Japanese military in Wehrmacht on Eastern Front

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Varadero

Japanese military in Wehrmacht on Eastern Front

Post by Varadero » 07 Jul 2013, 21:29

From ebay two pictures with military personnel with Japanese Flag on arm shield. These where taken on the Eastern Front. Does anyone has some info on this?

I know of Japanese delegations visit the Eastern Front, but this is different, as these shield are on Wehrmacht uniforms.
Attachments
Japanese military on Eastern Front in WH uniform - ebay2.jpg
Japanese military on Eastern Front in WH uniform - ebay2.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Japanese military on Eastern Front in WH uniform - ebay1.JPG
Japanese military on Eastern Front in WH uniform - ebay1.JPG (84.98 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

Marcus

Re: Japanese military in Wehrmacht on Eastern Front

Post by Marcus » 07 Jul 2013, 21:56

Military observers.

A related photo posted by Dan E. Moe:

/Marcus

oaktree

Post by oaktree » 08 Jul 2013, 09:25

Varadero wrote:From ebay two pictures with military personnel with Japanese Flag on arm shield. These where taken on the Eastern Front. Does anyone has some info on this?

I know of Japanese delegations visit the Eastern Front, but this is different, as these shield are on Wehrmacht uniforms.

Germany had many Japanese delegations in the eastern and western front. I believe Americans capture about a dozen Japanese on the opening day of Normandy Invasion. I will have to look for pic of it.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 08 Jul 2013, 10:42

oaktree wrote:
Varadero wrote:From ebay two pictures with military personnel with Japanese Flag on arm shield. These where taken on the Eastern Front. Does anyone has some info on this?

Germany had many Japanese delegations in the eastern and western front. I believe Americans capture about a dozen Japanese on the opening day of Normandy Invasion. I will have to look for pic of it.
Please don't discuss that story in this thread, we have several thread on that topic (e.g. http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82819), focus this thread on the Japanese military observers.

/Marcus

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 12 Jul 2013, 06:26

Doesn't a text under the photo suggest they are volunteers (Freiwillige) ?

checkov

Post by checkov » 28 Aug 2013, 01:55

Interesting. Probably observers from the imperial army? ( in uniform so they aren't confused with asiatic reds).

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 17 Jul 2015, 17:05

Great pictures.

Would be interesting to know if foreign military observers are required to wear Wehrmacht uniforms with national shields.

I saw a picture years ago (writing from memory) that there is a delegation of Turkish military officers visiting the Eastern Front but they were in Turkish military uniforms and not in Wehrmacht uniforms.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”