Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Marcus

Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by Marcus » 10 Dec 2006, 12:17

The idea of this sticky is to collect recommendations on good books dealing with the foreign volunteers & collaboration.

Please post the title, author and a short (or long) explanation as to why you feel that particular title deserves to be included.

/Marcus

If you buy through the below links you not only get the books you want but you also support the forum while shopping!
* AHF Bookstore
* Amazon.com (UK, Germany)
Last edited by Marcus on 03 Nov 2007, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 27 Dec 2006, 19:34

Hey Marcus,

I think this is a pretty good idea and I support it for sure.
I don't have any books on foreign volunteers myself but I've some titles written down about books that deal with foreign SS-officers and I'm hoping to read them some day. But it's indeed difficult to separate the good books from the less good books if you don't know anything about it. I've seen some titles on eBay but because I didn't knew them and because the prices were also pretty high I didn't order them.

So hopefully you'll get some good feedback to this thread/sticky. It will help those who wanna buy books but don't know anything about it.

Greetings,
Mike

Wim

Post by Wim » 03 Jul 2007, 13:54

About the Flemisch volunteers their are a couple af books who are very interesting but they are in dutch.

Vlamingen in Uniform Deel 1 - 8
Flemings in uniform part 1 - 8

This is about every formation that excist in Flanders who carried an Uniform.

-> part 8 is just a photobook of Flemisch volunteers (helas very rare and expensive and i don't have it :( )

Here is an index of the books

Deel 1.
1. NSKK
2. ZKK
3. VAVV
4. Boerenwacht
5. Germanische Landdienst
6. Scholen AHS, NPEA, Napola
Langemarck Studium
Vlaamse School
Junkerswerke

Deel 2.
1. Vlaamse Wacht
2. Waffen-SS Div "Langemarck"
3. OT
4. MKB
6. Verdinaso
7. Rex Vlaanderen

Deel 3.
1. Fabriekswacht
2. Vlaamse Wachtbrigade
3. Flämische Flakbrigade
4. Vlaamse Jongerenkorps
5. AVNJ
6. NSJV
7. Weersportkampen
8. Dietse Marine Jeugd
9. Jongvliegerkorps
10. Dietse Studentenaktie
11. VNV Studentenfront
12. VIVO
13. VJHC
14. DMS
15. KLV
16. VJ
17. HJV

Deel 4.
1. VNV
2. VNVV
3. DM-ZB
4. Hulpbigade
5. Dietse Militie Politie
6. Kriegsmarine
7. Lufwaffe
8. Heer
9. Hilfsgendarmerie
10. Zivilfahndungsdienst der Feldgendarmerie
11. POA
12. Germaanse SS
13. Veiligheidskorps DeVlag
14. SS Wacht St.-Truiden
15. SD Wachgruppe/ Wachtkorps SD
16. Wachtgruppe Nordland/ Nordland Wacht
17. Erlawacht
18. Marineuberwachungsstelle Cockerill/ werkschutz Cockerill
19. Reitzwerkschütze
20. SS Wachtbataillion Vlaanderen
21. De Windekring
22. Algemene Rijkspolizei
23. Rijkswacht
24. Territoriale Burgerwacht
25. Belgisch Rode Kruis

Deel 5.
1. Het begrip Waffen-SS
2. Motivatie
3. Uniform
4. Algemeenheden
5. Aantalsterkte der Waffen-SS
6. Werving
7. Keuringen
8. Duitse visie
9. Vlamingen in WH dienst
10. opleiding
11. Ordes en eretekens
12. VOJO
13. Voorzorgscomité
14. Kriegsfürsorge der Waffen-SS

