info wanted on StuGs attached to Langemarck

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
GewoonWouter

info wanted on StuGs attached to Langemarck

Post by GewoonWouter » 22 May 2014, 21:55

Hi everyone

I'm a Belgian 1/35th scale modeller who usually builds German WWII armor.

Currently I'm involved in a StuG GroupBuild on a modellers forum and recently came across a book about the Flemish volunteers involved in the Waffen-SS. The book is 'Hitler's Flemish Lions'.
There is a mention that when the SS-Legion Flandern was reformed into the 6th SS-Sturmbrigade Langemarck, a Sturmgeschütz company was added. After the reform into the 27th SS Division Langemarck there is also a mention of StuGs being assigned.
However, the book doesn't mention the Langemarck StuGs in combat. I tried to google on some info but find it very hard to find some information on this subject.

So, can anyone provide me with some info on StuG deployement during actions of the 6th SS or 27th SS Langemarck? And if so, which type of StuG III was deployed (I assume it were Ausf G., but not sure). Would the trifo symbol be apparant on the StuGs as well or not?

I hope someone can help me on this matter.

Thanks and Cheers
Wouter

Wim

Re: info wanted on StuGs attached to Langemarck

Post by Wim » 23 May 2014, 10:42

From around 18 mai 1943 they were formed to the 6 SS Freiwillige Sturmbrigade Langemarck at Debica and the 7th co would be the Sturmgeschutz kp. From the 10 promised they got 8 Sturmgeschutzen.

P.III onderstel (sorry do not know the English word) adapted with parts from P. IV. and 7,5 cm gun.

On jan 1 1944 their first battle was at Drygloff (UKR) after 7 days the Kp. was attached to a 'Das Reich' Kampfgruppe.

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 23 May 2014, 11:11

Wim, onderstel would be CHASSIS I think, are you, or your source, trying to describe the StuG IV here ?
Alan

Wim

Post by Wim » 23 May 2014, 12:10

Thanks for the help.

No it is so written in the book 'Vlaanderen in Uniform part 7' They speak of Sturmgeschutz III.

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 23 May 2014, 19:37

Wim, I wonder why they speak of "adapted with parts from Pz IV" then ?
Alan

GewoonWouter

Post by GewoonWouter » 23 May 2014, 22:20

Wim, many thanks for that info.

I agree with Alan though, basically, the StuG III was based on the panzer III chassis and lower hull, so quite strange that they mentioned PzIV parts (since we are speaking of deployment in beginning 1944 I assume they were Ausf G's).

Are there names and rank of the crews known? I know the names of the Company Commander and the three Battery Commanders but it would be interesting to have some more info on it (though I guess that's hard to obtain?)

Wouter

Wim

Post by Wim » 24 May 2014, 10:26

Mayby they want to tell that they didn't got the latest and newest tanks but that they got some left overs with different parts. I don't know because they don't mention the why or what.

The tankcrew of Hstuf. Weingärtner was:
Himself
Fahrer: Julien Ponnet
Funker: Wies de Keyser
Richtschütze: Erler

The strength on 10.01.1944: 1 officer 5 o/Officer 76 men
The Battle strength was :2 officer 5 o/officer 67 men

the strength on 15.01.1944: 2 officer 4 o/officer 43 men
the Battle strength was : 2 officer 1 o/officer 33 men

Wim

GewoonWouter

Post by GewoonWouter » 24 May 2014, 21:02

thanks for the additional info Wim. Is that 'Vlaanderen in uniform part 7' worth buying?

Cheers

Wim

Post by Wim » 25 May 2014, 09:39

It depends how serious you want to know about the Stugs. Book Part 7 is about 18 chapters and 1 of them is about the Sturmgeschütze.

Finding the book is also difficult though.

Wim

GewoonWouter

Post by GewoonWouter » 25 May 2014, 13:02

well serious enough. I like getting into these details and the subject is interesting anyway :). I think I found it for sale somewhere on the net. I assume there ain't photos of the Stugs in the book? Would be great if there were though.

Cheers
Wouter

BramvanS

Post by BramvanS » 25 May 2014, 13:28

The book "Vlamingen aan het oostfront" part 2 (between page 96 and 97) also contains some pictures of StuGs III. It is not clear if they belong to Langemarck, but considering the type it could be. They are type G (not with the Saukopf).

Best wishes Bram

Wim

Post by Wim » 25 May 2014, 14:22

I have this picture a reprint mayby:
Groepsfoto 1 - Sturmgeschütze - Heyerick August, Ponnet Julien, Timmermans, Tackatsch.jpg
Wim

GewoonWouter

Post by GewoonWouter » 25 May 2014, 21:56

BramvanS wrote:The book "Vlamingen aan het oostfront" part 2 (between page 96 and 97) also contains some pictures of StuGs III. It is not clear if they belong to Langemarck, but considering the type it could be. They are type G (not with the Saukopf).

Best wishes Bram
thanks for the tip mate. It can be an early or mid production G, the latest versions only were equipped with the topfblende (or later called by the allies - saukopf), and because of production issues not even all of them.

Thanks for that photo Wim, really helpfull, and very cool to see a first hpoto

Cheers

redgemak

Post by redgemak » 02 Jul 2014, 14:01

It would be nice to see the finished sturmgehutz you are talking about..........

Jean

GewoonWouter

Post by GewoonWouter » 05 Jul 2014, 09:34

Hey Jean, I will post the finished photos, but that will take a while, I'm a slow builder...currently I'm still in the construction stages :)

Cheers

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”