SS-Sturmmann Karl Ewrard

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
StripperClips

SS-Sturmmann Karl Ewrard

Post by StripperClips » 31 Jan 2016, 23:50

I'm looking for any information on my grandfather SS-Sturmmann Karl Ewrard. Here is what I currently know:

Born 8 October 1919 in Algringen (Algrange), Alsace-Lorraine.
Died 24 January 1945 in Prividza (Priviedza), Slovakia.

Of particular interest would be service entry date, conscript or volunteer, units, awards, and manner of death. Any information is appreciated.

We were told that he was buried by Catholic nuns in "Poland" but the German War Graves Commission shows his place of death as Prividza, Slovakia. He is listed as having been re-interned at the German War Cemetery in Vazec, Slovakia but additional information from the War Graves Commission says that his grave was located but that no remains were found.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

StripperClips

Re: SS-Sturmmann Karl Ewrard

Post by StripperClips » 01 Feb 2016, 17:20

Also, being from Alsace, would he have been considered Reichsdeutche or Volksdeutche?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Feb 2016, 21:30

"Karl Ewrard could not be salvaged during our relocation work. The proposed transfer to the collective cemetery of Vazec was unfortunately not possible. "

Don´t know where your story with the nuns in Poland is from, guess it´s only a confusion from people not aware about the real location of the place.

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 02 Feb 2016, 23:41

history1 wrote:"Karl Ewrard could not be salvaged during our relocation work. The proposed transfer to the collective cemetery of Vazec was unfortunately not possible. "

Don´t know where your story with the nuns in Poland is from, guess it´s only a confusion from people not aware about the real location of the place.
The story about the Polish nuns came from his sister to my 5-6 year old mother in the early 1950's. We have no way of knowing it's degree of accuracy.

The link below showing his name 7th from the top is literally the first information, except for the nun story, that we've ever found on him. It states that he's at Vazec. Prior to this it was like he never existed.

http://padlinaslovensku.feldgrau.sk/ind ... tname+DESC

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Feb 2016, 11:53

Hi SC,

you didn´t ran by random about this thread?
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8#p1993118
Take your time to introduce yourself a bit.

Ref. your source. I don´t know if you know Slovakian but the theme is "KIA in Slovakia (= Padli na Slovensku)". It states also further that the nformatins are from different websites, without to name them. I guess that at least a part of the informations is from the grave search of the German Volksbund website:
http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche.html
This informations you can find there about your grandfather:
Nachname: Ewrard
Vorname: Karl
Dienstgrad: Sturmmann
Geburtsdatum: 08.10.1919
Geburtsort: Algringen
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 24.01.1945
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Prividza

The VOJ stands for vojak = soldier, note also that when moving the mouse cursour on the information sign at the end of the line of your source there is no specific information about the grave location of your GF and at many others. Blok = section and hrob = grave, are both empty. That wouldn´t be the case when your grandfather would have been moved to this cemetery.
Best way to start your research with an online request at the Wast:
https://www.dd-wast.de/de/antrag-stelle ... erson.html
Note that it takes up to a year until you get an answer, and that it is liable to pay costs (depending on the results).

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 03 Feb 2016, 15:29

history1,
I just posted my introduction. Thanks for the link.

I speak/read some rusty German but no Slovakian so thank you for deciphering the website for me. I was missing the nuances with Google translate.

We've filled out the Wast form and also reached out to Catholic churches in Prividza to see if any records still exist. The story is that Karl was baptized shortly before his death and, as stated before, that he was buried by nuns upon his death. The original family story was that this occurred in Poland but since place of death is listed as Prividza we are checking there first. It could just be a made up story but at least it's a starting point.

Thanks for all of your help.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Feb 2016, 21:44

You´re welcome, SC.
Are there any letters of your grandfather in your possession? Look out for the fieldpost number ( 5 digits), to trace his unit and thereby the unit´s route of battles and engagements, etc.. Any photos with captions on the back mentioning locations or names?
Keep it up!

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 10 Feb 2016, 22:45

Here are all of the pictures we have of Karl. There is no writing on the backs of any of the pictures. Can anything be determined from the uniform?

Thanks again.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 12 Feb 2016, 18:50

Hi SC,
there is not much what we know from the pictures. Rank is as mentioned "Sturmmann", and he was after/at March 25th 1942 in a military hospital. The Wehrmacht NCO in the bed was KIA in November 21st, 1943 .

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 14 Mar 2016, 19:26

Can anything be determined from the Erkennungsmarke -213-2.E.SS.Pi.E.R. ?

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 01 Jul 2016, 18:53

We just received the following partial records from the Dienststelle. No specific unit information was listed. We also have no details about the alleged desertion and whether it was a true desertion or simply being caught behind the lines without proper orders as was frequently the case.

October 8, 1919 ----- Born in Algringen (present Algrange, Moselle)

March 25, 1942-------Pictured (above posts) in a military hospital

March 26, 1942-------Message SS-Hospital Department Traunstein

May 6, 1942-----------Rank message SS-Pioneer

May 6, 1942-----------Message SS-Pioneer Battalion/SS-Division

May 6, 1942-----------Hospital stay from Reserve Hospital II Nurnberg to Reserve Hospital IV Nurnberg; Stomach problems

July 9, 1942-----------War ready; released to serve

March 26, 1943--------Rank message SS-Sturmmann

March 26, 1943--------From SS Hospital Department Traunstein to Reserve-Hospital Traunstein; Stomach bleeding

January 24, 1945------Prividza, Slovakia “Desertion Judgement Executed”

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Jul 2016, 08:54

SC, are those weird translations like " War ready; released to serve", "Rank message SS-Sturmmann" etc. yours? I doubt that you got them from the WASt. Guess that "war ready" reads in original "kv = kriegsverwendungsfähig".
BTW, it´s Prievidza :-)

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 Jul 2016, 12:04

According to German situation map from 24th of January 1945, SS-Brigade Dirlewanger was in the area of Priewitz (Prievidza).
And this source mentions 24 soldiers being shot in Priewitz by order of Dirlewanger.
The search for mass murderers

Although Karl Ewrard could be a deserter from different unit, just captured in Priewitz and shot there.
There was a large Catholic convent in Priewitz, so it was possible some nuns were tasked with burials or perhaps they did it on their own initiative, when bodies of deserters were left to rot.
24-01-45.jpg
24 Jan 1945 - Priewitz / Prievidza

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 04 Jul 2016, 19:35

history1 wrote:SC, are those weird translations like " War ready; released to serve", "Rank message SS-Sturmmann" etc. yours? I doubt that you got them from the WASt. Guess that "war ready" reads in original "kv = kriegsverwendungsfähig".
BTW, it´s Prievidza :-)
That was a Google translation... the original letter is posted below. Any assistance with the translation or the meaning of everything would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by StripperClips on 05 Jul 2016, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

StripperClips

Post by StripperClips » 05 Jul 2016, 00:19

Here is the exact letter my mother received:

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”