1918 Petsamo Expedition (Heimosodat) / Petsamo in Winter War

Discussions on other historical eras.
Fliegende Untertasse

Re: 1918 Petsamo Expedition (Heimosodat) / Petsamo in Winter

Post by Fliegende Untertasse » 22 Jan 2011, 17:56

CanKiwi2 wrote:
A few of the english-language sources I used
The King of Karelia. Col P.J. Woods and the British Intervention in North Russia 1918–1919. A History and Memoir By Nick Baron
For the Royal Navy's CMB Raids "Footprints in the Sea" and "Baltic Episode" by Augustus Agar
On the British Naval Squadron in the Baltic - "Cowan's War" by Geoffrey Bennett
Are you familiar with general Maynards "The Murmansk Venture" ( London 1928) ?

I have not read it but it was listed as source material for "Verner Lehtimäki Punapäällikkö" ( http://www.revontuli.net/kirjat/punapaallikko.htm ) by Kimmo Lehtimäki , a biography of Verner Lehtimäki, the commendant of the Finnish legion. - Also available as comic book.

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 22 Jan 2011, 20:42

Fliegende Untertasse wrote: Are you familiar with general Maynards "The Murmansk Venture" ( London 1928) ?

I have not read it but it was listed as source material for "Verner Lehtimäki Punapäällikkö" ( http://www.revontuli.net/kirjat/punapaallikko.htm ) by Kimmo Lehtimäki , a biography of Verner Lehtimäki, the commendant of the Finnish legion. - Also available as comic book.
Funnily enough, I just ordered it (The Murmansk Venture) along with Churchills Crusade
Also just picked up A Michigan Polar Bear Confronts the Bolsheviks & The Ignorant Armies by Halliday.

Murmansk Venture used to be only available second hand and was a bit too expensive - its now available as a paperback reprint which makes it a lot more affordable. Let you know what I think of it after it arrives and Ive skimmed thru it

Cheers...............Nigel
ex Ngāti Tumatauenga ("Tribe of the Maori War God") aka the New Zealand Army

Jagala

Re: Location of Photo of Germans in Civil War

Post by Jagala » 25 Jan 2011, 11:02

CanKiwi2 wrote: Heres the link to the flickr thread
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65817306@N00/56972485/

Here goes....

And that's where the Flickr thread seems to have halted.......
Of course it is a tramline and of course it is the line to Haga/Haagabuilt in 1914 and of course it is a stop called Ladugården. The small waterway is Rutibäcken/Mätäpuro (which runs into Lillhoplaxviken/Pikku Huopalahti) and the road is most probably Färdemannavägen/Matkamiehentie (but quite possibly a section of the road that has disappeared completely). There used to be a house called Ladugårdstorp in the vicinity (but I'll be damned if I can locate it at all).

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any decent maps (between 1914 and, roughly, WWII) available, let alone a detailed line map.

You can easily deduct the direction of the "attack", though, if you know on which side of the tracks the poles were or if you know on which side the stream ran.

On the day of the actual German attack the Reds were manning positions both in Ilmala and on Tilkanmäki, but at this point of time their leadership had fled and the troops were completely disorganized and left to their own devices, arguing whether to fight or not among themselves in small groups. Some chose to fight, some didn't, but as fas as warfare goes it was a stroll in the park for the Germans.

PS the Helsingfors/Helsinki-Hangö/Hanko railway line - or more precisely the Helsingfors/Helsinki-Åbo/Turku line (which connected in Karis/Karjaa with the Hangö/Hanko-Hyvinge/Hyvinkää line) - ran through the northern part of Haga/Haaga where the tramline terminated.

PPS I notice - now - that the Flickr thred didn't halt, after all - so I could just as well click "Del" as "Submit"...

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 25 Jan 2011, 17:24

Yup Jagala, that post was added since I posted the content, but I think you did it a bit more concisely than the update on that thrad (below).

Pasi 68 (2 days ago | reply)

Getting very hot!
I think we are very close to finding the exact location for the photo. This is like returning to square one. That's because the answer has always been there. In the books I mean. Oh my..

Location: Helsinki Haaga. Hämeenlinnanväylä road between the Ruskeasuo crossing and the railway.
As much as I would have wanted to proove the historians wrong, I think too many things point at the Huopalahti-Haaga direction.

