Tamgas of Krim and Volga tatars

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Arto O

Tamgas of Krim and Volga tatars

Post by Arto O » 22 Oct 2012, 07:07

Hi,
My question is about the symbols used in the planned sleeve shields for Krim and Volga tatars, which appears in the "February 1945 SS map". Exactly the last three vertical ones (below of Don cossacks). The first in question is for Krim tatars and the last two for Volga tatars. What I know/understand that the two first are "tamgas", which are embles of certain clan or tribe. But do somebody knows more what is exactly the meaning, or why a certain SS clerk/office worker pick up this specific "tamga" as a symbol for Krim or Volga tatar volunteers. The symbol for Krim tatars still exists in a flag for Krim tatars. The last is the most curious. It looks like a flower and wheat plant. I already asked this somewhere, and that was the result, but still I would like to hear more opinions.
Also in the collar patch between the word "Kaspisee" and Kindjal with shiel patch appear a collar patch which somesthing in the lower right corner. Is it a scratch in the microfilm? Because if it would be somekind of symbol, I suppose it would in the middle of the collar patch.
Thanks
Arto
IDEL2.jpg
Source: David Littlejohn: Foreign Legions of the Third Reich, vol. 3

Arto O

Re: Tamgas of Krim and Volga tatars

Post by Arto O » 24 Oct 2012, 03:35

Hi,
Maybe the Germans took one of "tamga" designs from very short lived independent states: Idel-Ural state (Russia, 1918). The figure is just in other position. Any opinions of the others?
ru'idurh.gif
ru'idurh.gif (12.5 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Source: crwflags.com
with best regards
Arto

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 26 Oct 2012, 04:27

Hi,
The "Krim" shield "Tamga" seemed to belong to certain Crimean tatar family called Gerae, and later it became the symbol of whole Crimean tatar people, but not as Crimean Republic.
The last "Idel-Ural" figure just seems to present grain (posible wheat), as it produced a lot in Volga area. Together with sunflower I cannot find any other explination.
with best regards
Arto

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 02 Nov 2012, 03:28

Curiously in Japan, holding the flag of the Kazan based Idel Ural separist goverment 1935
Japan Tatars 1935.jpg
Source: theperemechlounge.blogspot.com

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”