Waffengruppe Aserbeidschan

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
sibelm

Waffengruppe Aserbeidschan

Post by sibelm » 06 Jun 2014, 18:30

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to find information about my father, who I knew as "Abdullah Melik". He was from Gunduz-Kala in Qusar (Kusar) province in Azerbaijan. He was drafted into the Soviet army and at the battle of Stalingrad he defected, along with others. I don't know his real name, which makes research very difficult.

Can anyone offer suggestions for how to go about finding information about the 2500 plus Azeri's who served in the Waffengruppe Aserbeidschan? Names, birthdates, where they were from? Which German archive should I approach?

I have a working knowledge of German. Thank you for any suggestions that you may have. I posted this same query in the archives and research section of this site - I hope that is OK.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: Waffengruppe Aserbeidschan

Post by Georges JEROME » 07 Jun 2014, 13:33

the CO OF SS-Waffengruppe Aserbeidschen was Waffen-Standartenführer der SS Muhamed Israfil BEY
basically 17 800 were sent at Doulag camp 200 in Prilouki (Poland) 17 800 men were enlisted and 13 000 served with bataillons 804,805, 806,807, 817, 818, 819 and 820 as well 21 Cies for Transport and Building.
After 43 units were sent in France : Limousin, Calvados, Cantal, Languedoc, Provence
On feb Az. Bat assigned to Waffengruppe were sent at Mende in South East.
Waffen-Gruppe Aserbeidschan FP 21 771
I. Bataillon FP 22 213
II. Bataillon FP 01 793

Our of Militararchiv Freiburg (Germany) or NA (USA°
Written sources :
The east came west by Antonio Munoz Axis Europa Books
Wehrmacht and SS caucasian muslim, asian troops by borsarello Heimdal

Georges

clement

Post by clement » 09 Jun 2014, 12:41

Salam Sibelm ,I have been searching informations about Azeri Turks incorporated in Whermacht ans SS between 1942 and 1944>I dont think you will be able to find anything about your ancestor .All we have in german archives is name of the officers and names of the desertors,sometimes you have names in local archives ,Poland ,Italy or France .
Some links anyway
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... ukasus.htm
http://www.axishistory.com/books/122-ge ... and-der-ss
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=127780

clement

Post by clement » 09 Jun 2014, 12:43

Other sources
Kaukasischer Waffenverband der SS

Informationen zum Bestand
Anfang 1945: Kaukasischer Waffenverband der SS mit Waffengruppen �Georgien�, �Aserbeidjan�, �Nordkaukasus� und �Armenien

Detaillierte Angaben über Aufstellung, Unterstellung, Gliederung und Einsatz können der Publikation von Georg Tessin (siehe Literatur) entnommen werden.

Überlieferung
Keine Aktenüberlieferung

Weitere Überlieferung
N 756 Nachlass Vopersal

MSg 213 Verbandsschriftgut des Bundesverbandes der Soldaten der ehemaligen Waffen-SS (HIAG)
NS 33 SS-Führungshauptamt (Bundesarchiv, Abteilung R)
Militärarchiv Prag (Kriegsarchiv der Waffen-SS)

Amtliche Druckschriften
RSD

Literatur
Held, Walter: Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg. Eine Bibliografie der deutschsprachigen Nachkriegsliteratur. 5 Bde. Osnabrück 1978 ff.

Mehner, Kurt (Hrsg.): Die Waffen-SS und Polizei 1939�1945. Norderstedt 1995
Tessin, Georg: Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945. 20 Bde. Osnabrück 1967 ff.

Verfasser/Stand
MA 5; 2002

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”