Deel 6.
1. Germanische Leitstelle (Kammerhofer-Jungclaus)
2. Ersatzkommando Flandern
3. SS-Wachtbattallion
4. Lebensborn
5. SS-Huwelijk
6. SS-Junkerschulen
7. Unterführerschulen
8. Kriegsberichter
9. SS Helferinnen
10. SS-Rötgensturmbann
11. SD-Veiligheidsdienst
12. SS-Opleidingskamp Sennheim
13. SS-Opleidingskamp Schoten
14. SS-Troepenoefenplaats Heidelager Debica
15. SS-Ersatz Batallion Graz
16. SS-Ersatz Batallione in Breslau
17. SS-Gren. Ausb. Btl. "Ost" Shitomir
18. Toepenoefenkamp Milowitz
19. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Ausbildungs- und Ersatzbattalion 5 Ellwangen-Jagst
20. 38. SS-Panzer Grenadier Division "Nibelungen"
21. SS-Jagdverbände
22. Freiwilligen-Standarte "Nordwest"
23. 5. SS-Panzer Division "Wiking"
24. 2. SS-Panzer-division "Das Reich"
25. Bijlagen

Deel 7.
1. Vlaams Legioen
2. 6. SS-Freiw. Sturmbrigade "Langemarck"
3. 27. SS-Freiw. Gren. Div. "Langemarck"
4. SS Pz. Jägerabteilung 27 "Langemarck"
5. I.G. Infanteriegeschütze
6. PAK
7. SS- Sturmgeschütze "Langemarck"
8. SS-Pz. Begleitzug 27 "Langemarck"
9. SS-Jugend Batallion 27 "Langemarck"
10. SS-Kradschützenzug "Langemarck"
11. SS-Pioniere "Langemarck"
12. SS-Pionier Bataljon 27 "Langemarck"
13. SS-Artillerieregiment 27 "langemarck"
14. SS-Nachrichten
15. SS-Flakabteilug "Langemarck"
16. Granatwerfer
17. I. SS Polizei-Batallion "Flandern"
18. Bijlagen

Deel 8. 'In beeld'

Also in Dutch 'Vlamingen aan het Oostfront Deel 1 - 2'
Flemings on the Eastern Front 1-2

This is about a very good and detaild journey of the Flemish Legion, 6 ss Sturmbrigade, 27 ss Freiwill gren Div,
The road they made from Wochow, Leningrad, Shitomir, Narwa, Oder.

There is one book in English that is about our one and only Knight Cross holder Remy Schrijnen
'The last Knight of Flanders'
Last edited by Wim on 03 Jul 2007, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.

Wim

Post by Wim » 03 Jul 2007, 14:01

About the Dutch volunteers (in Dutch) are there also a interesting books.

'Nederlandse vrijwilligers in Europese krijgsdienst Deel 1-4'

Dutch volunteers in Europian service part 1-4

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 03 Jul 2007, 14:58

Hey Wim,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. But through your countryman Stormman I already knew these books were very interesting so I've written them down already.
And I know about a bookstore in Erpe-Mere which is selling these kind of books so one day I'll visit that bookstore for sure.

Greetings,
Mike

Ivan_S

Post by Ivan_S » 14 Jul 2007, 20:06

FOR EUROPE: The French Volunteers of the Waffen-SS by Robert Forbes. An outstanding work 'cause it is honest, accurate, precise, highly documented and correct many mistakes made by previous authors...this is not an apologetical work but rather a try to depict why (anticommunism and a greater europe for example) so many french wore the german (heer, waffen ss or nskk) uniform. Really outstanding and captivating. For sure, you won't regret your money!

FOR REX AND FOR BELGIUM: Le'on Degrelle and Walloon Political and Military Collaboration 1940-45 by Eddy de Bruyne. This is the most objective and complete book written about Degrelle and the wallon political & military collaboration in the second world war. While the military achievements of the belgian are not underestimated (quite the contrary), they aren't exagerated. Many accounts from vets are giving a new perspective of the walloons and its main leader Degrelle. Degrelle wasn't the only collaborator and he wasn't the one who originated the idea of a belgian military collaboration with the germans. But as the author Eddy de Bruyne says, Degrelle was a brilliant politician who knew how to get most of the attention of the germans (much to flemish leaders chagrin!).

