Greek collaborationist unit in Rhodes

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
bertamingo

Greek collaborationist unit in Rhodes

Post by bertamingo » 26 Sep 2016, 07:22

Hello all, I've found a reference on Wikipedia about a unit of 300 Greeks in German uniform was deployed to Rhodes and caused strong protests from Italian garrison there. Could anyone tell me which unit was this? The only Greek wearing German uniform to my knowledge was the Greek volunteer gendermerie, which was several battalions strong. Was this Rhodes unit a part of the gendermerie? Thanks a lot!!!

steverodgers801

Re: Greek collaborationist unit in Rhodes

Post by steverodgers801 » 27 Sep 2016, 00:33

Many Greeks served to help fight communists. There was a collaborator, I cant think of the name who was executed after the war, who thought he was serving Greece by helping the Nazi's

bertamingo

Re: Greek collaborationist unit in Rhodes

Post by bertamingo » 28 Sep 2016, 04:51

Thanks for reply! I think most of Greeks helping with fighting communists were involved in the security battalions, police, self-defense formations and other auxiliaries and irregulars, relatively few were wearing German uniforms. After excluding those serving on an individual basis, even fewer were left, which included the 300-strong unknown unit in Rhodes.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”