Normandie Niemen and LVF

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
lato716

Normandie Niemen and LVF

Post by lato716 » 19 May 2016, 08:24

Hello
I heard about the fact that french pilots from the Normandie Niemen squadron fought against LVF on te earsten front. Is this information correct ?
And so, is there some books or articles dealing with this fact ?
Thanks for your help.

Charles - Historika

Re: Normandie Niemen and LVF

Post by Charles - Historika » 20 May 2016, 13:58

This information is exact. We have Igor Eichenbaum's testimony (veteran of the squadron Normandie Niemen) in a French newspaper "La Voix de la Résistance"/"The voice of the Resistance", but disappointing in terms of details and precision.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 21 May 2016, 16:40

Good post, Charles. Thank you.

lato716

Post by lato716 » 21 May 2016, 16:53

I agree with you. But is there any books about that ?

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 22 May 2016, 15:27

How exactly did Igor Eichenbaum's know that a Soviet air squadron of French pilots attacked the LVF? It just seems improbable.

lato716

Post by lato716 » 22 May 2016, 16:40

That was the subject of my question. I hope to find archives, articles or books, dealing with this fact ton confirm.

Charles - Historika

Post by Charles - Historika » 22 May 2016, 18:07

Rob - wssob2 wrote:How exactly did Igor Eichenbaum's know that a Soviet air squadron of French pilots attacked the LVF? It just seems improbable.
To answer your question, the article contains few informations on this matter. No indication of place, of time and of the context having allowed this meeting, just an assertion. However, we can quoted General Cuffaut :

Général Léon Cuffaut.
ASSOCIATION DES ANCIENS DU REGIMENT DE CHASSE
“NORMANDIE-NIEMEN”
Front de l’URSS 1942-1945.
8 août 1986.
Monsieur le Directeur
Presses de la Cité – Paris.
Je viens de lire “Les Volontaires” de Saint-Loup, édité en 1963.
Ancien pilote de chasse, j’étais à l’escadrille Normandie G. C. 3 – devenue Niemen – après la Bérézina en 1944, et j’ai participé aux combats de Bobr et de Borissov – dont je suis citoyen d’honneur – où j’ai abattu de nombreux avions allemands.
J’appartenais à la France Libre du général DE GAULLE; et nous avons su après Mojaîsk et la bataille de Smolensk qu’il existait une L.V.F, sans toutefois avoir de détails sur leurs positions.
Votre livre m’apprend tout de cette histoire. Et j’en suis personnellement très attristé, car je me souviens, comme chef de Patrouille, avoir mitraillé les troupes en retraite sur le Bobr, le Dniepr, la Bérézina, Minsk, le Niémen.
* Ce qui ne m’empêche pas d’admirer le courage de ces Français et de saluer aujourd’hui leur sacrifice. "L’histoire ne s’inquiétera pas de savoir qui a commencé, mais ce sont toujours les vainqueurs qui écrivent l’histoire et disent le droit !".
Qu’est devenu Saint-Loup ? Où puis-je le contacter ? Je vous en remercie.
Avec mes dévoués sentiments.
Gal L. Cuffaut.
17 victoires aériennes.

Source : http://www.histoquiz-contemporain.com/H ... taires.htm

* The traduction of the highlighted passages :

"; And we knew after Mojaîsk and the battle of Smolensk that there was a L.V.F, without however having of details of their positions.
Your book teaches me everything of this history. And I am personally very saddened with it, because I remember, as patrol leader, to have attacked the retired troops on Bobr, the Dieper, the Disaster, Minsk, Niémen."

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 22 May 2016, 18:23

So this appears to be a letter, written by French air ace Général Léon Cuffaut, in 1986 - my rough translation below:
August 8, 1986.
Headmaster
Presses de la Cité - Paris.
I just read Saint-Loup’s book "The Volunteers", published in 1963.

I am a former fighter pilot, [who served in] the Normandie 3 GC squadron – (which became Niemen became - after the Berezina in 1944?) and I participated in the fighting of Bobr and Borissov (which I am an honorary citizen?) - where I shot down many German planes.

I served Free France and General Degaulle; and we knew after Mojaisk and the Battle of Smolensk there was a L.V.F (unit in the area?) , without having details of their positions.

Your book tells me this story. And I am personally very sad, because I remember as Chief Patrol, strafing the retreating troops on the Bobr, the Dnieper, Berezina, Minsk, the Niemen.

This does not prevent me from admire the courage of the French and salute their sacrifice today. "History will not care to know who started it, but it is always the victors who write history and say the right".

What happened to Saint-Loup? Where can I contact? I thank you.

With my devoted sentiments.
Gal L. Cuffaut.
17 aerial victories.

Charles - Historika

Post by Charles - Historika » 23 May 2016, 10:58

Thank you Rob for the translation !

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”