W.D. Pelley and the Silver Legion aka Silvershirts

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Vance Pollock

W.D. Pelley and the Silver Legion aka Silvershirts

Post by Vance Pollock » 03 Jan 2015, 23:17

Outside of the German-American Bund, perhaps the most often cited organization of pro-NS beliefs in the US during the 1930s was the Silver Legion of America, aka Silvershirts, founded by author William Dudley Pelley in 1933. Photos are scarce, especially of members in uniform, so this recent facebook group featuring a number of uniform pics is of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelleyclub/

Marcus

Re: W.D. Pelley and the Silver Legion aka Silvershirts

Post by Marcus » 03 Jan 2015, 23:20

It appears that the group is not open to non-members.

/Marcus

Vance Pollock

Re: W.D. Pelley and the Silver Legion aka Silvershirts

Post by Vance Pollock » 04 Jan 2015, 07:57

Hadn't thought of that... facebook tries to be overly proprietary about user-contributed content sometimes... I do know that the group is viewable by anyone logged in with a facebook account without joining the group. I'll ask if I can share some images here.

In the meantime, I got to thinking about the prospect of collecting Silver Shirt uniform / regalia items and the fact that they would be completely unrecognized by most anyone finding them out of context. I set wrote this blog as a bit of a "word cloud" to attract anyone researching such mystery items. I think it might also make an interesting description for members here. Feel free to share:

http://www.ashevillefm.org/riffin/01/20 ... n-and-info

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”