I stopped believing that the location could be solved by using only the overwhelming information of the internet. The problem with the internet is that the information is so cluttered and not always trustworthy. It's sometimes hard to find the right sources for finding info too. So I decided to move on to traditional methods in order to find out the real location of the original photoshoot. I went to see the original film in the National Audiovisual Archives. http://www.kava.fi/
That was really awesome.
I went to hunt down photos of old time buildings at the Helsinki City Museum Photo archives. http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/Kaupunginm ... en?WCM_...
I also was contacted by a researcher who is studying the area and what happened in 1918. All this helped a great deal.

The more information I got from these sources the more and more certain I became that these photos could not be from Malmi area but are truly from somewhere closer to where the books say they are from. But where is the exact point?

The facts.

1. The main force of the German troops attacked through the area of Haaga to Helsinki during 11th and 12th of April 1918.

2. Some of the German photos and film shots from the operation in Finland must have been staged. The officers and soldiers are too relaxed to be under threat to getting shot.
So maybe these photos were taken just after the main force cleared the places first. In the 1918 film you can see Germans attack on the Ilmala rocks. I must say it looks like childs' play compared to the fact that when German troops attacked to those rocks, major von Reder as their leader, there was actually really fierce fighting that lasted quite a long time.

3.These pictures were shot during Spring time. There is still snow around.

4. There used to be a private (not built by the city) tramline to Haaga/Haga. See the demolished option on the map:
http://www.raitio.org/ratikat/helsinki/ ... kumula.htm
And the next map too. It gives you even more closer look where the tramline went back then:

It was the H-line from Erottaja (downtown Helsinki) to Haaga. The tramline went from Erottaja to Heikinkatu, Turuntie to Ruskeasuo and from Ruskeasuo it had its own embankment until very close to the railway, to the corner of Vespertie and Hämeenlinnanväylä to be exact. And guess what the Vespertie was called those days? This is quite amazing. It was called Ladugårdsvägen! In this case the ladugård must have meant some sort of pasture for cattle and was the name of the road leading there. So is this the explanation to our Ladugården?

5. In the Haaga area the poles for electricity were just like those we see in the pictures. In those days that was not so common type of pole but in Haaga/Haga area that was the case. This crucial information came from the Helsinki City Museum too.

6. Around Haaga area there still runs a small Mätäoja-stream. It runs still partly beside Hämeenlinnanväylä. This fact fits also in with our picture.

There is also an article from an small local Haaga newspaper from 2008 which tries to explain the point where the photo was taken. I have read the article many times and examined the maps. The article is written kind of hastily. It claims that because of the sunlight the photographer made the soldiers run the wrong direction so that there would not be disturbing backlight or as French photographers say "contre jour". But when you see the shadows in the picture you can tell that the sun is almost shining behind the soldiers. So there is backlight! Also the article says that the photo was taken from south to north. I have to say that doen't seem to fit to the scenery at all. Here is a link to the interesting article in Haga newspaper (in Finnish):

http://www.haagalainen.com/lehdet/2008-3/HA0305.pdf

The main story in the article tells a story of a very dramatic execution where totally wrong people got shot, an Estonian minister for example. Many things are matching now. Next a Google Maps point to show you where it is.
I think this is the exact point (-/+ 10 meters) of the photographer and the almost exact direction of the camera.
maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=60.2142 ... 04601&a...

So Jens-Olaf and Timonoko and our friends all around who have joined the hunt of the location of this historical photo. What do you think? Is this the spot?
I think it is. I'm still going to check some maps and try to find information about the house and shoot some more photos and link them here.
Btw. In the latest high resolution versions from Jens-Olaf there are really interesting things! More people behind the fence(?), almost readable text on the note and a wind wheel. Can you see those things?

Jagala

Post by Jagala » 26 Jan 2011, 13:44

CanKiwi2 wrote:Yup Jagala, that post was added since I posted the content, but I think you did it a bit more concisely than the update on that thread (below).
Pasi explained his method or his search path, which was interesting, kind of cool and reasonable in the light of the development of the thread so far (which was almost a text book case of how not to pursue truth by stubbornly following misleading hints). I, OTOH, had the good fortune of being almost there already, i.e. I could remember seeing a photograph of a tram on the H-line and reading the autography of a soldier who witnessed the German advance through Haaga as a boy.

I think Pasi has pinpointed the spot and he is right about the direction of the "attack" being to the east. The poles ran west to the track, but the waterway ran east of the track for the last 300 meters of the line, i.e. just south of the railroad. The stop must be the last stop - there was no turning loop; the driver simply moved from one end of the tram to the other - and the farmer's house and the road with the same name are in the immedate vicinity. I'm not sure that one can actually see it in the photograph, but it is easy to imagine the point where the stream and the tramline cross. The higher ground at far left or to SSE is still there, even though now there are roads and streets everywhere. (The stream runs in a tunnel at this spot.)

