Standartenjunker Protopopoff French SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Panzermahn

Re: Standartenjunker Protopopoff French SS

Post by Panzermahn » 20 Dec 2010, 14:55

Hi Ustuf.33

I finally found out the names of Leon M. in my notes.

Leon M. is Léon Merdjian. He and Léon Vatchnadzé are 15 years old when they enlisted in LVF in 1941 and were Georgian emigres to France.

I had a picture of Léon Vatchnadzé with Count Jacques Collas de Gourmay who at 57 years, one of the oldest members of the LVF. The picture of them were taken by a German PK photographer who wanted to take a photo of the youngest and oldest members of the LVF together.

Léon Vatchnadzé served in the LVF kapell and Count de Gourmay was a sprachmittler in the LVF staff since the latter spoke good German

Panzermahn

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 20 Dec 2010, 15:00

It would be interesting to know if there were Armenian emigres (France and Armenia had good relationships) besides Georgian and Russian emigres serving in the LVF

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 20 Dec 2010, 16:17

I know légionnaire STAMBOLIAN, who serves in 9th company of LVF in 1943... that's all !

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 05 Jan 2011, 01:10

There is another small photo of Protopopoff in French uniform with a LMG in the book "Militaerischer Fuehrernachwuchs der Waffen-SS - Die Junkerschulen" by Richard Schulze Kossens but no information other than that he was killed in action in Berlin at the end of April, 1945.

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 05 Jan 2011, 01:55

do you have this photo please??

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 05 Jan 2011, 02:26

Ustuf.33 wrote:do you have this photo please??
I have the book. I may have a copy of the photo also but cannot locate it right now. If you send me a PM I may be able to email you a scan when I have located it.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 05 Jan 2011, 03:21

Ljotrulf wrote:There is another small photo of Protopopoff in French uniform with a LMG in the book "Militaerischer Fuehrernachwuchs der Waffen-SS - Die Junkerschulen" by Richard Schulze Kossens but no information other than that he was killed in action in Berlin at the end of April, 1945.
Hi Ljotrulf

Is this the same photo used in Landwehr's Charlemagne Legionnaires booklet? There are two photos of Protopopoff in Milice uniform and French beret posing with a machine gun

Panzermahn

Malbret17

Post by Malbret17 » 05 Jan 2011, 16:29

Hi,
Serge Protopopoff had never been milician.
The photo where we can see him with a large beret and submachine-gun had been taken in Officers school in Montargis, probably by André Zucca.
This photographer took also color photos in this school and several of lieutenant Inglès who was in LVF on East Front and had been killed in South of France by German soldiers. His name is on the stele.

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 05 Jan 2011, 19:27

Panzermahn wrote:
Ljotrulf wrote:There is another small photo of Protopopoff in French uniform with a LMG in the book "Militaerischer Fuehrernachwuchs der Waffen-SS - Die Junkerschulen" by Richard Schulze Kossens but no information other than that he was killed in action in Berlin at the end of April, 1945.
Hi Ljotrulf

Is this the same photo used in Landwehr's Charlemagne Legionnaires booklet? There are two photos of Protopopoff in Milice uniform and French beret posing with a machine gun

Panzermahn
Hello Panzermahn

I don't have Landwehr's book so I cannot say for certain. The photo in Schulze-Kossens' book shows Protopopoff from the from in the prone position behind what looks like FM 24/29 light machine gun. A now-deceased Estonian veteran who lived in England gave me a copy of this photo since he knew I had an interest in foreign volunteers of the W-SS. However, he did not know the name of the man pictured at the time, only that he was a Frenchman who died fighting in Berlin.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 06 Jan 2011, 03:23

Malbret17 wrote:Hi,
Serge Protopopoff had never been milician.
The photo where we can see him with a large beret and submachine-gun had been taken in Officers school in Montargis, probably by André Zucca.
This photographer took also color photos in this school and several of lieutenant Inglès who was in LVF on East Front and had been killed in South of France by German soldiers. His name is on the stele.
Hi Malbret17,

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know anymore pictures of Protopopoff (from French sources) besides these two?

Hello Panzermahn

I don't have Landwehr's book so I cannot say for certain. The photo in Schulze-Kossens' book shows Protopopoff from the from in the prone position behind what looks like FM 24/29 light machine gun. A now-deceased Estonian veteran who lived in England gave me a copy of this photo since he knew I had an interest in foreign volunteers of the W-SS. However, he did not know the name of the man pictured at the time, only that he was a Frenchman who died fighting in Berlin.
Hi Ljotrulf

Yes, it's the same photo that were used in Landwehr's publication. The only two known photos of Protopopoff at least in English language publications. Unfortunately Robert Forbes' For Europe has few photographs of the French Waffen SS.

Thanks
Panzermahn

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 06 Jan 2011, 23:27

please Malbrecht17, do you have more information about Leutnant Aimé Inglès ?
I know he arrives on eastern front in january 1944, he serves on 5th company (maybe platoon chief) and 6th company (chief of company). He dies againt germans 15th april 1945. That I don't understand : is he quit the LVF just before transfering to SS? was he been hurt in fight, so it is the reason he never serves in "Charlemagne" ??

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 10 Jan 2011, 12:14

Panzermahn wrote:Hi Ustuf.33

I finally found out the names of Leon M. in my notes.

Leon M. is Léon Merdjian. He and Léon Vatchnadzé are 15 years old when they enlisted in LVF in 1941 and were Georgian emigres to France.

I had a picture of Léon Vatchnadzé with Count Jacques Collas de Gourmay who at 57 years, one of the oldest members of the LVF. The picture of them were taken by a German PK photographer who wanted to take a photo of the youngest and oldest members of the LVF together.

Léon Vatchnadzé served in the LVF kapell and Count de Gourmay was a sprachmittler in the LVF staff since the latter spoke good German

Panzermahn
I believed this should be Leon Merdjian

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 22 Jan 2019, 23:17

SonderDivision R wrote:
12 Nov 2009, 01:39
... he was supposedly a "Prince" ...
Phil Don wrote:
12 Nov 2009, 11:08
He was the son of the russian consul in Nice.
Who was his father? What kind of prince? In line to the russian throne?

Best
Halfdan S.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”