Rimini List Ukranians

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
bassmansam

Re: Rimini List Ukranians

Post by bassmansam » 30 Jul 2013, 15:12

Hi there, just found this forum. I am also trying to trace my granddads history. I know very little and I am struggling to get started. I have e-mailed a few places in Germany that were recommended by the Imperial War Museum but they don't really know anything. Could you advise me the best place to start please? Any advice will be very gratefully received!
Cheers
Sam

group9may

Post by group9may » 31 Oct 2013, 13:48

The "Rimini list" exists. And I have it.

melnyka

Post by melnyka » 07 Jan 2014, 16:49

Hi,

I have just found this forum.
I have been trying to get info about my late fathers war record.
He fought for the Germans in WW2 but was always reluctant to discuss it.
I have written to 2 army archives in Germany but neither could help.
I have also contacted the Ukranian archives in Lviv to try and unearth some further family information.
I have contacted the Red Cross in Switzerland as well but didn't get anything from them.
I gave up some years ago, but found this forum and wondered if the Rimini list could help.
My father was captured and held in Rimini prisoner of war camp before being shipped to England.
Although through my research of the national archives it appears that the cabinet at that time did not want enemy prisoners sent here but pressure from the agriculture minister for cheap, willing farm labourers convinced them.
The archive records only give numbers but not names of Ukranians shipped to the UK.
My father came here in 1947 and worked on farms around Lincoln with 30 other Ukranians.
My father's d.o.b was 15-05-14.Place of birth Wychopny.
Do you know what info the Rimini list will have?
Best wishes,
Andrew Melnyk.

mariajemicz

Post by mariajemicz » 06 Feb 2014, 14:43

My father joined the 1st Ukrainian Division of the German Army in the last 6 months of the war. His name was Ivan Jemicz and I have many pictures of the RImini camp and some of Haddington in the UK. I believe he was captured by the Germans as they retreated out of Ukraine and the Russians invaded again.

emmar

Post by emmar » 07 Feb 2014, 16:26

Would be great to see the list, surely most are deceased now?

group9may

Post by group9may » 24 Feb 2014, 19:28

mariajemicz wrote:My father joined the 1st Ukrainian Division of the German Army in the last 6 months of the war. His name was Ivan Jemicz and I have many pictures of the RImini camp and some of Haddington in the UK. I believe he was captured by the Germans as they retreated out of Ukraine and the Russians invaded again.
JEMITSCH IWAN 17/02/1924 ?

SMdC

Post by SMdC » 09 May 2014, 00:17

Why is the RIMINI LIST classified?

SMdC

Post by SMdC » 09 May 2014, 00:37

To post number #18 by melnyka

I'm new here, struggling to understand how it all works.

Message to Andrew Melnyk

I read your message and it has similarities to what my father told of his time in WW2 (SS Galicia)

My father was in Rimini but was not captured, he came to UK working on a farm in Lincoln, maybe my father was one of the 30 Ukrainians.

My fathers DoB 6/4/1924
Place of Birth : Byshiv, nr Halych, Ivano-Frankivsk

Liberationukraine

Post by Liberationukraine » 16 Jun 2014, 01:44

Melnyk wrote:Hi

the so called "Rimini list" does exist. It is an alphabetical listing of all the inmates of the British POW camp in Rimini, Italy.
The original list is held at the Public Records Office in Kew, London) now called the National Archives.

This list is permanently classified and you cannot gain access to it.

I have a photocopy of page one which shows names and rank and which has places and dates of birth blanked out.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk
That's very interesting my Dad was there

gblvl

Post by gblvl » 23 Oct 2014, 08:42

Hi group9may
Would you be willing to share the Rimini List?
My dad was in the 14th Galician Division and am trying to find out as much info as i can.

gblvl

ashko

Post by ashko » 30 Nov 2014, 20:44

melnyka wrote:Hi,

I have just found this forum.
I have been trying to get info about my late fathers war record.
He fought for the Germans in WW2 but was always reluctant to discuss it.
I have written to 2 army archives in Germany but neither could help.
I have also contacted the Ukranian archives in Lviv to try and unearth some further family information.
I have contacted the Red Cross in Switzerland as well but didn't get anything from them.
I gave up some years ago, but found this forum and wondered if the Rimini list could help.
My father was captured and held in Rimini prisoner of war camp before being shipped to England.
Although through my research of the national archives it appears that the cabinet at that time did not want enemy prisoners sent here but pressure from the agriculture minister for cheap, willing farm labourers convinced them.
The archive records only give numbers but not names of Ukranians shipped to the UK.
My father came here in 1947 and worked on farms around Lincoln with 30 other Ukranians.
My father's d.o.b was 15-05-14.Place of birth Wychopny.
Do you know what info the Rimini list will have?
Best wishes,
Andrew Melnyk.
My grandfather was also in Rimini, in camp Belyaria. He also came to Lincolnshire to work as a farm labourer. I have a few photographs of my G-father in the POW camp and lots of other small photos. I think I have a photograph which was taken in England at Christmas, there are many men in the picture? I could email you the picture if you like, perhaps your father is in the photograph too? My grandfather came from Sniatyn, Ivano-Frankivsk.

melnyka

Post by melnyka » 04 Dec 2014, 11:27

Hi,

Yes that would be good, thank you.
Mike Melnyk was very helpful to me regarding the Rimini list and the reasons why the allies don't want to release the details of it.
He has lots of photographs of the camps where the prisoners were held in Italy and in the UK.
In fact I have a photogragh with his father on, in the camp in Rimini!
I did get a scan copy of the list with my Fathers details on it.
He has written 2 books which also may be of interest to you.
I'm sure he could help you to piece together some understanding of the part the Ukranian Divison played in the latter stages of WW2.
Best wishes,
Andrew.

genealogyjunction

Post by genealogyjunction » 05 Dec 2014, 13:09

My father in law was aUkranian Catholic, and served in the German Army.

Many years ago, while doing my family history I asked him about his and how he came to England. He told me the name of his village, and that he served to fight against the Communists that were coming to his country. He joined the German army. I did many years ago see a picture of him in German uniform, but when he died his wife destroyed all his belongings.

He did tell me that he was a POW in Italy and that he came into the UK and was a Fakenham.

A very hectic weekend of research has confirmed some of the things we thought.

But the question is where do we go next?

It it worth while going to the IWP or the NA for a research trip?

Could someone point me and my daughter in the right direction as my husband died a few years ago and I have no Ukranian speaker available to translate.

Thanks

Carol Sklinar

dzeras

Post by dzeras » 30 Dec 2014, 04:06

Hi Carol,
My father was in Rimini after surrendering in 1945. I have some of his documents from that time. Would be interested if you have found any sources of information I could contact

Luba

Post by Luba » 24 Jan 2015, 00:32

Hi, I too have just found this forum. Initially looking for insignia's of my dads uniform. He was interned in Rimini ( ID Card: No 1 SEP CAGE, Rimini Airfield. Rank: Oberleutnant.( Senior Lieutenant) SEP No: L-7101.Issued 11 October 1946 by INTERNEES CAMP COMMAND, ITALY). Apparently was assigned to Major Krat. I have quite a number of photos from the camp including a book published in the camp 1946 showing all the officers in caricature style with joky comments about each of them. My dad is also included. He joined the Home Guards when he came to England. Can't find out how he managed that. Apparently there was a whole division of Ukrainian Home Guards in the Manchester area. In 1919 he attended the UHA senior HQ military training.
Does anyone know if there is any one place on the web where I can post some of these artifacts.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”