Looking for particular Dutch SS photo

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
CGetty

Post by CGetty » 13 Jun 2005, 10:31

I don't know if this is any help but according to David Littlejohn's 'Foreign Legions of the Third Reich Vol.2' the horizontal Wolfshook was introduced to the Dutch Legion by the Germans in November 1941 to replace earlier unofficial Dutch made vertical versions. However the vertical ones still continued to be widely worn.

The Panzer-Grenadier Brigade Nederland was formed in 1943 and was supposed to use the standard SS runes. Some soldiers hung onto their wolfshooks (presumeably both vertical and horizontal). The same seems to apply when the Brigade was upgraded to the 23rd SS Division Nederland in 1944.

Landwacht Nederland, also formed in 1943, wore an exploding bomb collar patch, sometimes just a metal badge pinned to the collar. In October 1944 Lanwacht changed to Landstorm Nederland and the SS runes were introduced, but many still wore the original bomb insignia. This still aplied when it changed into 34th SS Division Landstorm Nederland.

Here's a picture of the horizontal wolfshook. The quality isn't great. Apologies
Attachments
Horizontal wolfshook.jpg
Horizontal wolfshook.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 13 Jun 2005, 11:06

CGetty,

thanks for sharing the photo :)

Sturmannlee

Dutch SS Volunteer...

Post by Sturmannlee » 13 Jun 2005, 18:11

Hi List,

A friend sent me this picture that appears to be a Dutch SS Volunteer of Indonesian decent...Any clues or leads?

Thought it would be interesting to this thread...

Danke

* ALvin *
Attachments
Dutch SS Volunteer.JPG
Dutch SS Volunteer.JPG (22.12 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

Hallandsen

Indonesian Dutch SS man

Post by Hallandsen » 13 Jun 2005, 22:55

Hi
The pic provided of an Indonesian volunteer in the Dutch SS, are from, or can be seen in
Rickmenspoel, Marc:Waffen-SS Encyclopedia, Bedford 2004
on page 145:
Unusual Dutch volunteer, killed in action in the Netherlands by Wilson Boback of company G. US army 501 parachute reg.during the Operation Market Garden.Photo Credit; Boback via Bando.

I higly recommand the book!

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 15 Jun 2005, 10:52

Hello Hallandsen,

What's the name off the officer in picture neder2 on page two of this thread???

Thanks,
Mike

Hallandsen

name of officer from Netherland

Post by Hallandsen » 15 Jun 2005, 22:00

Hello Mike
Sorry first to answer now, but I don`t have the name.
regards Hallandsen

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 16 Jun 2005, 23:15

Hello Hallandsen,

That's okay, maybe somebody else knows who that is.

Thanks anyway.

Mike

CGetty

Post by CGetty » 17 Jun 2005, 13:07

On a related note: does anyone know what insignia/uniform was worn by the Wachbataillon Nordwest, a unit incorporated into the Landstorm Nederland in 1944?

Any photos would be welcome.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 17 Jun 2005, 13:15

They wore SS runes.

Here's a photo of SS-Wachbataillon "Nordwest" men
with their commander SS-Obersturmbannführer Paul A. Helle and H.A. Rauter

(source: "Nederlanders in de Waffen-SS" website)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 17 Jun 2005, 13:19

These men were also claimed to be from SS-Wachbataillon "Nordwest"
(but also from "Landstorm Nederland" Division)

(source: internet)

Cees

Post by Cees » 03 Jul 2005, 16:05

I just recently learned about this interesting thread. Apparently there are some huge misunderstandings concerning the topic of the Dutch volunteer insignia. In contrast to what is already said, the Wolfsangel was only worn by volunteers of the Dutch Legion, from its formation in 1941 till its disbandment in the summer of 1943. The vertical Wolfsangel was worn in combination with the locally produced ‘Legion Niederlande’ cufftitle (worn by the first contingents in 1941) or the German RZM produced ‘Freiw. Legion Niederlande’. It is possible that, in accordance to what Littlejohn has written about it, the horizontal Wolfsangel was already introduced in November 1941, but the few existing photos depicting the horizontal Wolfsangel in wear, all seem to be made in 1943. This might be an indication that those collar tabs with the horizontal Wolfsangel were only used in the later stages of the Legion’s existence. Besides that, it is evident that the horizontal Wolfsangel tab was only worn in combination with the second pattern sleeve shield - which was produced in Germany -, and the ‘Freiw Legion Nederland’ cufftitle.

The Brigade “Nederland”, which was raised in the summer of 1943, was only supplied with standard Waffen-SS tunics. All the members of this unit wore the runes on their collar tabs, as can be seen on a lot of period photos, and did not wear any cufftitles. There were, however, exceptions to the rule, and in a few cases some Legion veterans continued to wear their old Legion cufftitles. The same goes for the Dutchmen who were transferred to the Brigade from other units. The cuffitles bearing ‘General Seyffardt’, ‘De Ruiter’, and ‘Nederland’ were only supplied to this unit, now a division, as late as 1945, although on a very limited scale. No photos with these titles in wear, however, are known to me. The sleeve shield with the Dutch colours, was not to be worn in combination with these titles.

Hallandsen, I would be pleased to see some close-ups of the Dutch items in your collection, especially from the cufftitles, collar tabs and sleeve shields. You have posted some great photos of Dutch volunteers, but it would have been appropriate to mention the source, ‘Nederlandse vrijwilligers in Europese krijgsdienst 1940-1945’, part three, by Jan Vincx and Viktor Schotanius. The man on the first picture you posted is known to me. He died in 1945.

With all the best,

Cees

Hallandsen

Netherland

Post by Hallandsen » 04 Jul 2005, 11:39

Hi Cees
Thanks for your fine comments. According to the pics, I`m afraid I missed the Title for the Book about Netherland, but I have all the pics as real paperphotos as I got them from a Collector in Belgium that had spend photos for the publisher, Etnika, and I also have the pics concerning the books for Belgium, so I really don`t know the names of the pictured people, only those I knew in advance.
I allways try to give the source(name on a book) if possible, you will know this, looking in my treads. Please apologize for this misslaid.
Those pics from my collection are only a part of it, and they are made the old fashioned way, I have no digi-cam, ,. Acc.to what is possible to show here, this forum accept pics not to big, some askings for details will lead to making new pics I have to buy a film, going to the photoshop in town, and so on...
Hi from Hallandsen
Attachments
kz7.jpg
netherland coll.
kz7.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Last edited by Hallandsen on 04 Jul 2005, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Netherland

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Jul 2005, 11:45

Hallandsen, fine collection indeed.
Could you post that Land.Ned.man's photo solo (larger)?
Do you have more pics with flaming grenade patch?

Cheers,
Ivan

Hallandsen

pics wanted

Post by Hallandsen » 04 Jul 2005, 16:43

Hi Iwanss
I only have 2 pics with the Grenade Collar Patch, then a pic where you see the Grenade as a Helmetsheet, and a pic with
Landstorm chief SS Standartenfhr. Martin Kohlroser, having the Grenade in front of his cap instead of the Totenkopf.
I got a pic from a collector friend, some blurred, but the Grenade can be seen, odd to me are the wearing of the Fieldcap with the Grenade in Front. This pic came from the Web so if someone recognize this as his pic, please let me know.
Hi from Hallandsen.
Attachments
willy.jpg
Willi van Brynen
+21.8.1944 Narva
willy.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

Hallandsen

landstorm Nederland

Post by Hallandsen » 04 Jul 2005, 16:46

unknown member of Landstorm Nederland
Attachments
unkn..jpg