USN Admiral Adolphus Eugene Watson

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
AJK

USN Admiral Adolphus Eugene Watson

Post by AJK » 28 Sep 2013, 17:36

Hi,

Can anyone please provide the assignment held by US Navy Rear Admiral Adolphus Eugene Watson during April 1934 - March/April 1935?

1933 - 17 Apr 1934: Commander, Destroyers, Scouting Force, U.S. Fleet
Apr 1934 - Apr 1935: ?
13 Apr 1935 - 11 Mar 1936: President, Naval Examining Board

I saw one source that indicated that he continued commanding Destroyers, Scouting Force, U.S. Fleet into 1935, but the offical USN Register for 1935 shows Rear Admiral Sinclair Gannon taking over this command on 17 April 1934.

Thanks in advance,

AJK

Steen Ammentorp

Re: USN Admiral Adolphus Eugene Watson

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 30 Sep 2013, 22:57

Hi AJK,

I am unsure exactly what register you have been looking at. Could you give the full title?

I have checked the 'Navy Directory : officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps, also including officers of the U.S. Naval Reserve Force (active), Marine Corps Reserve (active), and foreign officers serving with the Navy' for January the 1st, 1935 and it list Watson as Cmdr. Destroyers, Scouting Force while Gannon is listed as Cmdr. Minecraft, Battle Force and Cmdr. Minecraft, US Fleet.

Sadly the "Register of commissioned and warrant officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps and reserve officers on active duty' for 1934 and 1935 doesn't give us any help as they where made January the 1st and the July 1st respectively. To my knowledge there is none between.

However I am incline to believe that the change of command took place in 1935, because Watson is still listed as commander in Navy Directory and because these contemporary articles: The New York Times brings an article on February 21st 1935 'NEW FLEET OFFICERS ARE ASSIGNED BY NAVY' that "…Rear Admiral Sinclair Gannon will relieve Rear Admiral AE Watson in command of the destroyers of…" and the Los Angles Times has an article on March 7th 1935 "SHIPPING NEWS And Activities at LOS ANGELES HARBOR" which reports Gannon becoming Cmdr of Destroyers. The Berkeley Daily Gazette for the December 5th 1934 still has Gannon as Cmdr Minecraft, see Article and finally the The Calgary Daily Herald from November 6th 1934 which still has Watson onboard the USS Raleigh, Flagship of the Destroyers, Scouting Force, see Article

I doubt that these newspapers would all get it wrong :D
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

AJK

Re: USN Admiral Adolphus Eugene Watson

Post by AJK » 01 Oct 2013, 03:08

Hi Steen,

Thanks so much for the clarification - you can always be relied upon to provide the answers that I am looking for!

Best wishes,

AJK

Return to “USA 1919-1945”