Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjäger???

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Serbian heavy cavalry

Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjäger???

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 22 Sep 2010, 10:45

Hello everybody.

I need some information about Serbian volunteers of 24th Waffen Gebirgs Division der SS ''Karstjäger''.

Was there any Serbian volunteer on this division? I looked on internet and I found that this division was true ''mosaic of nations'' and everywere I looked it said that there were Serbs in this division. And look what wikipedia is ''saying''

Waffen-Gebirgsjäger Regiment der SS 59
Waffen-Gebirgsjäger Regiment der SS 60 (serbische nr.1)
Waffen-Gebirgs Artillery Regiment 24
SS Gebirgs Reconnaissance Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Panzerjager Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Medical Company 24
SS Gebirgs Signal Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Pionier Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Flak Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Supply Battalion 24
SS Gebirgs Field Replacement Battalion 24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Waffe ... ion_der_SS

Do you know something more?

Best regards!

PS

My English is not perfect but you got the point. :milwink:

Semenov

Re: Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjäger???

Post by Semenov » 22 Sep 2010, 22:00

Serbian heavy cavalry wrote:Hello everybody.
Waffen-Gebirgsjäger Regiment der SS 60 (serbische nr.1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Waffe ... ion_der_SS
Do you know something more?
Best regards!
:welcome:

infos in Wiki it is not right, on my opnion in this unit were only few serbian vol's

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 23 Sep 2010, 11:08

in autumn 1944,when Red Army and NOVJ liberated most of Serbia, SDK (srpski dobrovoljacki korpus or serbian volunteer corps) along with SDS (srpska drzavna straza or serbian state guard) was evacuated to slovenia. All former serbian self-defense forces were now placed under direct SS command. The SDK was absorbed into the waffen-SS on november 9 (or 27 according to some authors),1944. In march 1945 was rechristined the serbian SS corps (serbisches SS-Korps)

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 23 Sep 2010, 11:34

Yes, I know about SDK.

It was specific unit that became part of SS in november 1944, but its members never wore SS uniforms.

But I am interested in Serbian volunteers of 24th Waffen Gebirgs Division der SS ''Karstjäger'', I even heard there is a picture of them or few pictures in Sergio Cobatti, Marco Nara book ''Karstjäger''.

Thanks for welcome.

:)

Ustuf.33

Re: Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjager???

Post by Ustuf.33 » 23 Sep 2010, 17:22

not really, there is some photos of members of the Serbische Freiwillige Korps with members of Karstjager, at training.

it is true that collar patch of members of SDK is very similar to those of SS !

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 23 Sep 2010, 19:30

Ustuf.33 wrote:not really, there is some photos of members of the Serbische Freiwilligen Korps with members of Karstjager, at training.

it is true that collar patch of members of SDK is very similar to those of SS !
OK.

But I want to know something about Serbian volunteers in Karstjäger division

Looks like you have Cobattis book ''Karstjäger'', is there something about Serbs in this division there?

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 25 Sep 2010, 18:06

there is no mention of ethnic serbian in Karstjäger division.
There is many italians, spanish at least 170), some dozens of slovenians and bosnians, but NO serb...

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 25 Sep 2010, 18:47

Am 1. August 1944 zur Division heraufgestuft, bestand diese hauptsächlich aus Freiwilligen aus Italien und einen Anteil Soldaten aus Slowenien. Daneben gab es auch Reichsdeutsche (inkl. Österreicher) und Volksdeutsche verschiedenen Alters und Abstammung sowie eine Minderheit von Soldaten aus Kroatien, Serbien und der Ukraine.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/24._Waffen ... ion_der_SS
The non-German part of the Division - Paul Hausser calls them "a mixture of Italians, Slovenes, Croats, Serbs and Ukrainians" - began to disintegrate in the closing weeks of the war; only the German component fought on to the
end, Its last action being at Villach in Austria on 6 May 1945 (two days before the official end of the war in Europe). Although the Istrian peninsula (from which many of the "volunteers" came) is now part of Yugoslavia, it belonged, at that time, to the Kingdom of Italy.
D.Littlejohn "Foreign Legions of the Third Reich",part 2,page 246

