Goralische Waffen-SS Legion

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
michalst

Goralische Waffen-SS Legion

Post by michalst » 17 Feb 2007, 18:38

Germans tried to form a SS Legion from the Goralenvolk sometime in 1942. Only 300 voluntered, 200 of them where fit for service. These 200 where moved to Trawniki camp when they soon fell in conflict with the ukrainians. Most deserted, unit was disband and few where transfered to labour units in the west or other SS units.

Someone having more information? What happend to the few ones that where transfered to other SS units (which units?)?

Semenov

re

Post by Semenov » 19 Feb 2007, 18:00

I have very much doubt of existence of this part and never anything about it heard. Whence yours information?

michalst

Post by michalst » 19 Feb 2007, 21:38

I have two sources (possible that both used the same main source, I don't know):
-http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goralenvolk
And a book about Józef Kuraś "Ogień" ("Ogień krol Podhala" by Jan Szczerkowski, 2006)

patrynius

Post by patrynius » 29 Mar 2007, 18:54

Goralenvolk is hard topic for us, and still needs investigation, I have to search but I have some articles about it.
Germany-especially Himmler were charmed when they go to Zakopane (polish main "mountain" place..sometimes we said it is our "winter capital" ;) ) - he was charmed about culture, swastikas which was old tradition symbol in here. He believed that our "Gorale" (means highlander) are as the matter of fact old "gemanic" tribe. So.. our "Gorale" became "Goralenvolk"

For real "Gorale" are little diffrent, has they own culture, dialect and so on.

Main reason was that Himmler want to "germanize" Poland land (not people) and take as much "blood" as posibble. Our Higlander were part of great plan - cut our land for little part - and colonize as much as possible.

So Goralenvolk was create - and were said to be true "Germanic" tribe. delegation from Zakopane latter even went to Himmler with traditional "gifts". Himmler later tried to create true "Goralen" Legion.In ID (Kenkarta) Gorale can write "G" instead of "P" (for Polen).. only little of them do it - not so little - because making "G" instead of "P" was very profitable - You got additional food. second reason was, that if You said You are "G"oralen (not "P"olish) Your husband, son etc was release from POW. I have to search true statistics but some about 20to 30% said that they are Goralen.
Later Himmle make an order about taking volunteeres for army - it was collapse for Germans, only couple houndreds declare - later more than 50% run away. So some about 200 was foundament for "Goralisher Waffen SS Legion" (which for real never was create, only plans).
So last part begin even training, but just beside was "Ukrainian camp" (for Ukrainians for "Galizien" Legion).I don't remember were it was exactly - Trawniki probably.
There were lots of conflict with Ukrainians, so lastly rest of "Goralen" were sent to Germany as "Workers".

The main people from Goralische Komittee were
-Krzeptowski Wac³aw (Chairman)
- Józef Cukier (vice)
- Stanis³aw Walczak
- Antoni Olcha-Mirek
-Jerzy Bachleda-Curu¶

20.01.1945 Wac³aw Krzeptowski was hung by polish partisants - but we don't know how it happen and as the matter of fact we don't know any details - Gorale settle it by themself

Goralenvolk is as the matter of fact the only plan of creations "Polish" waffen SS

regards

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 30 Mar 2007, 03:17

Great post, patrynius, thanks.

Best regards,

George

patrynius

Post by patrynius » 30 Mar 2007, 16:58

There is also known one version of Waclaw Krzeptowski dead. Boleslaw Dobrzynski left relation from it (Dobrzynski was the member of "Kurniawa" Squad led by T.Studzinski. Since autumn 1944 Krzeptowski was chased by polish resistance (AK-Home Army); Russians partisants (BTW, why Russians here ;) ) and even.. gestapo. Krzeptowski wanted to be killed by gun, by as Dobrzynski said - he was a traitor so he was hung.

Krzeptowski also left "testament" - as Dobrzynski said written Voluntarily, in which all his property left to "Kurniawa" squad. In that way he want to fulfill to "Polish nation" - was it true, we don't know..

Gorale don't ant to tlk much about it and hole "Goralenvolk"

There is alo littl more facts - During autumn 1939 Gorale sent Pilgrimage on Jasna Gora (Holy Mountain - very important place for polish, almost sacred) organize by Witalis Wieder (originally sent by abwehra). During this days forst contact betwen Gorale and Germans were made.

later generalgouvernor Hans Franks welcomed.. Krzeptowski as chairman of Goralen delegations. KRzeptowski gave him "Golden Stick" as a symbol..

Krzeptowski in someway is tragic person, some realtions is that he became "a Game" with occupatn, somenbody even said that he rescued some about 300 person.. but it only gossips.

