Bosnian Muslims fighting for the Axis?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 31 Jul 2007, 01:20

Hi Giogos and Ivan -

Ivan - Glad you could join the discussion!

This photo was taken prior to 21 June 1943, which was the date Phleps was promoted to Obergruppenführer. If it dates from February or March 1943, it would make perfect sense, as this was the time of the Handschar Division recruiting drive, with which Phleps was heavily involved. The fez he is wearing is obviously a local purchase.

I possess a number of photographs of Phleps from his visits to the Handschar Division in France (August 1943) and in Bosnia (early 1944) and he is not wearing a fez on either occasion. So I would presume that this photo was taken while he and the SS were trying to recruit the division.

Best regards,

George

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 06 Sep 2007, 13:54

Hi George

Would you please supply some other infos about money-clothing donations and gifts by Reichsfuhrer-SS and various W-SS units to the population of Bosnia?
I do need them and I havent got your book ad hand.

Thanks
T

George Lepre

Post by George Lepre » 07 Sep 2007, 00:10

Hi -

I can do even better - send me a pm with your postal address and I'll copy the documents and send them to you.

Best,

George

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 10 Sep 2007, 15:46

Dear George, a scan would be more than enugh!
You should have my mail..

Thanks a lot!!!

Tom

Ryan81

Post by Ryan81 » 11 Oct 2007, 20:33

Hi George,

I did read some of your book a few years ago but I never got round to finishing it, unfortunately. I found that military history just doesn't interest me. Nothing personal, mate :)

Renner aus Schlesien

Post by Renner aus Schlesien » 11 Oct 2007, 22:36

Ryan81 wrote: I found that military history just doesn't interest me. Nothing personal, mate :)
What an odd line. :?

Ryan81

Post by Ryan81 » 11 Oct 2007, 22:50

Renner aus Schlesien wrote:
Ryan81 wrote: I found that military history just doesn't interest me. Nothing personal, mate :)
What an odd line. :?
Why's that?

George Lepre

Post by George Lepre » 12 Oct 2007, 07:23

Drapeau Noir wrote:Dear George, a scan would be more than enugh!
You should have my mail..

Thanks a lot!!!

Tom
Hi Tom -

I'll obtain the document from my files and have it scanned in the coming days.

George

novotnyd

Re: Bosnian Muslims fighting for the Axis?

Post by novotnyd » 28 Dec 2010, 19:47

Dear Mr Lepre,

would you please be so much kind to contact me on "[email protected]"? I would very much like to discuss several historical issues with you.

Respectfully

Daniel Novotny

Bosniak

Re: Bosnian Muslims fighting for the Axis?

Post by Bosniak » 25 Mar 2012, 15:36

I am new to this forum.
Greeting to all of you discussing Handschar Divison, especially George Lepre, who seems to be the expert on the subject. I searched for his book in Sarajevo, but it's no where to be found, especially beacuse it wasn't written in Bosnian.

Handschar Division is the subject of my graduation work, the most important paper in ones highschool education. It has to contain at least 20 pages of text.
So far, I have written (with minor difficulties) about 16 pages of my work. I would like to check some facts of my work with you here, and try to get some new information so I can expand my work for those 4-5 pages I need to, to reach the minimum od 20 pages.
I would like to know the exact conditions of the agreement that was made in march 1943 in Zagreb, by NDH state secretary Vrančić, standardenfuhrer Dengel,obersturmbahnfuhrer Becha, obersturmfuhrer Krempler and hauptsturmfuhrer Ulrich. In the book I have ("Muslimansko autonomaštvo i 13 SS Handzar divizija" by Enver Redžić), all the conditions weren't mentioned, only the first condition, the second (this one ended with three dots on the end of it, so I prosume it isn't complete), and the seventh. Do any of you have all the conditions, and if so, do you have an exact reference to a book or a document ?
Furthermore, I would like to know, did the members of the Handzar unit wear tattoos of their blood types on their left shoulder ? It is contrary to Islam for believers to have tattoos, so it's kind of a weird thing.
Also, what was the exact number of catholics(Croats) in this Divison (in percents) ?
Were all of the members volunteers, or were there some people who have been forced in the divison ?
Was the mutiny in Villefranche widespread, or was it just a minor event including just 40 people ?
I hope that you will help me, and give the needed answers (I would like them to have exact references to books or documents, but if that is not possible, I will be happy with the unchecked data you give me). Sorry for the possible grammar mistakes, I rarely use English for more than 3-4 sentences :)

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”