Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations.
Hosted by George Lepre.

Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby Mikedc on 21 Mar 2006 11:57

Can't find anything on SS-Ustuf Per Blegen and just a little bit about SS-Ustuf Georg D'Haese.

So any info on these two foreign officers are welcome.
From George I only know he was from Belgium and I did find some notes in the Belgian SS-topic
on this forum.

Greetings,
Mike
Mikedc
Member
Netherlands
 
Posts: 6176
Joined: 05 May 2004 23:13
Location: Netherlands

Postby Juanjo on 21 Mar 2006 13:33

Hi Mike

I have this on two officers

Untersturmführer Per Blegen - Norwegian
Born 29/11/1926
Dead 21/10/1990
Served in 14ª Company/Legion SS Norwegen
Later served in 23º Regiment SS "Norge"/11ª Division "Nordland"

Untersturmführer Georg D´haese
Born 04/08/1922

Regards
User avatar
Juanjo
Financial supporter
Spain
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 18:32
Location: España

Postby Marc Rikmenspoel on 21 Mar 2006 20:17

It is interesting that D'Haese's first name changed at various times. In the early stages of the war, according to various documents (found in Allen Brandt's The Last Knight of Flanders), he was Joris D'Haese. He sometimes is shown with the Frenach version of his name, Georges D'Haese. Finally, in the post-war years, he began using the German version, and thus he has come down in history as Georg D'Haese.

He was a volunteer for Standarte Nordwest, and came from the VNV. He became an NCO and platoon commander in the 3. Kompanie of the Legion Vlaanderen. During 1943, he was sent to the 11. Kriegsjunker Lehrgang at Bad Tölz, and graduated in the spring of 1944. In common with his classmates, he was promoted to SS-Ustuf. on June 21, 1944. A month later, he was on his way to Narva with KG Rehmann from the Langemarck Brigade. Most of the officers were killed or incapacitated after a couple of days of the Tannenberg Line fighting, that started on July 26. Rehmann went to the rear in disgrace with what Flemish veterans call "a scratch," so D'Haese, who had long front experience, took command of the Flemish battlegroup until the unit was withdrawn a few weeks later. D'Haese had the confidence of Felix Steiner, who visited the front, after Rehmann went out of action, to see who was in charge. When the flemings were withdrawn, Steiner inspected them, and removed his own DKiG and placed it on D'Haese's tunic. But D'Haese was a loyal member of the VNV, and by this stage was openly critical of German policies in Flanders, so the actual paperwork to get him the DKiG was never processed, and as far as I know, he was never promoted to Ostuf. Late in the war, he was injured in a motorcycle accident, and was in a hospital for recovery when the war ended. He went underground with his German girlfriend, and later married her, and eventually made a successful career in publishing, and then as an artist. Brandt's book doesn't make clear whether his postwar life was in Germany or Belgium, but I would guess the former, especially in light of his choice of name ("Georg").
Marc Rikmenspoel
Member
United States
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: 12 Sep 2004 06:44
Location: Denver, Colorado USA

Postby Mikedc on 21 Mar 2006 20:52

Thank you both very much for the information, highly appreciated.
Especially the part about D'Haese is very interesting to read, thanks Marc.

Greetings,
Mike
Mikedc
Member
Netherlands
 
Posts: 6176
Joined: 05 May 2004 23:13
Location: Netherlands

Postby -Michael on 22 Mar 2006 12:50

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:It is interesting that D'Haese's first name changed at various times. In the early stages of the war, according to various documents (found in Allen Brandt's The Last Knight of Flanders), he was Joris D'Haese. He sometimes is shown with the Frenach version of his name, Georges D'Haese. Finally, in the post-war years, he began using the German version, and thus he has come down in history as Georg D'Haese.

He was a volunteer for Standarte Nordwest, and came from the VNV. He became an NCO and platoon commander in the 3. Kompanie of the Legion Vlaanderen. During 1943, he was sent to the 11. Kriegsjunker Lehrgang at Bad Tölz, and graduated in the spring of 1944. In common with his classmates, he was promoted to SS-Ustuf. on June 21, 1944. A month later, he was on his way to Narva with KG Rehmann from the Langemarck Brigade. Most of the officers were killed or incapacitated after a couple of days of the Tannenberg Line fighting, that started on July 26. Rehmann went to the rear in disgrace with what Flemish veterans call "a scratch," so D'Haese, who had long front experience, took command of the Flemish battlegroup until the unit was withdrawn a few weeks later. D'Haese had the confidence of Felix Steiner, who visited the front, after Rehmann went out of action, to see who was in charge. When the flemings were withdrawn, Steiner inspected them, and removed his own DKiG and placed it on D'Haese's tunic. But D'Haese was a loyal member of the VNV, and by this stage was openly critical of German policies in Flanders, so the actual paperwork to get him the DKiG was never processed, and as far as I know, he was never promoted to Ostuf. Late in the war, he was injured in a motorcycle accident, and was in a hospital for recovery when the war ended. He went underground with his German girlfriend, and later married her, and eventually made a successful career in publishing, and then as an artist. Brandt's book doesn't make clear whether his postwar life was in Germany or Belgium, but I would guess the former, especially in light of his choice of name ("Georg").


