Estn. SS-Freiw-Pz.Gren.Btl. "Narwa"

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Marcus

Re: Est. SS-Freiw-PzGrenBat "Narwa"

Post by Marcus » 07 Aug 2010, 14:15

Thanks for sharing those photos Konstantin.

/Marcus

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 08 Aug 2010, 07:19

herring wrote:Hello Konstantin,

Why do you think, that there was located Panzernest?

regards
herring
Dear herring, this is obviously inaccurate my translation. I'm not saying that it is at this place was set Panzernest, and point out a place as one of the possible. Since I do not have the German general staff, the documents have to make assumptions based on the memoirs of Soviet veterans, who crossed the Donets is in these places (Kamenka - Senichino, the valley along a small river Suhaya Kamenka) in the defensive zone 46. Infantry Division. I would be grateful to everyone who has access to staff documents the German 46. Infantry Division, for any information about installation locations Panzernest.
Yours. Konstantin.
Marcus Wendel wrote:Thanks for sharing those photos Konstantin.

/Marcus
Thanks

Griffin brigade

Post by Griffin brigade » 08 Aug 2010, 13:29

I'm sure more of our Estonian members will be very interested in these photos and maps , please keep posting the photos of your trips !!

herring

Post by herring » 15 Aug 2010, 17:08

Hello Konstantin,

I don't have such a documents. I also think, that plans with location of exact bunkers may be very difficult to find. As I can see, exact location of bunkers was established on very low grade of organisation. Probably a good place to look for documents would be archives in Kiev or in Moscow.

I think that your method of research may be very good.
I see, that you don't like people with metal detector (they often destroy a lot), but this method may be also good for looking for Panzernest. Even if it was removed e.g 30 or 40 years after the war, a lot of rust might stay in the ground, showing it's location on the metal detector. Also, some pieces from interior may be lying around.

regards
herring

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 16 Aug 2010, 15:43

herring wrote:Hello Konstantin,

I don't have such a documents. I also think, that plans with location of exact bunkers may be very difficult to find. As I can see, exact location of bunkers was established on very low grade of organisation. Probably a good place to look for documents would be archives in Kiev or in Moscow.

I think that your method of research may be very good.
I see, that you don't like people with metal detector (they often destroy a lot), but this method may be also good for looking for Panzernest. Even if it was removed e.g 30 or 40 years after the war, a lot of rust might stay in the ground, showing it's location on the metal detector. Also, some pieces from interior may be lying around.

regards
herring
Dear herring, I'm afraid as we would with your forum moderator did not comment. Still, this topic is discussed Battalion "Narva", not 46. Infantry Division. It seems to me that documents the location Panzernest should still be sought not in Moscow or Kiev, and in the city Freiburg (ВAMA). And I'm hoping that (the theme of Panzernest in the "fortification and artillery" of the forum) colleagues, who have access to military archives ВAMA can provide assistance in this matter. But, unfortunately, I was wrong - no one helped and no one and will not help ...Turns out I'm in my 40 years, yet somewhat naive and did not take into account the difference in the mentality of the people of Ukraine and Europe. When I was searching for relatives of the unknown soldier, awarded the medal "For Valour", helped me a lot of people that I do not know. Employees of the archives and just concerned people - regardless of their personal time and completely disinterested. And no one is not surprising - it is okay. We have since adopted - to help colleagues. I'm doing too well - ready to spend their own time and money (and living standards in Ukraine is much lower than even in Poland) to go over 100 miles and collect material for a book of Swedish colleagues. This is not counting on anything other than gratitude. Again, we both live, for us it is normal. I apologize if someone accidentally offended ...
Yours.
Кonstantin Abramenko.

Friedrich Werner

Post by Friedrich Werner » 16 Aug 2010, 17:34

Firstly I want to thank you, as Pual mentioned earlier, for showing us images of a battlefield many of us can only read about (for now at least!) I do want to mention that my friend has just written a book on the battle of Narva and that one of its major focuses is what you have just done! He found pictures of the battlefield from wwii and returned last year to take an "after" shot. My copy is in the mail and I look forward to reading it- so your pictures, konstantin, was a great pre-game show for me!

http://www.amazon.com/BATTLE-NARVA-1944 ... 3905944014

thanks again, and please let us know how that search for the panzernest/ bunkers go.

vr,
Werner

Griffin brigade

Post by Griffin brigade » 18 Aug 2010, 20:50

Friedrich,

This thread is not about the Battle of Narva in 1944 , rather the Battles of the Wiking Divison in the Ukraine where one of the units was the Est SS Freiw Panzer Grenadier Battailon " Narva " made up of Estonian volunteers.

regards

Paul

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 18 Aug 2010, 21:44

Hi All -

I have seen the identity documents of an Estonian volunteer who was killed in action during the Battle of Narva. This was Erich Kruustok. He was assigned to 3rd Company, Battalion Narva and died at Andrejewka in 1943.

George

Sotka

Post by Sotka » 29 Aug 2010, 22:00

Thank you, Konstantin, for sharing these interesting photos!

Regards,

Tuomo

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 30 Aug 2010, 07:55

George Lepre wrote:Hi All -

I have seen the identity documents of an Estonian volunteer who was killed in action during the Battle of Narva. This was Erich Kruustok. He was assigned to 3rd Company, Battalion Narva and died at Andrejewka in 1943.

George
Dear George, whether it is possible to publish this document here? Maybe it will be interesting to the Estonian colleagues, perhaps relatives of the soldier and now live in Estonia.
Sotka wrote:Thank you, Konstantin, for sharing these interesting photos!

Regards,

Tuomo
Very grateful to all colleagues for the words of gratitude. Do not expect that my modest photos cause such interest. Very flattered. In October, when the leaves fall from the trees, when all will be better viewed, I plan to repeat the photographing area under Andreevka. And these pictures must publish here.

Regards.
Кonstantin.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 30 Aug 2010, 08:18

Hi Konstantin -

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I saw the documents many years ago and I do not know who presently owns them. Kruustok was an interesting fellow, however; he belonged to the Estonian Omakaitse, or "forest brothers" in 1941.

Best regards,

George

Peeter

Post by Peeter » 20 Aug 2011, 21:38

Some more information about "Narwa" in Izjum battle, now in English.
http://www.eestileegion.com/?home/eston ... alion.html

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 21 Aug 2011, 00:13

thanks for posting the link, "heroic" is the least that can be said... a 1:120 kill ratio!!
Xavier
Der autodidakt

Griffin brigade

Post by Griffin brigade » 22 Aug 2011, 22:34

Peeter thanks for posting the link , very interesting , hopefully Konstantin can post mor ephotos of his visits to the Battlefields ??

Griffin brigade

Post by Griffin brigade » 22 Aug 2011, 22:40

Friedrich Werner wrote:Firstly I want to thank you, as Pual mentioned earlier, for showing us images of a battlefield many of us can only read about (for now at least!) I do want to mention that my friend has just written a book on the battle of Narva and that one of its major focuses is what you have just done! He found pictures of the battlefield from wwii and returned last year to take an "after" shot. My copy is in the mail and I look forward to reading it- so your pictures, konstantin, was a great pre-game show for me!

http://www.amazon.com/BATTLE-NARVA-1944 ... 3905944014

thanks again, and please let us know how that search for the panzernest/ bunkers go.

vr,
Werner
Just to add that the author of the recommended book has never visited the Narva Battlefields as stated !!

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”