SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "Hegewald-Hochwald"

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Martinski

SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "Hegewald-Hochwald"

Post by Martinski » 21 Sep 2015, 11:04

In my research about the FHQu "Wehrwolf" and its cluster of HQ's I stumbled on a unit formed by Flemish SS-soldiers, named:

SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost

I checked various sources (Mehner, Tessin, Vinckx, Berkenkruis, Der Freiwillige, etc.) and came to this conclusion:

In June 1943, the Ersatz Btl. Flandern ( for the SS-Freiwilligen Legion "Flandern") at Graz was disbanded, the 'Stammpersonal' and a group of 265 (some sources mention 'about 300') Flemish recruits were sent to Shitomir to the "Hegewald" - barracks. A source mentions the FPN 48688 (2.1.1940-11.3.1943) 1.-2. Kompanie SS-Wach-Kompanie Hegewald.

One of the Flemish veterans mentions SS-Ostubaf. Kremer, Heinrich as the Commander of the barracks, whereas Kurt Mehner mentions SS-Ostubaf. Marks, Carl as the commander of SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost.

Other officers of SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost were: Commander of the detachment: Hstuf. Hamann and his Officers: Ustuf. Haselmeier and Ustuf. Bauwens (given the name, I guess Flemish).

The arrival in their "Hegewald" - barracks (former Soviet-Army Marshal ' Timotschenko' (sic)) was marked by a sad story that was very well known in the post-war memories of these vets as "De verbrande zakken" (the burned scrotums). At the arrival of the detachment, they had the pass the "Entlausung". This was staffed by local (Russian) HiWi's. One of the victims states that these HiWi's made use of "curpex" in a non-diluted form which was very acid and burning. So, they treated the first batch with the non-diluted or pure "curpex"; after some minutes all 12 men were crying and shouting from intense pain and showed burn wounds in the region of their genitalia.

This batch was brought to the 'Krankenrevier' and treated by SS-Sturmbannführer Dr. Sack. Which created some more laughs amongst the other recruits as the German name 'Sack' also means 'scrotum' in slang.

From the 12 victims, 9 regained health ('kriegsverwendungsfähig') and returned to the unit. Three were too badly burned and stayed in "Hegewald". At the attacks of the Soviet Army towards Shitomir, these Flemish SS-men joined the "Bataljon Ost" (a mixed ad hoc unit, consisted of Volksdeutsche and a complete platoon of Polish-French recruits). Another source mentions this "Bataljon Ost" as: "SS-Gren. Ausb.Btl. 31".

These Polish recruits were said to come out of the North of France (Lens). Together with the 2.SS-Div. "Das Reich" they defended the positions around Shitomir end 1943. One Flemish SS-mann (René Van den Bulck), one of these former "curpex"-victims is reported to join the 1.SS-Div. "LAH" afterwards.

The bulk of the Flemish recruits (SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD-HOCHWALD") returned on 8. July 1943 by train. They regained the Debica - camp on 11. July 1943. They were integrated in the newly formed SS-Freiwilligen Sturmbrigade "Langemarck".

I found some pictures form this unit; most by vets who served in the SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD-HOCHWALD". Unfortunately, they all show the men without background clues. As I do study the "Feldkommandostelle RF-SS 'Hegewald'", I am looking for more information and other pictures of its 1942 - 1943 situation.

Who can expand / help on this?

Regards - Martin
FHQu "Wehrwolf"

PS: source for the pictures is Jan Vinckx "Vlaanderen in Uniform" Band 6 - pages 305 - 310
Attachments
Pag 307 - Hegewald - Flor Molenaers - zomer 1943 - s.jpg
One of the "Curpex" - victims
Pag 308 - Hegewald zomer 1943 - s.jpg
SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD" - river Huyva
Berkenkruis - XXXXII - 10 - Pag 3 - Shitomir 1943 - s.jpg
SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD"

Wim

Re: SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD-HOCHWALD"

Post by Wim » 21 Sep 2015, 13:05

I bought recently a couple of the rare old Berkenkruis magazines from 1970, 1971 and a think a read an article about it i will search it en publisch it.

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Martinski

Re: SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "HEGEWALD-HOCHWALD"

Post by Martinski » 21 Sep 2015, 13:33

Hey Wim! Thanks but no need. I own all Berkenkruis and went through the complete collection. My thread already contains all I found about this unit. So no need to publish. There was a three-page story about the "Verbrande Zakken" in one of the seventies-editions. It is in my analysis!

Kind Flemish regards - Martin

-Michael

Re: SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon Ost - "Hegewald-Hochwald"

Post by -Michael » 06 Oct 2015, 16:39

Hallo Martin,
From 31.5.1943 the Ers.Kp./Freiw.-Legion “Flandern” was moved from the SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 11 in Graz to the SS-Gren.Ers.Btl. “Ost” in Breslau and the SS-Gren.Ausb.Btl. “Ost” in Shitomir to form the Ers.u.Ausb.Kp./SS-Freiw.-Sturmbrigade “Langemarck”.
The Ers.u.Ausb.Kp./SS-Freiw.-Sturmbrigade “Langemarck” was later moved to the SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 5 in Ellwangen.

The SS-Gren.Ausb.Btl. “Ost” is also mentioned in the biography of Martin Soors.

SS-Untersturmführer d. Res. Theo Bauwens (1923) was a disabled volunteer, if I’m not mistaken he lost one of his arms. He finished a course for disabled Führerbewerber on the SS-Junkerschule Tölz on 24.11.1943 and was promoted the SS-Untersturmführer d. Res. from 30.1.1944. I don’t know when he was send to the SS-Gren.Ausb.Btl. “Ost”.

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 07 Oct 2015, 09:58

-Michael!!!!

Thank you so much! Martin Soors book is +10 years in my library but I didn't remember me that passage in Shitomir. On pages 40 - 51 Martin Soors describes the hard times in "HEGEWALD" - Shitomir during his initial SS-Gren training.

BUT... he gives also on page 49 a VERY IMPORTANT information: during his stay (Summer 1943), the SS-Heldenfriedhof "Hegewald" was inundated and completely submerged by water. The 7.Kp was ordered to restore the cemetary by building dams around it and to dig NEW graves ! He mentions here also the new grave of SS-Ogruf. Theodor Eicke (misspelled as "Eiche" by Soors)...

This now explains a LOT... this phrase sheds a light on the post-war problems with the exact location of the grave of SS-Ogruf. Theodor Eicke! His name is NOT mentioned on the modern headstones at the entrance of the cemetary. But this is due to the political decision between Germany and Ukraine as Eickes name is linked to the Totenkopf and KZ - system.

Many, many thanks for this hint to Martin Soors! You made my day!

Met Vlaamse Groet - Martin

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 21 Oct 2019, 12:17

from SSO H.Kremer
Attachments
0805.jpg
212a
0802.jpg
212a
0747.jpg
212a
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”