African Wearing Luftwaffe Uniform

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
AlifRafikKhan

African Wearing Luftwaffe Uniform

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 09 May 2014, 17:17

Does someone knows the story behind this picture? I've never seen blacks wearing Luftwaffe uniform...

Source: http://reibert.info/threads/chej-voenny ... 17/page-21
Attachments
10172864_10154053527185142_6326660656247555902_n.jpg

nordfriese

Re: African Wearing Luftwaffe Uniform

Post by nordfriese » 11 May 2014, 22:20

Hi!

Maybe this is a hint...

From the book:
K.-O. Hoffmann - Geschichte der Luftnachrichtentruppe
Band II - Part 1 - P. 201

Olt Rödel (JG 27) told the Author, that the 'Staffeln' had observation-posts against
enemy air-raids. To make life in Afrika a bit "easier", the posts had some "boys" (he
discribed them as 'eager Negroarabs').

After a while these 'boys' found out, what the job of their 'masters' was, so they
were very eager to do their job as 'Luftspäher' and 'Flugmelder' (air-observation).
After a while the Germans found out, that these volunteer air-scouts had better
eyes and ears than themself and that they were able to identify incoming aircrafts
much earlier by shouting and waving with their hands in their direction.

Maybe they wore this "kind of uniform"... :wink:

Best wishes to Indonesia
Rolf

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 11 May 2014, 23:41

The building doesn't look like North Africa though.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 12 May 2014, 03:52

Hi Rolf, thank you for the explanation. Maybe this could be the answer. I remember one of the kind (in fact, the most famous) of Hans-Joachim Marseille's black servant, Mathew "Mathias" Letulu, also from JG 27...

Best wishes from Indonesia :)

Urmel: Maybe the blacks were then taken to the continent? Looks like some ceremony or something (he's holding a flower)...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 13 May 2014, 12:15

Looks like a hoax to me. Picture is probably Photoshopped...

Webdragon2013

Post by Webdragon2013 » 13 May 2014, 18:39

It's pretty well known that the Wehrmacht in African campaign relied on local auxiliaries for various tasks.
In fact they did this everywhere they went (eastern front), no matter the race of the person involved.

This is just a guess, but you can see the uniform is atypical. It's not a "full uniform", which is typical when you quickly give an auxiliary a German vest and trousers, so that militarily at least he can be identified as being part of the German camp (otherwise would be illegal under laws of war).

The hat also looks like nothing I've seen in the German military. Looks like a local hat on which the Luftwaffe Symbol has been put.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 14 May 2014, 08:16

Webdragon2013 wrote:It's pretty well known that the Wehrmacht in African campaign relied on local auxiliaries for various tasks.
In fact they did this everywhere they went (eastern front), no matter the race of the person involved.

This is just a guess, but you can see the uniform is atypical. It's not a "full uniform", which is typical when you quickly give an auxiliary a German vest and trousers, so that militarily at least he can be identified as being part of the German camp (otherwise would be illegal under laws of war).

The hat also looks like nothing I've seen in the German military. Looks like a local hat on which the Luftwaffe Symbol has been put.
I'm also wondering about his "rank" insignia which looks like a feldwebel with a stabsfeldwebel's pip (or something) underneath..
Cheers,
Max

clement

Post by clement » 17 May 2014, 03:44

Hi Rolf, thank you for the explanation. Maybe this could be the answer. I remember one of the kind (in fact, the most famous) of Hans-Joachim Marseille's black servant, Mathew "Mathias" Letulu, also from JG 27...

I agree with AlifRafikKhan ,just a servant

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”