WEISWEILER

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaborat

Post by WEISWEILER » 11 Sep 2007, 19:41

Marcus Wendel wrote:The idea of this sticky is to collect recommandations on good books dealing with the foreign volunteers & collaboration.

Please post the title, author and a short (or long) explenation as to why you feel that particular title deserves to be included.

/Marcus
Certainly these books have strong historical value but on the subject of Belgian collaboration the television documentary directed and presented by Maurice Dewilde (or De Wilde) on the Belgian Public network BRT in the 1980's contains extensive (!) information and footage. I think its general title was 'De nieuwe orde' and as recall it counts many episodes, including collaborator and resistance members interviews and lots of archive material... I'm not sure if the series are av. on DVD or other media.

/W

Gertjan

Post by Gertjan » 22 Sep 2007, 10:57

Hi all,

Following books are about Dutch volunteers:

KRIEGSBERICHTER. Nederlandse SS-oorlogsverslaggevers 1941-1945; Gerard Groeneveld; VanTilt 2004; ISBN 9789077503096, in Dutch, CD with audiofragments
This book describes the origins, organisation, training and activities of Dutch PK-männer with "Wiking" and the "Vrijwilligenlegioen Nederland"and it's subsequent units.

MUSSERTMAN AAN HET OOSTFRONT. Oorlogsdagboek 1941-1942; Paul Metz; VanTilt 2005; ISBN 9789077503250, in Dutch
This is the diary of Paul Metz, dealing from the moment he left the Netherlands in 1941 to fight with the Vrijwilligerslegioen Nederland until he got mortally wounded at the Leningrad front in 1942. A very personal view of an common soldier.

OOK GIJ BEHOORT BIJ ONS! Nederlanders bij het NSKK; Alex Dekker; Private publication 2006; ISBN 9789081136013, in Dutch
First edition of a unique book about the Dutch within the NSKK, also describing origins, organisation of the NSKK. Second (illustrated) edition is pending, for more information see http://www.alexdekker.nl

FROM LENINGRAD TO BERLIN. Dutch volunteers in the service of the German Waffen-SS 1941-1945; Perry Pierik; Aspekt 200;1 ISBN 9789059110045, English edition
Dealing with the "vrijwilligerslegioen Nederland" and subsequent units including 23. Frw. SS-Pz.Gren. Div. "Nederland". Leningrad front, Narva, Sinimaëd, Kurland, Pommern, Oder and Berlin were all places where elements of these units have fought with perseverance.

IM FEUER DER OSTFRONT Ein Niederländische freiwilliger an deutscher seite im europäischen schicksalskampf; Hendrik. C. Verton; Nation Europa 2003; ISBN 3920677617, German edition
Story of Hendrik C. Verton, from his youth until the early post-war years, with a focus on the final stage in the battle of Breslau (now Wrocklaw in Poland)

OOSTBOEREN, ZEE-GERMANEN EN TURFSTEKERS. Kolonisatie tijdens de tweede wereldoorlog; David Barnouw; Bert Bakker 2004; ISBN 9789035127357, in Dutch
This book deals with the NOC (Nederlandsche OostCompagnie) and other Dutch organisations in search of agriculture and industrial enterprises in the Ostgebieten, Fishing on Peipus lake, farming in the Ukraïne are just two samples of the large number of (rather unsuccesful) attempts to cash in on the conquered territories in the east.

DE SS'ERS; Armando en Sleutelaar; De Bezige Bij 2001; ISBN9789023400622, in Dutch.
First printed in 1967, these interviews with 8 former members of the Waffen-SS, brought some upheaval in the Netherlands. Honest, sincere and straightforward they give their view on their time in the Waffen-SS.

