Rimini List Ukranians

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Mailman

Rimini List Ukranians

Post by Mailman » 02 Oct 2011, 16:42

A friend's father may have been in the 14th SS Division, and I believe he came to England via Rimini after the war. I have heard of the Rimini List of personnel from this division, which apparently is held somewhere in English archives. Where is it held? Is there public access for a name check?

Melnyk

Re: Rimini List Ukranians

Post by Melnyk » 03 Oct 2011, 21:20

Hi

the so called "Rimini list" does exist. It is an alphabetical listing of all the inmates of the British POW camp in Rimini, Italy.
The original list is held at the Public Records Office in Kew, London) now called the National Archives.

This list is permanently classified and you cannot gain access to it.

I have a photocopy of page one which shows names and rank and which has places and dates of birth blanked out.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 06 Oct 2011, 16:21

One possible source of checking is the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain (which now incorporates the Association of Ukrainian Combatants in Great Britain)
http://www.augb.co.uk/index.php
Be warned, however, such is the level of defamation that former members of this unit have been subjected to, any approach is likely to be met with suspicion. There are good reasons that the Rimini List remains classified.

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 06 Oct 2011, 19:03

Hi

no the Association does not have the list. They do however have a list which they compiled themselves and which as expected is full of errors (intentional or otherwise).

I cannot think of one good reason why this list should be classified. It was laregly composed from information given by the Ukrainians themselves, and although many retained paperwork - they did not always feel it appropraite tp share this with the British who in any case had few Ukrainian speaking / reading men at their disposal. secondly, those hwo had no paperwork simply gave details that they felt would be in their interest - for example men from eastern Ukraine who were eligible for repatriation gave different names and dates of birth. many others gave incorrect information hoping to spare reprisals against family members at home, so as you can see the list is hardly accurate.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 07 Oct 2011, 13:43

Hi Mike
It was not my intention to imply that the Association had the list (or even access to it) but they may well have Mailman's friend's father on record if he was, in fact, a member.
The only reason I can think of that the Rimini list is still classified is that several hundred on the list are still alive. Given that Ukrainian names are still relatively unusual in the UK it would not be difficult to trace such individuals as I have done myself (but received few responses). Tabloid journalists and others have tried to stir things up for the veterans in the past (you will recall the case of Dr Fostun) and will do so again given half the chance.
Heard you have a new book coming out - true?
Regards
Jimmy McLeod

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 07 Oct 2011, 14:39

Hi Jim

point taken. The Association might be able to help and I shall certainly try too.

Yes the plan is for a new book. I began about a year ago starting with unsed material from my last book. I have also collected some new and imporatnat first hand accounts, new unpublished memoirs, some new photos and a few new documents to supplement what I already have.

the aim is 70% all new material, but I must admit this is a tall order. So far progress in all areas has been good but I have had to stop temporarily because of major work on the house. This will be finished soon and I hope to be back on track in 2-3 weeks.

Odd though it migh sound, I am just as keen to see what I have done as any one else. I was sure that I had exhausted everything first time round but the production of the first book has gained me acces to some important material that I would never have got when I first researched.

A couple of sections are sorted such as training and Slovakia and other parts are well on their way too.

best wishes

Mike

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 07 Oct 2011, 17:00

Hello Mike
One day maybe we will see the Rimini List on the "Latest Releases" section of the National Archives website. Presumably Scotland Yard has been through the list to find any so-called war criminals and, having found none (or none worth pursuing), so this day might not be far off.
Glad to hear that there will be a new book and look forward to it being published. I am particularly interested in the first hand accounts since these are still relatively rare from Ukrainian volunteers.
Keep up the good work.
Regards,

Jimmy

Kolberg

Post by Kolberg » 09 Mar 2012, 19:25

Hello Mike

Do you know I are any changes with Rimini list??
I'm looking for information about my grandfather, he was member of this division. It's bit complicated story so If you interested you can contact me on my priv. email
Regards

Pavel

Jamjar

Post by Jamjar » 09 Apr 2012, 22:24

My Father in law who was in this division passed away last year - in his effects were a number of photographs of the Rimini camp and of some of his compatriots - if these would prove useful to the guy writing the book if it is not yet complete please get in touch.

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 10 Apr 2012, 13:51

Jamjar wrote:My Father in law who was in this division passed away last year - in his effects were a number of photographs of the Rimini camp and of some of his compatriots - if these would prove useful to the guy writing the book if it is not yet complete please get in touch.
I am sure that Mike Melnyk will be in touch with you regarding these photos in due course. Personally I find these photos interesting as they occaisionally show Ukrainians with Ukrainian National Army insignia. After the Ukrainians shipped to the UK from Rimini a number of them came to Scotland and were housed (as DPs) at a camp near Haddington in East Lothian. Perhaps you can ascertain from your late Father in law estate where he landed in the UK after Rimini.

wasyl

Post by wasyl » 09 Aug 2012, 02:05

Hi i have recently joined this forum,and have been reading these posts about the Galician Division,my late Father,was a member of this Division, I can remember as a child of approx 10 years old,listening to my Father and his friends talking about, the war, and their subsequent internment in the POW camp in Rimini and later when they came to Scotland, and of their time in the camp at Bulharry,near Alyth in Scotland,at this young age I knew that my Father had been in the German army,but not what Division,it was much later in life that i learned of his time in the 14th SS Div,He was a very private man,but he eventually started to tell me about his life,from when the Germans came to his village,Zhovantsi...near to Lvov,
Wasyl
I will write more about my Father,in the days & weeks to come,for i have a lifetime of stories to recount,...and like the member Jamjar,i too have some documentation,that only came into my possession, a few years after my Father died,I have his Driving licence from when he was employed by the Allies as a driver at the camp in Rimini,..and i also have his Alien Act little book,that was given to him in 1948/9...if these are of any interest to,anyone writing about these men then i can give copies,

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 09 Aug 2012, 07:14

Hello

just a quick note. I have been liaising with the chief archivist at the Schevchenko Achive in London with a view to her publishing the list of Ukrainians in Rimini. I am delighted to report that the matter has been agreed in principle and hopefull this information will be available sooner rather than later in the public domain.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 09 Aug 2012, 14:10

Well done Mike. I look forward to finally seeing the Rimini List in the public domain in the near future.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » 26 Aug 2012, 20:23

That I will look forward to Mike :)

dloper

Post by dloper » 30 Jul 2013, 01:39

The father of a good friend was part of the Rimini list and ended up in Haddington. My friend is very curious to find out how his father ended up where he did, but is also worried about what he might find out. Is the Rimini list anywhere closer to being published?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”