunteers - http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/ss-sweden.htm

/Marcus

Dan

Post by Dan » 14 Apr 2002, 17:28

Panzermeyer, thanks. I just learned something from you. In South Africa, the nationalists use the "triple seven" type of cross you posted a picture of for SS Langemarck. I see now that the origins of that symbol must have come from the Langemarck or Westland Division.

Thanks!
Dan

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 14 Apr 2002, 18:23

Thanks Marcus fot the answer, usually you just have to right click on the photo to see the corresponding url.

Snafu

Post by Snafu » 14 Apr 2002, 19:11

That's the caption yes. I was going to look for the halftrack photo myself in my spare time but I see you beat me to it.

Regards,
Snafu

Mr S

Post by Mr S » 15 Apr 2002, 21:45

Well, about the insignas....a sunwheel is NOT the same as a swatsica, and the "tripppel seven" is used by AWB (~ Africaaniche Westands Bewegung, neonazi (Boer) group in RSA)dont know if theres a connection with div"Langmark" but woulnt be supprised...Mr S

Dan

Post by Dan » 15 Apr 2002, 21:52

Mr S wrote:Well, about the insignas....a sunwheel is NOT the same as a swatsica, and the "tripppel seven" is used by AWB (~ Africaaniche Westands Bewegung, neonazi (Boer) group in RSA)dont know if theres a connection with div"Langmark" but woulnt be supprised...Mr S
The AWB, Afrikanerweerstandbewegung, had some small neo-nazi elements in it. I also wouldn't be suprised if some inspiration for the triple seven came from the Westland Divisional insignia. By all account, these were patriotic, antiCommunist solid men, who weren't involved in atrocities. They were also recruted heavily from the Vlaams people, who share much with the Afrikaners.

Dan

Mr S

Post by Mr S » 15 Apr 2002, 21:53

P.S take a look at http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/im.html....Those old symbols can be found in many contries, if someone didnt know; the swatstica is from the beginning from India(!) :idea: and both the Danich Carlsberg brewery and and Swedish Asea (now a part of ABB) used the swatstica before/during ~ 1930
Mr S

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 15 Apr 2002, 21:54

Mr S wrote:P.S take a look at http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/im.html....Those old symbols can be found in many contries, if someone didnt know; the swatstica is from the beginning from India(!) :idea: and both the Danich Carlsberg brewery and and Swedish Asea (now a part of ABB) used the swatstica before/during ~ 1930
Mr S
Actually I seem to recall that Carlsberg got rid of theirs pretty much after the invasion in 1940. Probably to stay non-political -- they're a brewery, not a political organization.

Mr S

Post by Mr S » 16 Apr 2002, 21:00

Dan wrote:The AWB, Afrikanerweerstandbewegung, had some small neo-nazi elements in it.
small???
By the way, the name of the symbol is "triskelon" or maybe "triscelon" and is (was?)used by AWB in black, on a white circel on a red background...Mr S

Dan

Post by Dan » 16 Apr 2002, 21:21

Mr S wrote:Dan wrote:The AWB, Afrikanerweerstandbewegung, had some small neo-nazi elements in it.
small???
By the way, the name of the symbol is "triskelon" or maybe "triscelon" and is (was?)used by AWB in black, on a white circel on a red background...Mr S
Originally, we only had a few leaders with this political bent. Many of us left because of the scandalous behavior of Eugene Terreblanche, and afterwards the organization attracted misfits and racists, lasted a couple of years, then died out.

The three sevens meant the number of God, as apposed to the number of the Beast, 666. The red was intended to symbolise the Blood of Christ, and if you want to e-mail me we can discuss this further. The arraingement of the 7's, I now believe, was influenced by the Langemarck emblem.

Best
Dan

Ron251

Post by Ron251 » 19 Nov 2007, 17:08

Hello gentlemen,
If I understood correctly there was some fierce fighting in the town of Gubanizy, done by the 11.SS Pz-AA.
Does anybody know where to find this town??
I checked several maps/sites, but I can not trace it.
Was it perhaps renamed, like Oranienbaum or Dorpat? ( Wolossowo and Ratu, if I'm not mistaken).
Thanks for any help. It would really help me piece togerther some things.
(I am researching Casper Sporck and his actions)

cheers
Ron

Peeter

Post by Peeter » 19 Nov 2007, 20:16

Dorpat is Tartu (city in Estland) in German.

Ron251

Post by Ron251 » 19 Nov 2007, 20:21

Hi Peeter,
thanks for your reply...
I know it is Tartu. Why I wrote Ratu... God knows....
And it should be SS Pz-AA. 11, not the other way around..

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”