Nordkaukasische Legion !

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 01 Dec 2005, 16:02

Kindjal (Vlad Dracul?) -

The Zeeland book covers more than just the Armenian battalions. It covers nine (9) Ost-, Armen.-, Kaukas.- and Georg.-battalions in detail plus a number of others in passing, according to its table of contents. You can view the table of contents at the link below. Click on the cover of the book where it says "See Inside".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189122 ... e&n=283155

--Larry

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 01 Dec 2005, 21:20

Hi Kindzjal

You can also buy this book the same book only
in Dutch ( makelijker te lezen )

Regards Jos

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 01 Dec 2005, 22:21

In the book of Hans Houterman there is
one photo of Bergkaukasien with the
newspaper "Gazavat" .

Regards Jos

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 01 Dec 2005, 23:34

Gazavat was published in mainly Vainakh language (Checheno-Ingush) and Russian. The members of BergKaukasien who read "gazavat" were chechens, ingush, ossetians, circassians, adigey, and members various tribes of Daghestan.

Khinjal,

That book has no information overall on Nordkaukasiens or Bergkaukasien. He only mentions their unit numbers. Ther eis a section dedicated to Russian volunteers, Kozaks (you can see on the new edition cover the Kocack dance) and Armenians. The photos inside are mainly of Russians, Kozaks, Armenians and very few Caucasians.

Picture repro of Nordkaukasiens. Source: Russian book on Caucasian Volunteers
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 4176 times

Armenische_Legionar

Hi

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 01 Dec 2005, 23:42

OK!

Now... If someone reading Russian, I'll send few of my new book about Sonderverband Bergmann for free.

First one I will sent to my Georgian friend "Georgien" :D
Day mne svoy adres - brat, knigi uje seriey vishli.

Kinjal - I think you will like it.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

kindzjal

GREAT INFO !!!!

Post by kindzjal » 02 Dec 2005, 18:08

Great info !
THANX a LOT GUYS !

Best regards,

KINDZJAL

kindzjal

A new book ?

Post by kindzjal » 02 Dec 2005, 18:10

I am very interrested in Your new book, Armenische Legionar ?
I also do read russian,

Best reg.

Kindzjal

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 02 Dec 2005, 18:35

edojan,

jigar ti :) i was waiting for your book for a while now :) i have to show it to my armenian friend (Alex Bukhchinian) who considers those from Armenische Legion traitors :) edojan do you have that book Ost-truppen in Zeeland? there is a good info about Armenian units and Mamikonian story. Unfortunately I cant find anything on Sarkisian.

Zankanum em kez amena lav barignern, shat shnorhakal em grki hamar, im
amena jerm zankutyunnern mer exbayrakan Hayastanin
yev gexezik Yerevanin.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 02 Dec 2005, 19:31

Speaking of Sonderverband Bergmann, here is a summarized history of the formation that I was able to piece together from what I had. I do not pretend that it is 100% correct or complete, but at least it's a starting point for any comments other may like to make, including suggested corrections and additional material.