The big villa should be fairly easy to recognize, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any decent books about the villas in Haaga (unlike those in other similar villa suburbs). Besides, although they may appear faily unique in their architecture, they are a bit too much like berries or snow flakes IMHO...

Last but not least, it _could_ be that the photograph was taken during the actual attack. The Reds had their positions further to the east along the railroad and in the south they were on the hills, i.e. here the Germans were certainly out of range of at least any accurate fire.

CanKiwi2

A question on the pictures in this post

Post by CanKiwi2 » 26 Jan 2011, 23:40

Jumping to another part of the Heimosodat - I picked these pictures of a short thread on Pohjan Pojat and the Estonian War of Independance. I'm not sure what the pictures are actually of. Does anyone have any idea?

There wasn't any indication on the thread and for the life of me I can't figure out anything from the file names. They're from http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19183

Kiitos...........Nigel

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 27 Jan 2011, 08:50

Hello,

from top to bottom:

Battle of Paju on January 31 1919. Watercolour by M. (Maksimilian) Maksolly

Storming Tapa on January 9 1919. Watercolour by M. Maksolly

Those who liberated the fatherland. Oil by M. Maksolly

Estonian troops cross the Velikaya river taking over Pskov. Pastel by E. Brinkmann

Estonian troops at the gates of Riga in the beginning of July 1919. Pastel by O. Sädek

regards,
Tapani K.

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 27 Jan 2011, 15:46

Tapani, much appreciated.

Kiitos............Nigel

CanKiwi2

Finnish Civil War Documentary - Youtube Links

Post by CanKiwi2 » 11 Mar 2011, 03:09

Civil War 1/4

Civil War 2/4

Civil War 3/4

Civil War 4/4

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 26 Oct 2011, 01:25

Could anyone give me an idea of what this clip is all about - something about Red Finns vs Suojeluskuntas - seems to be an old movie from the USSR from the skiing techniques but I am guessing

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 26 Oct 2011, 12:11

В тылу врага ~ Behind Enemy Lines is a Soviet propaganda film about the Winter War from 1941.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbdNjlP ... re=related

I think "your clip" is from the same series.
All facts turned around.

Cheers
Juha-Pekka :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

CanKiwi2

CO of the Danish Volunteers in Estonia

Post by CanKiwi2 » 31 Mar 2013, 11:45

Captain Richard Gustav Borgelin (10 February 1887, Herning, Denmark – 8 December 1966, Copenhagen, Denmark) was a Danish officer and company commander of the Danish-Baltic Auxiliary Corps (DBAC) in 1919 during the Estonian and Latvian War of Independence. Borgelin attended and successfully ended his education at the Royal Danish Army Officers Academy in 1909. In 1919, when Borgelin was officer of the reserve and in charge of the Second Regiment Corporal School at the Værløse Camp in northern Zealand, he was given the offer of becoming company commander of a combat unit consisting of 200 men. In the spring of 1919, Borgelin and his Compagnie Borgelin arrived in Estonia with 12 Danish officers, 12 Danish junior officers and 189 Danish privates. The company participated in the Estonian and Latvian War of Independence under Estonian army command until 1 September 1919, when the contract expired and the company was disbanded. Borgelin and seven other Danes were awarded the Latvian military Order of Lāčplēsis of third class. Borgelin was also promoted to lieutenant colonel for his services in the War of Independence, and was given the manor of Maidla in recognition of his services.
RGBorgelin1.jpg
Captain Richard Gustav Borgelin
RGBorgelin2.jpg
HVOR DANNEBROG FALDT NED
HVOR DANNEBROG FALDT NED AF R. G. BORGELIN

Publisher writes: A gripping tale of a forgotten part of Danish history, and a unique memoir - the first published comprehensive and in Danish - where Dane captain Borgelin tells of the experiences during the Estonian War of Independence almost 100 years ago. In 1919, a small company sent from Denmark to the Baltic States to help Estonians in their struggle for freedom against Russia and the scary bolsjevikker. There was no consensus among the Danish rulers to come Estonians to help, but the Company was still sent off - under the leadership by Captain Richard Gustav Borgelin.

