SS Picture?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
PF

SS Picture?

Post by PF » 04 Jun 2010, 19:55

Inselaffe

Re: SS Picture?

Post by Inselaffe » 05 Jun 2010, 00:20

They're Dutch definitely, I think from Freiwilligen Legion Niederlande but not 100%.

Cheers.
"It was like Hungary being between Germany and the Soviet Union. What sort of choice was that? Which language would you like your firing squad to speak?" Tibor Fischer 'Under the Frog'.

rednas

Post by rednas » 05 Jun 2010, 01:03

Inselaffe wrote:They're Dutch definitely, I think from Freiwilligen Legion Niederlande but not 100%.

Cheers.
No, these uniforms are those of the Germaansche SS, the Dutch version of the political Allgemeine SS. Maybe this photo was made during the meeting that can be found in the following video. These men were going to the eastern front (Dutch legion or a other SS unit). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuedrn0YiQ

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 05 Jun 2010, 01:29

rednas wrote:No, these uniforms are those of the Germaansche SS, the Dutch version of the political Allgemeine SS. Maybe this photo was made during the meeting that can be found in the following video. These men were going to the eastern front (Dutch legion or a other SS unit).
Ah, my mistake. I've seen the video before and this looked like a photo from the same event, as they are off to the Eastern Front I'd assumed they were part of the FL Niederlande and the Allgemeine SS uniforms were part of the 'recycling' of the pre-war A-SS uniforms which many 'foreigners' seem to have got bits of. In what role were Germaansche SS sent to the Eastern Front?

Cheers.
"It was like Hungary being between Germany and the Soviet Union. What sort of choice was that? Which language would you like your firing squad to speak?" Tibor Fischer 'Under the Frog'.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”