Generalmajor Boris Graf Smyslowski

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Minotauros

Generalmajor Boris Graf Smyslowski

Post by Minotauros » 18 Jun 2003, 21:20

Hi Guys !

Anybody heard about a Generalmajor named Count Boris Arthur Smyslovskiy (or "Artur Boris Count Hamston [or Holmston]Smyslovskiy") ?

He was born in Terioki (former Finland, nowadays Russia) on 3 December 1897 and deceased in Vaduz (Liechtenstein) on 8 September 1988. He was a Russian-Finnish aristocrat.

Graduated from the Mikhaïlovskaïa Artillery Academy (Sankt-Pietierburg), Lieutenant in 1915, captured by the Austro-Hungarians in 1917.
He's father and his family were murdered by the Bolsheviks in 1918. He joined the White Guard and fought under both Dienikin and Baron Vrangiel. He was interned in Poland in 1921, but managed to escape to Germany.

In 1939, he served in the Wehrmacht with the rank of Sonderführer B (Major). He was attached to the Abwehr.
In November 1942, he was promoted to Oberstleutnant and appointed head of the Sonderstab R (My Kingdom for those who will enlight me about this unit !).
The Germans suspected him of some anti-régime activity and he was placed under house arrest. Freed and cleared after a six-month investigation in June 1944, he was promoted to Generalmajor and entrusted with the task of overseeing all the German sabotage activities behind the Soviet lines.
His HQs had to be transferred in January 1945 from Breslau to Bad Elster.
On 12 February 1945, he was appointed commander of Grüne Armee z.b.V. (?!) made of Russians and totalling about 6.000 men.
On 4 April 1945, he renamed it as the "1st Russian National Army".
The retreat begun on 18 April. The "army" reached Feldkirchen (Austria) on 2 May. They immediatly crossed the border and entered the Liechtenstein: 462 men reached Vaduz, including Countess Irena Smyslovskaïa, the General's wife.

May someone tell me more about this man ?!

Regards !

Xserx

Post by Xserx » 19 Jun 2003, 20:36

Hello, Minotauros!
I think, that in some days I can give you the interesting information (about Zonderstab R too). I had to read Smyslovskyi's book. There a lot of interesting, for example, attitude Smyslovskyi to Vlassov.
Some facts:
1. One more Smyslovskyi's pseudonym - Regenau (Holmston -right).
2. After war he some time of veins in Argentina where there was a big Russian community.
Xserx/

Minotauros

Post by Minotauros » 20 Jun 2003, 14:54

Thank you Xserx !

I'll wait till you read the book.

:)

Xserx

Post by Xserx » 23 Jun 2003, 13:23

About Boris Smyslovsky (conspiration pseudonyms – Holmston, Regenau)
Smyslovsky before war was the chief of a staff of East department ROVS (Russian Military Union). It was the most influential organization in environment of the participants of White Movement abroad. It had branches in many countries of Europe. By the basic idea ROVS was to act in case of war on the side anticommunists forces. Therefore many members ROVS, including Smyslovsky, participated in WW2 on Germany side.
In July 1941, under a management Abwehr, was generated 1-st Russian prospecting bataillon under command Smyslovsky (major Regenau). During 1941-1942 on the basis of this bataillon 12 prospecting bataillons were created. In these bataillons 85 % the soldier and officers were made by former soldiers and officers of the Soviet army, and 15 % - former participants of White Movement. In 1942 on the basis of these bataillons for investigation in rear of the Soviet army was created 1001 Abwehr grenader standart.
Source: Officer’s structure of army the general-leutenant Vlassov A.A. by Aleksandrov K.M. (Sankt-Petersburg, 2001. Russian language, of course)