Sonderverband Bergmann

Formed October 1941 at the Neuhammer training ground in lower Silesia by OKW/Amt Ausland
Abwehr II from Georgian, Armenian, North Caucasian and Azerbaijani POWs and deserters from the Red Army. Abwehr II was that section of German military intelligence responsible for sabotage and indigenous uprisings. Its first commander was Hauptmann (Captain) Dr. Theodor Ober1änder, a former professor of economics from the University of Königsberg in East Prussia. Prior to October 1941, Oberländer had been briefly attached to the German government in the Ukraine as an intelligence officer. Bergmann was a German Army field formation comprised of Eastern volunteers. It was only designated as an Abwehr unit as a cover because Hitler did not trust the use of Russia ethnics in a combat role.
Lineage
Stab and 1.-5.Kp. Abwehr-Unternehmen Bergmann II (Oct 41 - 8 Apr 43)
Stab, 13.Schw., 14.Schw., I.Btl.(Stabskp. and 1.-4.Kp.), II.Btl.(Stabskp. and 5.-8.Kp.), and III.Btl.(Stabskp. and 9.-12.Kp.) (8 Apr 43 - 12 Feb 45)
History
May – Oct 42: Bergmann deployed from Germany to the Caucasus in May 1942 in preparation for the German invasion of that area. During the summer it gradually increased in size so that by the fall of 1942 it had to be reorganized as a full battalion comprising 3 companies of Georgians, one of Azerbaijani and one of Armenians.
8 Oct 42: 7. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 145 men, 8. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 152 men,
9. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 162 men, 10. (Georg.) Kp. with 252 men, and 11. (Aserbeidsch.) Kp. with 252 men all formed and sworn in this date by Oberländer in the Cherkessk area in North Caucasia, and the formation of a 13. (Ers.) Kp. with 400 officers and men was ordered.
29 Oct 42: 7th, 8th and 9th Squadrons all transferred to Nalchik for operations under III. Panzerkorps this date.
Oct 42 – Apr 43: the Battalion fought along the Terek River in the Caucasus during the winter of 1942/43 as a combat unit where it reportedly “gave a good account of itself”. In April 1943 Bergmann was expanded to a full regiment: I Bn. (Georgian), II Bn. (North Caucasian) and III Bn. (North Caucasian).
26 Mar 43: : I. Kauk.Lw.Feld-Btl. with 270 North Caucasians ordered from Krivoy Rog/Ukraine to Bakhchisarai/Crimea for incorporation into Sonderverband Bergmann this date.
May 43: Oberländer relieved of his command on Hitler’s orders for distributing a political paper calling for the mass recruitment of Eastern (Russian) volunteers into the German Army. Hitler was opposed to this position.
24 Apr 43: in Kokosi/Crimea, between Bakhchisaray and Yalta, under 153. Fe1d-Ausb.Div./Befh.Krim
with: 1,080 Georg., 420 Aserb., 142 Armen., and 811 Nordkauk. (total: 2,453).
Jun 43: Bergmann evacuated across the Kerch Strait to the Crimea as the Germans withdrew from the Caucasus.
1943: at some point during the year Bergmann was infiltrated by Soviet agents and major elements of the regiment came very close to deserting to the Red Army. The conspirator, 3 officers, 3 officer cadets, 2 NCOs and 4 privates, were arrested by the German Secret Field Police (GFP), tried and executed.
Jun 43 – Feb 44: the Regiment remained together in the Crimea under Commander-in-Chief Crimea/Army Group A. In the fall of 1943 the II Battalion changed its composition from North Caucasian to Azerbaijani, while the other two remained as before.
Feb 44: the Regiment was split-up for the first time: the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion, which fought briefly with the LXXII Corps (6th Army/Army Group A) along the Bug River in South Russia during February and early March, was ordered to report to the Volunteer Depot Division (Freiwillige-Stamm-Div.), 2d Regiment, in Mende, France on 12 March.
Mar 44: the I (Georgian) and III (North Caucasian) Battalions were relieved of duty in the Crimea under XXXXIX. Gebirgskorps/17. Armee (Heeresgruppe A) and transported to southern Greece where they were assigned to the LXVIII Corps/Army Group E. They remained in this status until September 1944.
Aug 44 – Mar 45: the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion was transferred from France to the Warsaw area where it came under 9th Army, remaining there until March 1945. The I (Georgian) Battalion was attached to the 11th Field Division (Luftwaffe) in Macedonia during September, then withdrew toward Croatia, as did the III (North Caucasian) Battalion, both being located in the Višegrad area (southeast of Sarajevo) at the end of December attached to 181. Infanterie-Div. In March 1945 the I (Georgian) Battalion was in Syrmia under the XXXIV Corps and the III (North Caucasian) Battalion was in Slavonia under the LXXXXI Corps.
12 Feb 45: Bergmann’s Regiment HQ and 13th and 14th Squadrons were disbanded but the three battalions continued to operate independently.
Mar 45: during March the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion was taken away from the 9th Army and reassigned to Russian Brigade 599 in Denmark. The other two battalions fought on in Croatia until the end of the war.
27 Mar 45: I.(Georg.)/Bergmann with XXXIV.A.K. in Syrmia; III.(Nordkaukas.)/Bergmann with LXXXXI.A.K. in eastern Slavonia.
FpNs: Stab with 13. and 14. Schwadron (39180)
Stab I. and 1.-4.Kp. (19197)
Stab II. and 5.-8.Kp. (21547)
Stab III. and 9.-12.Kp. (24144)
Kommandeur:
Hptm. Dr. Theodor Oberländer (Oct 41 - ? )