what is interesting is that this unit was in the same places, and in the same time, as SDK; istra,trieste, austria ,and on same duty, and SDK can be very easy attached to karstjager

xqtr

Post by xqtr » 26 Sep 2010, 01:04

Ustuf.33 wrote:not really, there is some photos of members of the Serbisches Freiwilligen Korps with members of Karstjager, at training.
Do you have those photos? If you have,please post them here or send me.Thanks in advance :wink:

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 29 Sep 2010, 18:27

Here are 3 photos , with a german NCO of Polizei, who train members of Serbisches-Freiwilligen-Korps.
We can note that serb wear italian uniforms and helmets, but blank SS tabs and Waffen-SS headgear.

photo is taken in 1944. I guess it is end of 1944, after Serbisches Korps has transfer to Waffen-SS.

So the common idea that there is NOT serbs in Waffen-SS is a semi-liar .

Indian Legion, Cossack division and Serbisches Korps are the 3 foreign units transfer to Waffen-SS to be consider like "paper SS" only. We now know that is is false for Serb.
I know for indian that mans receive similar SS ranks (personalakten, John Moore fuhrerliste part 5), but I don't know if they ever wore part of SS uniform/tabs/collar patch , etc...
For COssack, I know that german officiers receive SS ranks (Gruppenführer for von Pannwitz for exemple), I don't know for ethnic russian(Cossacks)...

So, I hope I give some good answers to your questions! :milwink:

PS : no sorry, but "Karstjager" book don't mention serb in the Karstjäger division...only some dozens of ethnic bosnian and slovenes...but it is possible that some individual serb were in this division...
Attachments
DSC01498.JPG
DSC01498.JPG (164.69 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
DSC01497.JPG
DSC01497.JPG (178.52 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 29 Sep 2010, 18:44

Ustuf.33 wrote:Here are 3 photos , with a german NCO of Polizei, who train members of Serbisches-Freiwilligen-Korps.
We can note that serb wear italian uniforms and helmets, but blank SS tabs and Waffen-SS headgear.

photo is taken in 1944. I guess it is end of 1944, after Serbisches Korps has transfer to Waffen-SS.
on my opnion it isn't SDK, prorably it is slowenian homedefense
Ustuf.33 wrote:Indian Legion, Cossack division and Serbisches Korps are the 3 foreign units transfer to Waffen-SS to be consider like "paper SS" only. We now know that is is false for Serb.
I know for indian that mans receive similar SS ranks (personalakten, John Moore Führerliste part 5), but I don't know if they ever wore part of SS uniform/tabs/collar patch , etc...
I know 2 foto ranks of the Indian legion with SS-insignia

Ustuf.33

Post by Ustuf.33 » 30 Sep 2010, 15:09

Slovenian home defense?? but they never belonged to the SS, isn't it??
do you have some proof that you think it is slovenian, and not serb?
Attachments
DSC01499.JPG
DSC01499.JPG (145.5 KiB) Viewed 3974 times

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 30 Sep 2010, 15:47

Thank you for sharing those pictures with us Ustuf. If you find any other interesting picture about this topic post. :milwink:

I do not think that soldier is from Slovenian home defense.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 30 Sep 2010, 17:09

Here are 3 photos , with a german NCO of Polizei, who train members of Serbisches-Freiwilligen-Korps.
Kindly provide the source(s) of these three rare photos.

Cheers,

Gaius

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 30 Sep 2010, 18:05

Ustuf.33 wrote:Slovenian home defense?? but they never belonged to the SS, isn't it??
source MAA 282 Axis forces in Yugoslavia
Attachments
Slovensko.jpg
Slovensko.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 3952 times

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”