About Sonderstab R (R=Russland).
This organization under a management B.Smyslovsky was created at Abwehrstab "Walli" in March 1942. The basic purposes: 1. Supervision and struggle against partizans and Soviet diversants; 2. Conducting the antiSoviet propaganda on occupated territories. The agents of this organization worked under a kind of the officials occupated administration, of the dealers etc. The most prepared agents were deserted in rear of Red Army. Sonderstab R worked up to the end 1943 with the HQ in Warsaw (official name - "East civil engineering firm Gilzen"). Main centres of organization were in Pskov, Minsk, Kiev and Simferopol
Source: Fascism and Russian Emigration (1920-1945) by Okorokov A.V. (Moscow,2002. Russian language too)

P.S: I hope, that this information will be for you interesting. More complete information about Smyslovsky I shall place in this theme in one week. I apologize, but I now have not enough of time. I shall try to place the information as soon as possible.
P.P.S. Excuse mine poor English.

Xserx/

Minotauros

Post by Minotauros » 27 Jun 2003, 14:01

Otchin spasibo, Xserx !

Very interesting and very kind of you !

Xserx

Post by Xserx » 22 Aug 2003, 14:14

Hi, Minotauros! I hope, that the information about Smyslovsky is still interesting to you.
My source: the lieutenant colonel Kashirin: Military National Liberation Movement of a name Generalissimus Suvorov // the General Holmston-Smyslovsky. Elected clauses and speeches. Buenos Aires, 1953.(Russian language)
To the moment of a beginning of war Smyslovsky borrowed a post of the chief of a staff of East Department ROVS - Russian Military Union (chief of a Department - general Trusov). HQ this Department – Warsaw.
German command did not want to resort to services of the “white” emigrants from Russia. For example, in reply to the offer of the chief of the German Department ROVS of the general À.À. von Lampe, made von Brauhich about attraction to struggle with USSR of the emigrants, was received the answer, that "use of the emigrants is not supposed”. But at Smyslovsky there were good communications with German command. He has ended Truppenarmt (maximum military institution at Reichsver, as a matter of fact - Academy of a General Staff). At Smyslovsky there was a grade major of a General Staff Wermacht. He managed to achieve creation at group of armies "Nord" of a intelligens-educational Russian bataillon (July 1941). This bataillon submitted Abwehr. With the purposes of conspiration Smyslovsky takes a pseudonym von Regenau. By the end 1942 on different parts of front was created such 12 bataillons
As writes Kashirin:
The Basic idea at creation of these bataillons consist that under pretext of organization of special educational prospecting bataillons major Regenau could create a nucleus of new Russian army. The investigation was conducted by these bataillons only to calm Germans. The basic purpose there was a training of personnel of Russian army.
At the end of 1942 Smyslovsky receives a grade of the lieutenant colonel and is nominated as the inspector of Russian educational prospecting bataillons at OKH. The educational prospecting bataillons are united in 1001 grenadier regiment.
In the beginning 1943 Smyslovsky receives a grade of the colonel and becomes the chief "Sonderstab R". This organization should coordinate prospecting and diversion activity in rear of Red Army and was division Abwehrstab "Walli" 2 (investigation and diversion). The educational prospecting bataillons are united in 1001 grenadier regiment.
By the chief of his staff was nominated M.M. Shapovalov. In Kashirin's to clause about him the following items of information are resulted: Shapovalov was
by the Chief of a staff at Smyslovsky of the Soviet General Staff colonel...
However, under the items of information, which are resulted in the book Officer's structure of army the general-leutenant Vlassov A.A. by Aleksandrov K.M. (Sankt-Petersburg, 2001.), Shapovalov was the general - major of the Soviet army (order SNK USSR from October 1)
Soon, as a result of struggle between Abwehr and SD, Smyslovsky was arrested and 6 months was under home arrest. “Sonderstab R” was disbanded. Smyslovsku was accused in connection with Ukrainian (UPA) and Polish (AKA) partisans and, that he has refused to give out Gestapo of the Ukrainian commander Borovets, who has arrived to his staff. On Hitler's to the order, the consequence was conducted under the control Fieldmarshal Keitel. Smyslovsky was recognized innocent and is awarded with a German award (Award of merits German Eagle – Verdienstorden Deutscher Adler; I think, that 2-nd degrees). 1-st Russian National division was generated. The 2 of February 1945 on the basis of this division have begun to create army. It referred to as "Green army of the special purpose". Smyslovsky's the pseudonym (von Regenau) was opened by the Soviet investigation and he has accepted a new pseudonym - Holmston.
March 10 1945 " the Green army " was renamed into 1-st Russian National Army(RNA). Smyslovsky has received a grade the general - major. Officially army was recognized "allied army" and was in operative submission of Germany; proved to be true it neutral in relation to Western allies.
After internation of RNA in territory of Lihtenstein Smyslovsky it was possible to not admit forced repatriation of the members RNA in USSR. To 1947 basic parts of the members of army has emigrated in Argentina. Smyslovsky has organized in Argentina political movement anticommunist orientation – Military National Liberation Movement of a name Generalissimus Suvorov. The movement issued the newspaper "Suvorovets".

