The fate of Vlasov

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Imad

The fate of Vlasov

Post by Imad » 07 Jul 2014, 20:30

Hello

I recently read that Andrei Vlasov was hideously tortured in Lubyanka by the NKVD before being hanged as a traitor. There is no doubt he was executed but I found no independent corroboration that he was tortured before execution.

Can someone confirm this please? Thanks in advance.

Peeter

Re: The fate of Vlasov

Post by Peeter » 08 Jul 2014, 15:18

Of course you cant find any confirmation on that. However, it was a common practice.

Steve

Post by Steve » 09 Jul 2014, 15:25

Catherine Andreyev in her 1987 book Vlasov and the Russian Liberation Movement writes the following :-

The writer Trevor Roper said in a 1977 book that Vlasov was visited in his cell by an officer and offered a deal. If he made a full confession and recanted everything his life would be spared if not he would be tortured to death. Vlasov supposedly replied "I know that. And I am very frightened. But it would be even worse to have to vilify myself"

A Russian named P.G.Grigorenko who claimed to witness Vlasov's execution wrote in a Russian publication that it was so horrible he did not want to repeat the details.

Rumour said that Vlasov and others had a hook inserted in the base of the skull and were then hung on piano wire. The date was August 2 1946.

VtwinVince

Post by VtwinVince » 10 Jul 2014, 03:24

The Russians tortured almost everyone they captured, including my grandfather. As a famous 'traitor', Vlasov would have faired even worse.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 10 Jul 2014, 09:18

Hello

See also this topic:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18045

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”