Spaniards in Waffen-SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Eckart

Post by Eckart » 15 Jan 2005, 02:41

Really important for me this info, thank you very much Ostuf Charlemagne.

Salud!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 15 Jan 2005, 23:03

It should be noted that "Ostuf Charlemagne" is the author of the book he recommends.

/Marcus

Panzer37

Post by Panzer37 » 16 Jan 2005, 05:07

This is very interesting. Can I ask something maybe very silly.. oh, rather silly... does someone know about a Spaniard ever serving in the Panzers?? They were all considered Grenadiers??

Thanks

Hector

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 18 Jan 2005, 00:01

"It should be noted that "Ostuf Charlemagne" is the author of the book he recommends.

/Marcus"

You damn right ! And it should be noted that this is the most complete (untill today ) book about this topic in english lenguage .

Why ? Because unlike others authors i knew/know personnally many SS spanish vets (for instance Miguel Ezquerra and Manuel Valadés).

Btw the this book have made more noise in Spain than anywhere else,naturally ,being praised in "Blaue Division" ,the internal newsletter of the association of veterans of the Division Azul of Alicante city ("Hermandad divisionaria de Alicante").

So much that still alive SS spaniards contacted me and gave me more infos ,and private pictures and documents from them ,so I am able by now to :

- do a spanish and a french version ,twice the size of the original.

- reforce the original True Believers with an augmented ,twice the size, infos and privates SS pictures of those volunteers .

About SS Panzers : at last one : Federico Lux ,volksdeutsche born in Barcelona from germano-spanish marriage ,enlisted as volksdeutsche the SS Nordland division ,killed in action at Narwa battle .

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 18 Jan 2005, 00:17

Y para el amigo mexicano :

It was at last two mexicans serving within the Waffen-SS .

Along with some argentines ones ,4 or 5 brasilians , one centralamerican (maybe guatemalan ,maybe honduran ....name was R.Monzon Toledo ,served as SS PK and journalist of phalangist newspaper Enlace (printed in Germany by the Ibero-American Institute of General Faupel ,former profesor in War College of peruvian army and former general-inspector of Argentine Army ,and also former german embassador in Franco's Spain ,1937)
and at last a famous german chilean Volksdeutsche : SS Brigadeführer Hansen ,the "father" of the SS Artillery ,born in Santiago de Chile and chilean citizen .

Also many cubans one (around 20 or 30) ,belonging to the cuban chapter of the spanish Phalange (Cuba had only 40 years since independance from Spain) who enlisted the Division Azul.

So even "los españoles de las Americas" - as would have said Lluys de Santamarina , answered ¡PRESENTE ! to the call of the anticommunist cruzade .

For the ones who would like to know ,I am working by now on a book about latinamerican volunteers in Axis forces . For instances it shows up lots of italo-argetines who traveled to italy to enlist the Blackshirts ,like Armando Tela , argentine businessman who joined an MVSN Blackshirts Assault Legion during the Albanian War ,was desmobilized as NCO ,stayed in Italy where he formed another successful private enterprise ,then let his factory and good salary to enlist the Black Brigades as sergeant-major ,wounded in partisan ambush and murdered by partisans while in convalescence at home .

Those men where real idealists !

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 18 Jan 2005, 00:28

weird... and good news. I never heard before of a mexicans serving in the WSS..
thanks for the info Ostuf... If more comes to light, feel free to PM-me!

best regards

Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer

Panzer37

Post by Panzer37 » 19 Jan 2005, 05:13

Thanks a lot

That comes as news to me as well. I never imagined that. Is there any more information on Lux in your book Ostuf? I surely love to know of Spanish talking people in the panzers and Pz Grennnys.

I also want to know if you learn more about my paisanos, please PM me too, hehe

Regards

Hector

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 10 Oct 2005, 16:13

Abour this issue I have found some articles in the net:

http://www.highbeam.com/library/docfree ... Result&ao=

and another one -in French- here:

http://www.lesvolontaires.net/unites.html

Nak250

Post by Nak250 » 11 Oct 2005, 21:00

In April 1945, colonel Miguel Ezquerra led the three companies of the Waffen SS "Unit Ezquerra", whose mainly composition was:

• 100 Spaniards who, like the same Ezquerra (captain in the Blue Div.), had served in the Blue Division, but remained in the German service.

• 150 recruited Spaniards who had crossed secretly the border between France and Spain clossed by General Francisco Franco.

• A non-exact number of Survivors of other Belgian (28th SS Wallonien) and French SS-Waffen divisions.

Eckart, I you want more data, I have a lot of information about Spaniards in SS-Waffen in Spanish. What you need about compatriots in this German elite corps, I am ready to help you when you need it.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 23 Dec 2005, 01:19

About the Blue Division, it was a political tool, as it allowed Franco to "buy-off" his German ally...

Regards
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 26 Dec 2005, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Cast Iron

Post by Cast Iron » 24 Dec 2005, 06:07

I read In Good Faith: 4-SS Polizei Division it did not give a name but it said there was one Mexican national in the division.

Rob - wssob2

Ezquerra – is he a fraud?

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 02 Sep 2006, 04:48

Ezquerra - supposed commander of the Spanish SS detachment that fought in Berlin in May 1945 - – is he a fraud?

- all his promotions from lieutenant to lieutenant colonel were oral (and possibly from Heer officers) between 1944 when he was stationed at Stablack and May 1945 Berlin
- He claimed to have served in Brandenburgers, fighting aginst the Maquis in Paris and as part of Skorzeny’s commandos in Battle of Bulge,
- Claimed personal contact with Hitler, who orally awarded him the Knights Cross
- Claimed to have seen Himmler, Goebbels, and Berger, Martin Bormann and Axmann in the last days of the war

But I cannot find any other references to back his claims, particuarly about his Ardennes offensive service and his meeting all the Nazi bigwigs during the Battle of Berlin. What do other forum members think?

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 04 Sep 2006, 12:34

Are there any records kept in German Archives regarding Ezquerra service in German units?

Tom

Breogan

Post by Breogan » 04 Sep 2006, 23:12

My personal opinion is that Ezquerra was fighting in the final of the war in Berlin but probably he did not see people like A. Hitler, Goebbels,...(one man who knew Ezquerra said me this also but it was his personal opinion too).

One thing is true, he had to live in Lisbon after the war where he published first edition of his book.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 16 Sep 2006, 18:07

In Spain, many amateur historians consider him a liar. His books is not quite reliable, methinks.

And his claims... well...

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”