Ukrainians in the Waffen-SS & Wehrmacht

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
LMA-17

Re: Photos of 14 SS Galicia Division

Post by LMA-17 » 23 Jan 2010, 11:40

Not Freitag, but SS-Brigadeführer Karl Reichsritter von Oberkamp, an ex-commander of Prinz Eugen Division

Escapeh

Post by Escapeh » 09 Feb 2010, 00:14

Hello,

I was wondering if this photo has been flipped? Or is the decal really on the right side of the helmet?:

Also, my friends and I are starting a 14th SS reenactment unit in the US midwest. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find reproduction sleeve shields?

Best regards,

Josh

Escapeh

Re: 14th Waffen Grenadier Division ~ "Galician" or Ukrainian?

Post by Escapeh » 09 Feb 2010, 05:45

Rob - wssob2 wrote: "Hey, after we destroy your land, wreck your economy, kill hundreds of thousands of your civilians in cold blood, deport millions more to serve as slave laborers in our war industries, how about you raise some troops for us to beat Communism and then after the war maybe we'll talk about granting you independence?"

Source?

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 10 Feb 2010, 05:56

Source?
Are you questioning that thousands upon thousands of Ukrainians were killed by the Nazis?

Escapeh

Post by Escapeh » 10 Feb 2010, 20:44

Rob - wssob2 wrote:
Source?
Are you questioning that thousands upon thousands of Ukrainians were killed by the Nazis?

I guess so.

Where can I read about this?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Feb 2010, 18:58

Hi Escapeh,

One problem is that the Ukraine was then either Polish or Soviet and didn't publish its own histories.

However, for the Polish side, there is a publication listing all the villages in the country that were victims of mass reprisal actions by the Germans, with total fatality figures running into the tens of thousands. One could probably extract the Ukrainian-populated villages in Galicia if one got a copy. I have mentioned it elsewhere on AHF.

For the Soviet Ukraine (which had 80+% of the Ukrainian population) one might try Alexander Dallin's work (for the Rand Corporation?) from the 1950s. It goes into some detail about how the Germans administered (or maladministered) the Ukraine.

Whereas in Western Europe massacres were relatively rare, and therefore were deeply investigated on an individual basis after the war, they were apparently far more common during the ethnic and ideological war in the East. Thus there does not seem to be such detailed accounting of individual instances there.

I have no figures for ethnic Ukrainian civilian victims, but "hundreds of thousands" does not seem implausible.

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Feb 2010, 14:12

Hi escapeh,

The Polish volume I referred to above is:

“HITLEROWSKI TERROR NA WSI POLSKIEJ 1939-1945” (PWN, Warszawa 1965).

It lists 769 village massacres by Germans.

Cheers,

Sid.

Askold

Post by Askold » 18 Feb 2010, 11:20

Few more photos from a new photo album that was published last year, I am posting just few but still very interesting photos:

Ukrainian version of the classic SS poster (what a great find, I never seen such variation!)

The train with the volunteers - note the Trident emblem

More Trident emblems

Note the use of camo zelts:

Bresslau, NCO school candidates:

SS school in Arolsen, note that everyone is wearing SS runes:

More NCO's

NCO Nachrichten school in Alsatz-Lorraine (photo from the book "Dyvizija Halychyna v Pytanniah i Vidpovidiah"

With Ukrainian Flak-helpers. Note the girl is wearing a standard Luft eagle instead of the national insignia:

1947 Hunger stirike in POW camp in Sheffild England. The soldiers would hang a black flag as a sign of protest. Each day the British would take the flag down but there would be a new one hanging the next day.

Askold

Post by Askold » 22 Feb 2010, 08:47

Thanks for the links.

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 23 Feb 2010, 22:15

Hilgert wrote:Galician Memorials ???
No, it is not. It is memorial for ukrainian community in France.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”