The immersive and captivating report compiled by Borgelins daughter Ann-Mari, and memories talks about everything from daily life among the soldiers of the friendly local people affected by the horrors of war for the Bolsheviks cruelty. The book draws Company Borgelin out of oblivion and MP and former Minister Bertel Haarder says in his foreword:
"Denmark does not have many heroes in military history. Captain Borgelin is one of the few. A country must take care of the memory of his heroes. Therefore, this book is important. "

Orientation to the reader: Some pages from Captain Borgelins original manuscript is unfortunately lost. This is indicated in italics in the book.

See also an Estonian(?) version
RGBorgelin1.jpg
Attachments
RGBorgelin3.jpg
RGBorgelin3.jpg (82.15 KiB) Viewed 4155 times

CanKiwi2

Danish Volunteers in Estonia

Post by CanKiwi2 » 31 Mar 2013, 12:04

When the Danish Baltic Auxiliary Corps left Tallinn - 27 April 1919 - the unit was also formally dissolved, from now on, the Danish force was referred to as a Rekylkompagni "Compagnie Borgelin" associated with the Estonian army. From Tallinn the Company was moved to the former German training camp in Nõmme about. 10 km outside the city and the trip there was by foot. The Estonian army leadership wished Company as soon as possible inserted in the Southern front, but company CO asked for 14-day training camp in Nõmme to train the motley group of volunteers to operate as a unit.
RGBorgelin4.jpg
RGBorgelin4.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Sourced from: http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/nomme_pic2.jpg
Parade in training camp in Nõmme - May 1919

The Training camp consisted of 4 large wooden buildings and was in an ideal environment for the Company's final training - here was both open heathland, pine forests and ample space for exercise in advance in "disarray" and "groups advance" - just as there were areas suitable for shooting training and grenade throwing.
RGBorgelin5.jpg
RGBorgelin5.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Sourced from: http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/nomme_kort1.jpg
Stamped postcard from August Hellmund in Nõmme camp. Dated 15th May 1919 and canceled the following day.

Nõmme 15/5-19
Dear Ebba.
Thank you for the letter yesterday, here is also green, on Saturday we go to the front igen. Hils all acquaintances.
With Regards August Hellmund

On 10th May the Company's seven Madsen-rekylgeværer (machine guns) delivered - which was also performed strenuous exercise activity on the new weapons.
RGBorgelin6.jpg
RGBorgelin6.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Sourced from: http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/nomme_pic4.jpg
Rest during the exercises in Nõmme camp - May 1919

On 17th May the Company was alerted and all were informed that the Company Borgelin the following day was departing for the front. Before departure to equipment assembled and packed to be ordered a special train to transport and camp cleaned.

Saturday the 18th May at. 1200 was the entire company established in sharing order, ready for inspection by the Estonian army chief General Laidoner, which also received demonstration in Danish field service: Patrol Company, Ensuring site security during the march, Sharp Shooting, Hand Grenade Throw and not least - Combat Shooting with rekylgevær division light machine gun. Captain Borgelin could then join 12 officers, 12 under official announce and 189 privates ready for service. Later march readiness Company to Nõmme station and board the train.

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 31 Mar 2013, 12:26

The following is an excerpt from the book "For Dannebrogs Ære" by Niels Jensen, Odense Universitetsforlag on the Danish volunteers in Estonia and Latvia's freedom struggle 1918)
RGBorgelin7.jpg
RGBorgelin7.jpg (14.24 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Image sourced from: http://www.vognstyrer.dk/Kilder/Baltisk/Parade.jpg
The Danish Volunteers on Parade

The following list of officers, non-commissioned officers and privates in the Danish Baltic Auxiliary Corps based on a list prepared by the corps chief captain Iver Gudme in the conduct of the corps in September 1919. Where additional information has been available, these are applied. in brackets after the name given birth date and place to the extent that these data are known. The military ranks are in the Estonian army used - and does not refer necessarily to degrees acquired in the Danish army or in another country's army or navy.

Abbreviations: DF = Platoon. SF = Section Driver. R-DEL = Rekylgeværdel. HDF = Half Platoon. KMP = Company. KC = Company Commander (-Commander). NK = Deputy Commander. three-digit numbers are the ordinary seamen soldiers numbers in the Corps.