VOOR FÜRHER, VOLK EN VADERLAND. De SS in Nederland; Sytze van der Zee; Sijthoff 1985: ISBN 9021825236, in Dutch (earlier editions known as "25.000 landverraders" from 1967)
Ideology, plans and organisation of the (Germanic) SS in the Netherlands.

So far a small contribution on Dutch volunteers

Regards,

Gertjan

RHWinter

Foreign armies and volunteers at the Wehrmacht's side

Post by RHWinter » 17 Dec 2007, 10:02

Highly recommended: A newly published book by Rolf Dieter Mueller, one of the most reputable german military-historians. As far as I can see, the first scholarly serious book on that interesting and long neglected topic in german language:

"An der Seite der Wehrmacht - Hitlers ausländische Helfer beim »Kreuzzug gegen den Bolschewismus« 1941–1945"
(At the Wehrmacht's Side - Hitler's Foreign Helper with the 'Crusade Against Bolshevism' 1941-1945")
280 Pages, 50 Pictures, ISBN: 978-3-86153-448-8

Here's the link to the publisher's internet-page with further links to the book's content:
http://www.linksverlag.de/cgi-bin/WebOb ... lTiny.11.0

And here's what the publisher says about the book:
"At the beginning of the war against the Soviet Union, the Wehrmacht could use approximately 600,000 men allied troops, later numerous foreign volunteers and "Hilfswillige" („HiWis“) were added. Finally, on the peak of the Second World War, each third uniform carrier on German side was a foreigner at the eastern front. Hitler’s slogan of "fight against the bolshevism" found echo all over Europe - with convinced fascists as well as with members of eastern european people, which strove for recovery of their independence of the USSR. Many of them not only fought at the front, but could also be involved in the crimes of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS. Taunted by Hitler because of alleged failure, sentenced and forgotten by their homelands because of betrayal and collaboration, during the cold war times their service was usually ignored or concealed by the historians." (Translated with the help of "Babelfish")

This book is very well reviewed in all german media and recommended by me too!
(I am not associated with the author or the publishing company.)

Semenov

re

Post by Semenov » 08 Feb 2008, 19:24

I recomended
D. Littlejohn Foreign Legions.
H.W. Neulen An deutscher seite.

Peeter

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by Peeter » 13 Jun 2008, 23:15

There is published a very good book "Estonian Legion in Words and Pictures" by Grenaner publishing. Text is both in Estonian and English, tons of good photos from the beginning to the end. Also a CD with Estonian volunteers songs is included. Warmly recommended.
http://www.phototour.ee/

Matt Horn

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by Matt Horn » 24 Feb 2009, 01:36

I'd add Renegades by Adrian Weale about the British volunteers with a mention about the Indian legion and some other English speaking nationalities such as the Irish and Canadians.

Waffen211

Re:

Post by Waffen211 » 30 Sep 2009, 08:57

Wim wrote:About the Dutch volunteers (in Dutch) are there also a interesting books.

'Nederlandse vrijwilligers in Europese krijgsdienst Deel 1-4'

Dutch volunteers in Europian service part 1-4
About Nederland division, there is also the new book of Massimiliano Afiero, in italian language, but with addendum in english, printed in september 2009: http://www.maxafiero.it
Attachments
libro_Nederland_Afiero.jpg
libro_Nederland_Afiero.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 31505 times

Waffen211

Italian in the Waffen SS

Post by Waffen211 » 30 Nov 2009, 13:53

A new work of Massimiliano Afiero, About Italian volunteers in the Waffen SS, with many article written by veterans today alive. For major info: http://www.maxafiero.it.
Attachments
Copertina.jpg
Copertina.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 31355 times

Waffen211

Den Norske Legion

Post by Waffen211 » 08 Jan 2011, 10:20

A new work about Norwegian Volunteer Legion, only in italian language, with many photos unpublished.

68 pages, colour cover. For major info: http://www.maxafiero.it
Attachments
cop_dnl.jpg
cop_dnl.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 30528 times

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”