How to get information on former Handschar soldier?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
ffbikersar

How to get information on former Handschar soldier?

Post by ffbikersar » 08 Nov 2016, 11:50

Hello to everybody,

What German institution is the best place to submit an official request for information on the former members of foreign "volunteer" SS divisions, such as the "Handschar" was? Namely, my uncle was in the "Handschar" and all that his family knows about his destiny is that he was declared as missing in action in 1943. My father, his brother, is still alive and he would like very much to find out what the official German records say.

Tarik from Sarajevo

ffbikersar

Re: How to get information on former Handschar soldier?

Post by ffbikersar » 09 Nov 2016, 15:40

Hello Scorpio!

Thanks! I've found information about most of these too, at http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/index ... 4tzliches/, but I was hoping that someone who had the similar problem (i.e. looking for information about the family member in foreigner SS units) could point to one of them and say, "Yes, this institution holds the records for such units".

For Wehrmacht and "ordinary" SS units https://www.dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html seems to be the best choice, but not sure about the foreigner units.

Cheers
Tarik

Mujo

Re: How to get information on former Handschar soldier?

Post by Mujo » 15 Mar 2017, 06:03

The best route would be to corroborate the available details on your uncle with the division's training and combat history. If he was MIA in 1943 then chances are he wasn't transferred into the W-SS during the recruitment stage. My own grandfather was in the 373rd Wehrmacht and most of the stories I've heard about where he fought, was wounded, Soldbuch entries etc do not indicate service in the SS. Most of the Bosniaks transferred to the W-SS in 1943 came from the Domobrans, Ustasa and local Green Cadre units (if they could spare them). A large portion of the Black Legion was also turned over to the SS. Those already serving in the Wehrmacht remained them. My guess would be that he was with one of the Wehrmacht divisions fighting in E. Bosnia in 1943. Look up the combat histories of the 369th, 373rd and 392nd Wehrmacht Divs.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”