[Sources: Tessin; Kannapin; Buss; Thorwald; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-78 roll 413); (T-311 roll 150/847, 993; roll 179); (T-501 roll 19/1278; roll 77/123-24, 166)].

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 02 Dec 2005, 20:28

Larry,

Wow great info. Thanks a lot. Do you know if Wilhelm Conaris masterminded the creation of Bergman? As I know it was his idea to create Abwehr II and he had full control of it untill 1944. According to Prince Givi Gabliani (officer in I Georgian Bergman unit) it was Canaris who was involved with Georgian govenrment in exile and financed/supported the creating of Georgian/Armenian/Azerbaijan units whithin Abwehr II. Do you know anything about connection between Conaris and estern volunteers (mainly Caucasians)?

Thanks a lot again!

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 02 Dec 2005, 22:32

Larry

Thatks for a Great info!!!!!!
But are you sure, that in May – Oct 42: Bergmann Sub-unit included one company from Armenians? By Freiburg military archives - in may 1942 in was an Armenische Sonder-Zug "Bergstreiger", which was a part of 5-th (Stab) company of Bergmann.
I know, that NARA - Washington archives has a lots of interestings but could you, please give me the source about Armenian company. :D

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 03 Dec 2005, 15:02

Thank you very much for your replies! :D

Georgien wrote:
Do you know anything about connection between Conaris and estern volunteers (mainly Caucasians)?
Your information regarding Canaris and the exile groups sounds correct, but I do not have any really good, well-researched biographies on Canaris so I cannot say with certainty. I have one book, David Kahn's Hitler's Spies, out in the garage and later today I will get it and take a look. The Kahn book is a thorough study of the Abwehr and there may be some mention of it there.

Armenische-Legionär wrote:
I know, that NARA - Washington archives has a lots of interestings but could you, please give me the source about Armenian company.
The information concerning the Armen.Kp. came from Microcopy T-311 roll 150 frame 847. That roll of microfilm has huge files (hundreds of pages) on the Ostvölkischer-Verbände in and under Heeresgruppe A in North Caucasia during the fall of 1942. I borrowed that roll of microfilm through interlibrary loan many years ago so I do not have it now. Otherwise, I would look up frame 847 for you and see if there is any additional information. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, the Armen.Sonderzug "Bergsträger" was a component of the Armenisches Kompanie. A Kompanie had a total of four (4) Züge.

Regards to all,

--Larry

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 04 Dec 2005, 00:54

Postscript to Georgien: I checked the David Kahn book as well as the one biography I have on Canaris and there was no mention of him having any contact with the Georgian government in exile, but of course that doesn't mean that he didn't.

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 04 Dec 2005, 14:17

Hello Lary D.

Thanks! What about frame 847 for me, I'll be very glad if you find something additional for my researching.

:D

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 04 Dec 2005, 15:50

Armenische Legionär:

As I said above:
I borrowed that roll of microfilm through interlibrary loan many years ago so I do not have it now. Otherwise, I would look up frame 847 for you and see if there is any additional information.
I do not have that roll.

--Larry

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”