After collaps with "Goralen division" (?? ;) ) KRzeptowski isn't no longer "a Goral prince" (as once Franks named Krzeptowski).

Very strange is Witalis Wieder - member of Goralenvolk member and as I said probably Abwehra agent - after 1944 he just dissapered.. Funy thing there is even no pictures of him ;)
Also there were Stefan Krzeptowski - after war arrested by NKVD, died on Siberia
Jozef Cukier (aI mentioned him on last post) - gave 15 years of prison, afetr a few released.

Kuras "ogien" is another story.. but settle on Podhale of course ;)

So-Goralenvolk is strange story for us. Still needs investigations, Im'n not sure but probably on Jagiellonski Uniwersity (in Krakow) was even doctor paper work about it

regards!

glad I can help

michalst

Post by michalst » 31 Mar 2007, 16:26

Thanks!
The Goralenvolk where sent to Trawniki camp (as you wrote). If i'm not wrong the remaining volunteers where sent to bau battalions in the west (after the plan of raising the "Goralisher Waffen SS Legion" was abandon).

FRANCY RITTER

Re: Goralische Waffen-SS Legion

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 19 Jun 2008, 18:02

Hello to all !! :D

Three photos fron this interesting Link in Spanish language...Polnisches Schutzmannschaftsbataillon and Axis History Forum

Semenov

Re: Goralischer Waffen-SS Legion

Post by Semenov » 20 Jun 2008, 19:32

On two last foto - Baudienst.

RG

Re:

Post by RG » 23 Jun 2008, 11:58

patrynius wrote:
20.01.1945 Wac³aw Krzeptowski was hung by polish partisants - but we don't know how it happen and as the matter of fact we don't know any details - Gorale settle it by themself

regards
Well, quite possible the details could be drastic. In the article on http://serwisy.gazeta.pl/df/1,34471,885268.html is quoted a song in which Gorals, for whom it was a shame to be called "Germans", promised to hang Krzeptowski not exactly by his head...

In this article there is also written that no more than 20 reached Trawniki, from whom only 3 - 5 wore SS uniforms. There was a song among Gorals about them:

"Wielka armia księcia pana,
- The great army of Grand Duke [nicname of Krzeptowski]
Hen szeroko w świecie słynie,
- Is famous all over the World
Trzech złodziei i Suleja
- Three thefts and Suleja
Jeden osioł, cztery świnie"
- one donkey and four pigs.

And there is also written that maybe he save a few people, but quite possible that he is responsible for sending some people to Aushwitz.

goral-highlander

Post by goral-highlander » 10 Apr 2010, 18:46

RG wrote:
Well, quite possible the details could be drastic. In the article on http://serwisy.gazeta.pl/df/1,34471,885268.html is quoted a song in which Gorals, for whom it was a shame to be called "Germans", promised to hang Krzeptowski not exactly by his head...
I realize this is an old topic. However I would like to clear up the situation. I am a higherlander in Poland near the slovak border.

There is an old sang amongst highlanders: highlander first and nationality second. so yes in a sense being german, polish or slovak is shameful.

Second I have examined my family history and indeed have german heritage. Different kingdoms offered land to germans during medieval times to settle the land. I believe the Austro-Hungarian empire classified them as saxons. Their settlements were even spread out to romania as well.

The thing about highlanders is that we essentially are a mixing pot of different ethnic groups as well as our neighbors the lemkos.

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 10 Apr 2010, 20:35

Hi
Here a Link to Polnische Schutzmannschafts Btl. F/202

http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/threa ... adid=17658

cheers Jan

goral-highlander

Post by goral-highlander » 10 Apr 2010, 21:10

But the source claims it was for the ukrainian nationalistan legion Roland made up of OUN volunteers.

Anon Nymus

Post by Anon Nymus » 23 Jul 2014, 15:07

Very strange is Witalis Wieder - member of Goralenvolk member and as I said probably Abwehra agent - after 1944 he just dissapered.. Funy thing there is even no pictures of him ;)
His name is misspelled, it must be Vitalis Carl Wieder. And he went to Bavaria in 1945. He was not Polish, as it is said in Wikipedia, but of German origin, was a German officer during WWI and was forced after the war to decide whether he wants to be a German further on, which meant that he had to leave the country and his father's manor near Posen, or if he wanted to become Polish and stay. His brother left, he stayed and therefore became an officer in the Polish army, because this was his profession. And yes, he was agent in the German Abwehr. Maybe he was forced to do so, because his brother would have got trouble in Germany if he had refused. The German Abwehr knew that Vitalis' brother, also an officer in the German army, had a brother in Zakopane and they forced him to ask Vitalis Wieder if he would be an agent.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”