I was wondering why the Flemish SS-Hstuf. Uten didn't took over the Kampfgruppe from Rehmann? He had a higher rank then D'Haese. Did D'Haese earn the E.K.I. like SS-Ustuf. Laperre for his actions at Narwa?
Last edited by Stormman on 22 Mar 2006 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
-Michael
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: 14 Mar 2007 13:33
Location: Europe

Postby Sverri on 22 Mar 2006 17:55

A picture of Georg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sverri
Member
Denmark
 
Posts: 59
Joined: 07 Mar 2004 12:40
Location: Denmark

Postby Aetius on 04 Apr 2006 20:29

Hi,

about 20 years ago the Belgian TV did a series of documentary's about the collaboration in Belgium.
There was a part called "the flemish legion" in wich a veteran stated that George D'Haese didn't receive his DKiG for the following reason:

When the flemish legion was incorporated into the SS, changing its name into "SS sturmbrigade Langemarck", every enlisted man had to swear a new SS oath in wich they declared Adolf Hitler to be the supreme leader of all occupied territories.

A small minority of soldiers (mostly VNV recruits) refused to swear this oath because they wanted independance for Flanders after the war was over, most of them eventually caved in under pressure and swore the SS oath but received a note in their records which stated "politicaly unreliable".

The veteran stated that George D'Haese was one of these soldiers and didn't get decorated for this reason.

Greetz

Aetius
Aetius
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Jul 2003 09:47
Location: Belgium

Postby Marc Rikmenspoel on 05 Apr 2006 08:02

I had not heard that particular detail about D'Haese, but I believe it was true, and I had heard "rumors" or hearsay that he was considered "politically unreliable." Now those stories makes sense. Marcel Laperre was a Vlaamsche-SS officer, he had received political training, and he WAS considered politically reliable. So while he got the EKI, D'Haese was stuck with the EKII, though he deserved much more. I don't know much about Uten, bit I would assume he didn't have long front experience, while D'Haese did have long front experience, and was apparently an inspiring leader. That counted more in the crisis on the Tannenberg Line than did sheer rank.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Member
United States
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: 12 Sep 2004 06:44
Location: Denver, Colorado USA

Re: Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby Bart V. on 10 Jun 2010 20:51

Georg was called Joris by the Germans, since this is the German version. His real, correct-spelled name is Georges D'Haese. Steiner assigned D'Haese to take command over the Kampfgruppe, I think he knew the quality of Georges D'Haese, because he started as a Schütze and fought in Wolchow and Leningrad in his early days. Steiner pinned his DKiG on D'Haese's chest where they met eachother in Toila (Last Knight of Flanders). He was not given the RK because he was P.U.
User avatar
Bart V.
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 17:37

Re: Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby -Michael on 10 Jun 2010 21:01

Bart V. wrote:Georg was called Joris by the Germans, since this is the German version. His real, correct-spelled name is Georges D'Haese. Steiner assigned D'Haese to take command over the Kampfgruppe, I think he knew the quality of Georges D'Haese, because he started as a Schütze and fought in Wolchow and Leningrad in his early days. Steiner pinned his DKiG on D'Haese's chest where they met eachother in Toila (Last Knight of Flanders). He was not given the RK because he was P.U.

Hoi Bart,
Thanks for your answer, are you sure it isn't the other way around? If I'm not mistaken the name 'Georg' is more common in Germany than the name 'Joris', that I actually never heard in Germany?
-Michael
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: 14 Mar 2007 13:33
Location: Europe

Re: Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby Bart V. on 11 Jun 2010 01:10

-Michael wrote:
Bart V. wrote:Georg was called Joris by the Germans, since this is the German version. His real, correct-spelled name is Georges D'Haese. Steiner assigned D'Haese to take command over the Kampfgruppe, I think he knew the quality of Georges D'Haese, because he started as a Schütze and fought in Wolchow and Leningrad in his early days. Steiner pinned his DKiG on D'Haese's chest where they met eachother in Toila (Last Knight of Flanders). He was not given the RK because he was P.U.

Hoi Bart,
Thanks for your answer, are you sure it isn't the other way around? If I'm not mistaken the name 'Georg' is more common in Germany than the name 'Joris', that I actually never heard in Germany?


Joris is the French variant, I'm sorry, still the Germans used Joris as his name. All of his awarddocuments are on the name of "Joris D'Haese". Georges is born in Lede, after the war he went to Germany and lived there.
User avatar
Bart V.
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 17:37

Re: Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby -Michael on 11 Jun 2010 08:44

Nono, you are wrong, I did some research:
Joris - Used in the Dutch language
Georg - Used in the German language
Georges - Used in the French language

D'Haese was probably born with the name 'Georges' because French names where very popular in Flanders in the 20s.
-Michael
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: 14 Mar 2007 13:33
Location: Europe

Re: Per Blegen and Georg D'Haese

Postby Bart V. on 11 Jun 2010 11:30

-Michael wrote:Nono, you are wrong, I did some research:
Joris - Used in the Dutch language
Georg - Used in the German language
Georges - Used in the French language

D'Haese was probably born with the name 'Georges' because French names where very popular in Flanders in the 20s.


Ok.. I lost it with the variants. I think you found a better website than me on this. Thanks for the correction.
User avatar
Bart V.
Member
Belgium
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 17:37


Return to Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests