Pics of Slovenian SD

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Ostuf Charlemagne

Pics of Slovenian SD

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 01 Sep 2003, 03:57

Here some SD slovenian auxiliaries ...in the 1st one,look at the paramedic (red cross armband) obviously an unterscharfuehrer but with no rank on the spiegel..... this pic was token during the same counterinsurgence ops of the SS polizei pictures i scanned (SS Polizei in action in Slovenia)

Hi Kocjo,i knew you wouldn't lost these ones,right ?
Attachments
foto80.jpg
foto80.jpg (56.04 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
foto85.jpg
foto85.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 2244 times

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 01 Sep 2003, 06:50

Thanks a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) 8O :D

Do you have any other info on this troops?

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 02 Sep 2003, 02:17

Hi Kamerad Kocjo ....... sorry to say i've no many infos about them....
.... but i do have more pictures of them !

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 02 Sep 2003, 08:26

Ostuf Charlemagne wrote:Hi Kamerad Kocjo ....... sorry to say i've no many infos about them....
.... but i do have more pictures of them !

Soo post it, post it!!! :) :D 8O :wink:

Please.

Dan E. Moe

Post by Dan E. Moe » 02 Sep 2003, 19:33

Slovenian SD??

Dont you mean the Upper Carnolia Home Defece force which received SD uniforms in 1944.

Were they actually a part of SD/SS?

dan

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 02 Sep 2003, 22:12

frontkjemper wrote:Slovenian SD??

Dont you mean the Upper Carnolia Home Defece force which received SD uniforms in 1944.

Were they actually a part of SD/SS?

dan
OK, I can't speak for the first photo, but on the second you can clearly see, that these are SS uniforms (SS-runs, Totenkopf's). But because there are no SD arm-patches, these are not members of SD but the W-SS or SS-Pol..

Home Guard - Slovensko domobranstvo (SD) used uniforms of Schutz-Pol. and not SS, BTW.

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 03 Sep 2003, 04:54

Front Kaempfer : Mein lieber Kamerad Wikinger,the men of both pics are SD auxiliaries (in Croatia too,the SD raised 15 such companies),they don't wear SD badge but they don't wear the SS eagle on the arm,neither.
The collar tabs are completely black.

Now ,my dear Kocjo.... be may guest,here we go :

- SS policemen in action.... 2nd picture

- Slovenian auxiliaries (1st pic)....second man from left is SS Polizei officer,third one is croatian army officer....first from right is obviously slovenian because of his arm badge....
Can you identify the units and /or nationality of first man from left and second man from right ??

-Slovenian and Croatians on top of italian tank.

Do you have the books from Axis-Europa,
''Slovenian Axis Forces in WW2'' by Antonio Muñoz
and ''Gestapo Volunteers:The Oberkrainer Selbstschuetz 1943-45''
by Monika Kokalj Kocevar ?????????
if not ,go to http://www.axiseuropa.com
i don't have them but plan to buy them very soon....
Attachments
foto86.jpg
foto86.jpg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
foto88.jpg
foto88.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
foto87.jpg
foto87.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 03 Sep 2003, 05:04

And more pics for my friend Kocjo (Christmas is coming !)

- Slovenian-German Wehrmannschaftsregiment Untersteiermark ,token in Maribor,April 17th 1942....

- Santa Lucia D'Isonzo 1944 : A Waffen-SS stubaf with an adjutantoffizier
of SS Polizei rgt .14 and italain officers from bersaglieri batallion ''Mussolini''.Slovenian front.

- SS Standartenfuehrer u.Oberst der Schuetzpolizei B.Griese,kdr Polizei rgt .14 in Slovenia

I have a pic of Tchetniks torturing a pro-axis croatian civilian...do you want me to send it to your e-mail,Kocjo ???
Attachments
foto17.jpg
foto17.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
foto89.jpg
foto89.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
foto95.jpg
foto95.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 03 Sep 2003, 07:25

I know Monika Kokalj Kočevar; she works in the same museum, where my mentor works. I have another of her books in Slovenian about Slovenian Home Defence.

Thanks again for posting these photos! :D

Regards,
Kocjo

Hecht

Re:

Post by Hecht » 11 Aug 2014, 19:26

Old thread but still have a question; seems like I have a problem in relation to some "Oberkrainers" in SD uniforms I've seen on the net during the last years.
Some sources stated they were members of the Grenzpolizei in Veldes, some others they were just members of the Oberkrainer Selbstschutz in SD uniform.
As far as I know the Oberkrainer Selbstschutz used Orpo-like tunics with the Oberkrain sleeve shield and no collar tabs.
Since also members of Gegenbande wore SD uniforms sometimes, and since Selbstschutz was an SD creature, is there any link between such a units?

Many thanks

trekker

Re: Re:

Post by trekker » 13 Aug 2014, 13:38

Hecht wrote: Since also members of Gegenbande wore SD uniforms sometimes, and since Selbstschutz was an SD creature, is there any link between such a units?
Uniforms are not my field of interest but the following information might be helpful:

Gegenbande existed in Gorenjska and Štajerska regions. They were irregular temporary groups for anti-partisan warfare based on gathering and exploiting intelligence information. These groups were formed of men from gestapo, schupo and gendarmerie (Germans and Slovenes) and of gestapo collaborators, usually partisan deserters and captured partisans who acccepted collaboration to save their lives. They wandered through woods setting ambushes and called on farmers presenting themselves as partisans in need of help. Their goal was to gather information, arrest partisan supporters and fight with small groups of partisans.

Members of gegenbande were dressed and armed like partisans which means a mixture of clothes with a shabby look. That's why people called them „raztrganci“. The word (noun in plural) comes from the verb „raztrgati“ = „to tear“ alluding to „torn“ clothes worn by gegenbande members.
I guess caps with red star were also used in action but not on photos.

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 13 Aug 2014, 14:41

trekker wrote:
Hecht wrote: Since also members of Gegenbande wore SD uniforms sometimes, and since Selbstschutz was an SD creature, is there any link between such a units?
Uniforms are not my field of interest but the following information might be helpful:

Gegenbande existed in Gorenjska and Štajerska regions. They were irregular temporary groups for anti-partisan warfare based on gathering and exploiting intelligence information. These groups were formed of men from gestapo, schupo and gendarmerie (Germans and Slovenes) and of gestapo collaborators, usually partisan deserters and captured partisans who acccepted collaboration to save their lives. They wandered through woods setting ambushes and called on farmers presenting themselves as partisans in need of help. Their goal was to gather information, arrest partisan supporters and fight with small groups of partisans.

Members of gegenbande were dressed and armed like partisans which means a mixture of clothes with a shabby look. That's why people called them „raztrganci“. The word (noun in plural) comes from the verb „raztrgati“ = „to tear“ alluding to „torn“ clothes worn by gegenbande members.
I guess caps with red star were also used in action but not on photos.
Thanks Trekker.
Still I wonder if there was any link between Selbstschutz and Gegenbande.

trekker

Post by trekker » 13 Aug 2014, 15:06

Hecht wrote: Still I wonder if there was any link between Selbstschutz and Gegenbande.
Here's my opinion:

The link was via gestapo (KdS) in the sense of when and how both formations were used.
It is possible that individual members of Selbstschutz participated in Gegenbande in the same way as members of gestapo, schupo and gendarmerie. But it didn't change the character of Selbstschutz which (unlike Gegenbande) was a regular and permanent formation of military/police character.

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 13 Aug 2014, 18:27

trekker wrote:
Hecht wrote: Still I wonder if there was any link between Selbstschutz and Gegenbande.
Here's my opinion:

The link was via gestapo (KdS) in the sense of when and how both formations were used.
It is possible that individual members of Selbstschutz participated in Gegenbande in the same way as members of gestapo, schupo and gendarmerie. But it didn't change the character of Selbstschutz which (unlike Gegenbande) was a regular and permanent formation of military/police character.
Thanks.
I recall I've read somewhere ex members of Gegenbande were used to form up Selbstschutz but I don't know if that's correct.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”