Ernest Ottley

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Tiger Ace

Ernest Ottley

Post by Tiger Ace » 23 Oct 2007, 09:54

Hello,

I have this photo postcard that was sent home by a British POW in July, 1942. His name was Ernest Ottley and his service number was 14987. At the time the photo was taken, he was being held in Stalag XXA. I have found out that this camp was in or near Thorn, Poland. The card was addressed to a Mr. J. Mulcarthy (not positive of the spelling), living at 64 Peabody Buildings, Block A, London N.I or M.I., England.
Mr. Ottley states his return address as Stalag XXA and then he put the number 35 after the Stalag number. He also stated the country as Deutschland, which I believe to be in error.

Unfortunately, I don't know which of these 12 brave men are Ernest Ottley. I assume these twelve men were all members of the same prison barracks, but don't know this for sure. If someone could help me trace Mr. Ottley's service, such as his rank,regiment, date captured, date freed, I'd appreciate it. The image in question will be added to this thread shortly.
Attachments
Stalag 20A Front.jpg
Stalag 20A Front.jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 972 times

PaulDBoyce

Re: Ernest Ottley

Post by PaulDBoyce » 20 Jun 2013, 04:29

Not sure if my last post loaded correctly so trying again!
Ernesty Ottley is second from the left at the back. He was my Great Uncle (Grandmother brother) born in 1907 he'd be about 35 in this photo. I found a note that he was in Queen`s Own Royal West Kent Regiment, although as a kid I always thought he'd been in the Royal Marines. I met him several time when I was a young boy he was quite a character, though there was a hardness to him..hardly surprising really.
Would love to hear how you came by the photo, it's not one I've seen before, though my parents have others and probably more info about he's military service
Best regards
Paul Boyce

Experten44

Post by Experten44 » 20 Jun 2013, 23:29

Hi Mr. Boyce,

Thanks for the reply. I got the photo on ebay. Could you ask your parents when and where Ernest was captured. Also, I'd like to know when he was freed.

Regards,
John M. Vaughn III

PaulDBoyce

Post by PaulDBoyce » 12 Nov 2014, 23:47

John - I'm sorry for the gap between notes feel free to email me directly at pdboyce at gmail
I believe uncle Ern was captured in North Africa by the Italians, I'm not sure when was released but I'll check with my uncle

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”