Tibetan Volunteers in the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Panzermahn

Tibetan Volunteers in the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS

Post by Panzermahn » 01 Aug 2004, 17:21

Hi,

I read somewhere a quote from a website that quotes Pauwels and Bergier's book, The Morning of the Magicians stated a number of dead Tibetans were found wearing German uniforms in the ruins of Berlin by the Russians..

anyone got more info on the alleged Tibetan volunteers?

Thanks..

The only reference i got on Tibetan volunteers is a footnote from Cornelius Ryan's The Last Battle mentioning that he was with Allied interrogators who were questioning two asian men captured in German uniforms..Ryan said, that it was later learned that this 2 men were Tibetans who were press ganged into the Red Army and were captured when the Germans invaded and were press ganged into the Wehrmacht

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 02 Aug 2004, 19:13

Joachim I read something like you see. In a web page in spanish http://libreopinion.com/members/neuschwabenland/ But it is a conspiracy theory web page. If you want to check it....

Panzertruppe2001

Charm000

Post by Charm000 » 03 Aug 2004, 11:00

I think the consensus is that 'Morning of the Magicians' is long on fantasy and short on fact. It's regarded as a typical 'Nazi-occult' book, like the equally fictional 'Spear of Destiny'.

So you might spend a long time looking for those Tibetans.

R-Bob The Great!

Post by R-Bob The Great! » 04 Aug 2004, 08:15

How would the Red Army get hold of Tibetans?

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 04 Aug 2004, 12:16

R-Bob The Great! wrote:How would the Red Army get hold of Tibetans?
Perhaps some that migrated to Khazakstan or Mongolia?

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 04 Aug 2004, 14:11

Anyone got any info?

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 05 Aug 2004, 12:00

Jochim, it's a myth.

David E M

Post by David E M » 05 Aug 2004, 14:38

Hi guys, This I think has been done to death. There were Asians in German uniform captured in Normandy, I think they were Koreans.
Anyway there is a most plausible explanation somewhere on this very site.
We had a long discussion a while ago about this, use the search engine, sorry I would help further but I'm suffering a shocking cold right now, ( gotta crawl into a hole somewhere )
cheers
DEM

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 06 Mar 2005, 06:27

Rob - WSSOB wrote:Jochim, it's a myth.
No, it's not. A Spanish SS veteran (member of the Einsatzgruppe Ezquerra and fought in the Battle of Berlin) who is still living recently informed Ostuf Charlemagne and me that he remembered a Russian battalion (with Siberian's and most probably tibetan) that fought and were destroyed in Berlin

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 07 Mar 2005, 16:13

Panzermahn wrote:
Rob - WSSOB wrote:Jochim, it's a myth.
No, it's not. A Spanish SS veteran (member of the Einsatzgruppe Ezquerra and fought in the Battle of Berlin) who is still living recently informed Ostuf Charlemagne and me that he remembered a Russian battalion (with Siberian's and most probably tibetan) that fought and were destroyed in Berlin
Panzermahn:

That's hardly evidence of anything (a friend of a friend of mine...etc). What exactly is a "Siberian", by the way, and why would "Tibetans" be part of a "Russian battalion" that was 'destroyed in Berlin'? Absolute nonsense, and I would appreciate you not opening threads based on third-hand innuendo and sheer fantasy.

Allen/

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 07 Mar 2005, 17:16

I think the reasoning behind all these 'Asians in the SS' threads is to try and portray the SS as some multi-ethnic, volunteer and anti-communist crusading army.
This sort of rubbish is a regular topic on far right forums and is the fig leaf they need to counter the tales of SS brutality. I am afraid we are to hear it repeated at regular intervals.

Uninen

Post by Uninen » 07 Mar 2005, 18:27

There was lots of "Asians" in German armed forces, from USSR and from TURKEY.. among other places..

http://www.feldgrau.com/rvol.html

Also this book: The K98k Rifle, ISBN 90-805583-1-1 on page 53 theres a nice pic about the subject, can also be found on Bundesarchiv Koblenz, No.239/2065/18a..

Just that nobody wouldnt be again talking too much of bs..

Regards
Uninen

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 07 Mar 2005, 19:15

There were Engishmen and Americans too. Frenchmen, Dutch and even Finns. However the Asian content was tiny. Many people magnify this small number to portray the SS as an organisation that embraced all races (don't laugh!) Perhaps you could give us the number of Aisians from countries other than those the Germans attacked and used the captured POW's to harvest.

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 07 Mar 2005, 19:24

Uninen wrote:There was lots of "Asians" in German armed forces, from USSR and from TURKEY.. among other places..

http://www.feldgrau.com/rvol.html

Also this book: The K98k Rifle, ISBN 90-805583-1-1 on page 53 theres a nice pic about the subject, can also be found on Bundesarchiv Koblenz, No.239/2065/18a..

Just that nobody wouldnt be again talking too much of bs..

Regards
Uninen
Uninen:

Kindly define the term "lots", and provide some reliable numbers on the "volunteers from Turkey" that served in the Wehrmacht.

As for BS - we now aparently have a phantom battalion of "Tibetans and Siberians" fighting to the death in Berlin for the greater glory of the Reich. What's next, Waffen SS regiments of Lilipudlians?

Allen/

Exxley

Post by Exxley » 07 Mar 2005, 19:38

Michael wrote:
I think the reasoning behind all these 'Asians in the SS' threads is to try and portray the SS as some multi-ethnic, volunteer and anti-communist crusading army.
This sort of rubbish is a regular topic on far right forums and is the fig leaf they need to counter the tales of SS brutality. I am afraid we are to hear it repeated at regular intervals.
Yup. Same argument have been used by Confederate lovers, Lost Causers when dealing with Black Confederate soldiers. From a handful of reliable accounts, dealing with really low numbers, you can now find figures up to 100 000 afro-american soldiers in the CSA.

Here, you got a non-confirmed source about 2 possible Tibetan soldiers, and it soon turned out, according to another non-confirmed source, that there were enough Tibetan soldiers to fill up the roster of many companies. Some battalion/regiment strenght units are on the way for sure.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”