Indo - German collaboration in WW I and WW II

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
sandeepmukherjee196

Indo - German collaboration in WW I and WW II

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 26 Jan 2015, 10:30

Germany helped India in its armed struggle for independence, during both world wars.

During WW I, the Berlin based Indian Independence Committee ( Das Indische Unabhängigkeitskomitee) and the US based Gadar Party coordinated their actions with Kaiser's Germany. In September 1914, the Kaiser formally authorised German action against British rule in India. Chancellor, Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg was instructed and empowered accordingly.

Max (Freiherr) von Oppenheim, the famous Archaeologist and Historian coordinated a lot of these efforts with the Nachrichtenstelle für den Orient. However his main role remained limited to the middle eastern project among the Muslim constituency.

These efforts resulted in serious and major armed action in India and South East Asia (Singapore). The hands of chance disrupted the pan colonial uprising planned for 21 February '15. Smaller mutinies occurred at various British-India army cantonments and bases but they were suppressed.

The legendary Indian ( Bengali) revolutionary Rash Behari Bose was heading this coup d'etat. He subsequently, having escaped to and settled in Japan, also was a figurehead for the Indian National Army ( Azad Hind Fauz) during WW II.

150px-Ghadar_Flag.png
The Banner of the Gadar Party
150px-Ghadar_Flag.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 736 times

On 23rd January this year we celebrated the 118th Birthday of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in India ( born 1897). He had deep ties with Germany/Austria in the 30s and 40s. First when he was exiled by the British colonial rulers (with debilitating ailments contracted in prison) in 1933, followed by a trip in 1937 for purely medical reasons... and then again when he escaped from house-arrest in January 1941 (arrived in Berlin in April).

Netaji had a lukewarm relationship with the German regime under the Nazis. Unlike the Kaiser's regime, Hitler was an extreme Anglophile. He was more of a champion of British imperialism than many in Britain by that time.. He made statements, albeit in private, that embarrassed even the ( hypocritic ?) British politicians :D

So Netaji all through the 30s struggled to bring Hitler around to seeing the "common cause" between the two Nations... while receiving a cold shoulder from the latter all throughout..till the "common cause" came knocking on Hitler's door (and ear drums :P ) !!.

In 1941, before and after netaji's arrival at Germany, Romain Hayes ( Bose in Nazi Germany, Random House, 2011) provides the following checklist of German initiatives :

Feb 17, 1941 : Hitler orders OKH to plan an invasion of India via Afghanistan.

2 April, Netaji arrives at Berlin ( from Calcutta, via Kabul and Moscow).

7 April, GenObrst Halder makes estimates of force requirements ( no of divs et al ) for the India campaign.

9 April, Netaji completes his " Plan for Co-operation between the Axis Powers and India".

12 April, Plan submitted to the Foreign Office.

29 April, Ribbentrop receives Netaji at the Imperial Hotel, Vienna.

2 May, Hitler confides to Goebbels that he is considering establishing an Indian Provisional Govt in Berlin.

There is a lot more of course. I would post elaborately if this thread is found to be of interest by readers.
netajihitler.jpg
Netaji meets Hitler, May 1942
netajihitler.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 736 times

In short Netaji subsequently set up the Free India Legion (Legion Freies Indien) or Infantry Regiment 950, Indian (Infanterie-Regiment 950, Indisches) from amongst British Indian Army POWs taken in North Africa. This unit later came under the Waffen SS and came to be known as : Indische Freiwilligen Legion der Waffen-SS, from 8 August '44.
Indische_Legion.svg.png
Flag of the Legion ( Azad Hind)
Indische_Legion.svg.png (36.88 KiB) Viewed 736 times
The ORBAT of the legion was as follows :

I. Bataillon – infantry companies 1 to 4
II. Bataillon – infantry companies 5 to 8
III. Bataillon – infantry companies 9 to 12
13. Infanteriegeschütz Kompanie (infantry-gun company – armed with six 7.5 cm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18)
14. Panzerjäger Kompanie (anti-tank company – armed with six Panzerabwehrkanone)
15. Pionier Kompanie
Ehrenwachkompanie

It was equipped with 81 motor vehicles and 700 horses. It also included hospital, training, and maintenance staff.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Legion)

The legion sent para commandos into India and Afghanistan. Manned coastal defences in the Netherlands and France. Was engaged by the French partisans in late 44 and took casualties. Its importance was considerably diminished when Netaji went to South East Asia by German U Boat in 1943.

Netaji's primary armed endeavour was in South East Asia in 43-45 where he led the Indian National Army ( Azad Hind fauz) in combat in Burma and India ( Nagaland , Manipur, near the Burma border). Netaji's death / ultimate fate remains shrouded in mystery and vigorous controversy till this date.
220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J16796,_Rommel_mit_Soldaten_der_Legion_-Freies_Indien-.jpg
Rommel inspects the Legion on the Atlantic Wall.
220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J16796,_Rommel_mit_Soldaten_der_Legion_-Freies_Indien-.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Ciao
Sandeep
Last edited by sandeepmukherjee196 on 26 Jan 2015, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

AHK

Re: Indo - German collaboration in WW I and WW II

Post by AHK » 26 Jan 2015, 13:26

Was there a name for the Operation to invade India. How was it to be done?
AHK

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 26 Jan 2015, 17:56

AHK wrote:Was there a name for the Operation to invade India. How was it to be done?
AHK
Hi AHK....

Operation Bajadere was a company sized para - commando operation of the Indian Legion undertaken in January '42. The force was airdropped in Iran and then infiltrated into India. The operation was monitored by Oberleutnant Witzel of the Abwehr station in Kabul, Afghanistan. David LittleJohn's : Foreign Legions of the Third reich gives a lot of information on this.

However Hayes doesnt say anything specifically on this operation. From other sources one gathers that the commandos having successfully entered India through Balochistan, didnt do much and gradually got dispersed. There were two factors at play here.

There was of course the Werewolf effect! Without guidance and control, left to their own devices, motivation falters. They had after all "reached home" ..its so easy to lose oneself in the vastness of India..being an ethnic Indian.

Secondly there was the treachery of Bhagat Ram Talwar of the Kirti Kisan Party, a leftist outfit based in Northwest India. He had helped Netaji during his escape a year before. Netaji liked and trusted him. But after Barbarossa, he had turned a double agent! He was taking his instructions from Moscow. He was playing Netaji and the Azad Hind Movement, using their credulity and setting them up for the Brits. Later, during the Japanese - INA ( Azad Hind) offensive against Eastern / North Eastern India in 1944, Talwar sang like a canary to the Brits! This leakage fatally compromised the entire operation and the Brits knew exactly what, when , where .

The question of a full on German offensive on India's Western / North Western frontier with Netaji's help never took concrete shape. That could have only happened if either Rommel succeeded in crossing the Suez or the Wehrmacht succeeded in the Caucasus... swinging south-east thence.

Ciao
Sandeep

PS : This pic of Netaji with his companion, later wife, Emilie Schenkl Bose may be of interest to readers : ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilie_Schenkl)
netaji emilie.jpg
netaji emilie.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 704 times

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 27 Jan 2015, 03:17

Hello -

Regarding German assistance to Indian and Muslim nationalists during the First World War, have you seen this film?

www.HALFMOONFILES.de

George

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 27 Jan 2015, 04:56

Hi George....

Haven't seen it yet but are you recommending it? Is it good?

Ciao
Sandeep

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 27 Jan 2015, 07:59

Unfortunately, I missed an opportunity to see it in New York several years ago.

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 28 Jan 2015, 20:21

There is an old AHF thread ( http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45337) discussing this subject. Readers may refer to that too.

Ciao
Sandeep

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”