Xserx/

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 20 Aug 2007, 22:19

There is a book on the internierung in Liechtenstein:
Geiger, Peter
Schlapp, Manfred

Russen in Liechtenstein

Flucht und Internierung der Wehrmacht-Armee Holmstons 1945-1948
Jan-Hendrik

belgrade

Re: Generalmajor Boris Graf Smyslowski

Post by belgrade » 08 Apr 2014, 18:04

Hi,
Ich interessiere mich ob Smyslovski ever was in Belgrade Serbia..
Thnx

Alexderome

Post by Alexderome » 19 Apr 2014, 22:16

I don't think that Smyslowsky was in YOugoslavia as he and his 1. Russischen Nationalarmee retreated from Austria to Liechstenstein, some info here :
http://www.armymuseum.ru/roarus1_e.html/
ps, if someone could check this book :
ALEX
http://hongrie2gm.creer-forums-gratuit.fr/forum.htm
Eravamo 30 d'una sorte, 31 con la morte (Gabriele d'Annunzio).

Alexderome

Post by Alexderome » 19 Apr 2014, 23:30

Generalmajor Boris Smysłowsky, 3rd from right
source : http://www.konflikty.pl/z,Galeria_do_ar ... lovsky.jpg
ALEX

Jarek-G

Post by Jarek-G » 19 Jun 2014, 15:50

Hi guys! More about Smyslowski and his "srmy" under link: http://www.e-archiv.li/textDetail.aspx? ... 1525&eID=1
site of Lichtenstein's Archiv.
Best
Jarek

Alexderome

Post by Alexderome » 24 Jun 2014, 23:56

there is also this book:
Russen in Liechtenstein. Flucht und Internierung der Wehrmacht-Armee Holmstons 1945-1948. Mit der Liste der Internierten und dem russischen Tagebuch des Georgij Simon. Summary in Russisch, Englisch, Französisch und Spanisch.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russen-Liechten ... 3908186080

ALEX

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 29 Mar 2015, 01:12

Dear Forum,

In 1978 I met former Captain KLIMENKO. He was living in San Martin de los Andes ( Argentina ) as a manager of a well known chocolate shop. I was thrilled listening his war stories in two occasions. He was the one who rammed open the border checkpoint barrier into Liechtenstein while commanding the leading armored car. He won two or three "Eastern People" Iron Crosses if I remember well. At least one of his sons is still living in that Argentine tourist resort.

Alexderome

Post by Alexderome » 29 Mar 2015, 01:44

I remember this scene on the movie : Vent d'Est.
But few are the souces about 1. Russischen Nationalarmee and Smyslowsky.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 May 2017, 17:20

Hi ignaciooscar,

I fear that "Captain Klimenko" was prone to some exaggeration. The Russian National Army had no armoured cars. Indeed, one source claims only a quarter of its men even had rifles. Photos of their internment in Liechtenstein show that they didn't even have consistent uniforms. Besides, knocking down the border barrier as if invading was hardly likely to endear the RNA to Liechtenstein just when they were looking for sanctuary there.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”