Norwegian SS KIA 4.5.45 at Heiligen Kreuz Austria

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Regiment Norge

Norwegian SS KIA 4.5.45 at Heiligen Kreuz Austria

Post by Regiment Norge » 23 Aug 2014, 10:40

Hi!

Some new documents that has come to my attention I found a statement from another surveiving norwegian within the I./SS.Pz.Gren.Rgt NORGE that this norwegian was KIA at Heiligen Kreuz / Jagersdorf near the river Sassnitz 60 KM east of Graz. This norwegian was buried at an old lokal cemetary and the wooden gravecross indicates the name of the KIA written in red "Fettstift" as he recalls.

Have search ater this places without sucess, I do not find any river SASSNITZ and no Dorf JÄGERSDORF or JEGERSDORF, can anybody help me in this matter and locate these villages as my intetion is to find this grave.

Regards

tomparatom

Re: Norwegian SS KIA 4.5.45 at Heiligen Kreuz Austria

Post by tomparatom » 23 Aug 2014, 14:46

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 23 Aug 2014, 20:18

Hello,

the correct locations should be:

Heiligen Kreuz = Heiligenkreuz im Lafnitztal http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenkr ... Lafnitztal
Sassnitz = Lafnitz http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafnitz_%28Fluss%29
Jägersdorf = Jennersdorf http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennersdorf

Today the places are in the state of Burgenland today which didn't exist 1938 - 1945. The southern part of Burgenland was part of Gau Steiermark (Styria) back then.

Heiligenkreuz is about 70 km east of Graz indeed.

Best regards
Torsten

Regiment Norge

Post by Regiment Norge » 24 Aug 2014, 09:49

Thanks for interesting information.

Yes I have wondered about the text in the original police document after the war. As you wrote there is no Sassnitz in Austria, I found two Heiligenkreeuz, one in Wasser and the other im Lafnitz near the border to Hungary. I think this norwegian SS volunter remebered wrong. In the police document he states that it was a bordertown to Hungary, that seems to by Heiligenkreuz im Lafnitz and he locates this town to be 60 km right eastwarts from Graz. heiligenkreuz im Wasser is only 17 km from Graz, and it is not by the border to Hungary.

There were in fact two norwegian within the remnants of the I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 23 NORGE who were killed in this town, one on the 1.5.45 he was left behind on the battlefield and the second was beaten to death by russians and found 4.5.45 and buried at this old country graveyard near the river SASSNITZ, but here he again remembers wrong. NO river Sassnitz is to be found here, but the little river is called FLUSS LAFNITZ, this must be the same and he mixed the names. The last one is the difficult one, JEGERDORF as he writes the name of the village, this I can not find. and I think again the is it misspelled, but what option is there?

The deates of the KIA must also be wrong, this batallion could not have fought so far east betwen 1-5.5.45, remember that SS-Kampfgruppe Schweitzer fought in the north near Rechnitz around 1.4.-4.4.45 and had to retreat with huge casualties on 4.4.45. So I assume that also these two norwegian were KIA on 1.4.45 and 3.4.45.

The next is to find information on old graveyards nearby, here I do not have a clue so if anybody has information or links here I am very thankful.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”