Captain zeal they Hemmer Gudme (15/6-1893 Copenhagen).
Head of the Corps. Capt. Richard Gustav Borgelin (10/2-1887 Herning). Company Commander. (See note below 1) Captain Jens Martinus Mortensen (26/5-7.892 Bredballe). The driver of training.
Lieutenant Christian August Beyer (22/11-1894). Deputy Commander for 6/7 1919th
Lieutenant Charles Th. Dornonville de la Cour (12/10-1884 Hinnerup). DF third PART.
Lieutenant Peter Viggo Christensen (29/12-1892 Egebjerg). DF R-DEL. KC 6/7-3/8. NK 3/8.
Lieutenant Eric Munch-Andersen (7 / 11-1892 Vorbasse). DF second PART.
Lieutenant His Oscar Kofoed (8/6-1891 Ronne). HDF R-DEL. DF R-DEL 16/7.
Lieutenant Kaj Valdemar Hassing (15/10-1892 Copenhagen). DF fourth PART. Calipers. Intendant.
Lieutenant Max John Arildskov (17/12-1896 Overgård Havndal). SF RDEL.
Lieutenant Alfred John Poulsen (1/12-1891 Maribo). DF first PART.
Lieutenant Alfred Laurits Larsen (7/5-1894 Hårby). HDF R-DEL.
Lieutenant Peter de Hemmer Gudme (22/9-1897 Copenhagen). SF R-DEL.
Lieutenant Oscar Schilling. To intoxication. Nordvestarmé. The decrease 25/4-1919 by Gatschina.
Doctor Axel Laurent Christensen. For Valdemar ambulance 24/41919.
Physician Walther Lundberg (German-Balter, Estonian citizen) tilkomm. Corps 20/4-1919.
Ensign Vagn Stefani Steffensen (25/10-1896 Copenhagen). From grain 22/6. 18/7 DF third PART.
Ensign Axel Theilmann (22/11-1896 Hvidkilde). From grain 22/6. By trainet.
Ensign Knud V Zeltner (2/11-1897 Vallo). From grain 22/6. DF second PART.
Ensign Otto C. Klingemann (23/6-1896 Fr.havn). From grain 22/6. DF by trainet.
Ensign Ernst Emil Count Holstein (13/4-1901 Copenhagen). Military aide.
Ensign Carl Bear Schutten (3/5-1895). Got 2 weeks of leave 2/6 - failed to materialize after a break.
Ensign Søren Christian Opffer. From grain 22/7. The fall on the same day at Ostrow.
Feltwebel Carl Sorensen. At the corps chief. Absent after a break. Vicefeltw.
Frits Emil Berg (25/6-1896 Fr.berg). Udn. 22/6. At the second PART recent first PART.
Vicefeltw. Erneste Peronard (10/3-1887 Copenhagen). Udn. 27/7. At the fourth PART later third PART.
Vicefeltw. William Thorbjørnsen (17/12-1891). Udn. 15/8.
Vicefeltw. Aage Grønbech tirunnet. Udn. 15/8.
Vicefeltw. H. Harlev Varlev. Udn. 15/8.
Vicefeltw. H. Læssøe Arboe. Udn. 15/8.
Sergeant Peter Romanus Jensen.
Sergeant Axel Edmund Karl Jensen (6/8-1894 Copenhagen).
Sergeant Ivar Fredrich Jensen (5/6-1895 Løndt Schleswig).
Sergeant Soren Christian Teping (26/1-1895 Copenhagen ).
Sergeant William Emil Larsen. Absent for sickness.
Sergeant Thorvald Emil Johan Bull. Waiting in Copenhagen.
Sergeant Knoblauch. Udn. 15/8.
Sergeant Gleerup. Udn. 15/8.
Sergeant Hansen. Udn. 15/8.
Sergeant Sorensen. Udn. 15/8.
Sergeant George Christian Jeppesen (3/12-1885 Valby Copenhagen). grain
Knud Erik Christensen (21 / 3-1897 Mariager). Deserted.
Cornet August Helmund (17/3-1895 Mariager).
Corporal Christian Peter Christensen. 209th
Corporal HP Theodor Lauritzen (29/2-1888 Gjellerup).
433rd Corporal Hans Jens Jensen (28/7-1874 Bakkebølle Vordingborg).
409th Corporal Christian Altenkrone (13/6-1897 Raarup).
240th Corporal Jens Eskild Ley Christie (2/8-1894 Copenhagen).
225th Corporal Hans Jorgensen (7/6-1894 Seestrup).
2? 2nd Corporal Christian H. Rasmussen (2/7-1887 Aarhus).
389th Corporal Hans Waldemar Johansen.
429th Corporal Martin Sofus Arildskov (24/6-1866 Ristrup).
444th "Old Arildskov." Corporal Eugene Octavius ​​Schultz (24/3-18 84 Copenhagen).
317th Corporal Viggo Jorgensen (Copenhagen 25/6-1892).
229th Corporal C. Petersen.
216th Home Sent. Corporal Tillo Nielsen.
27th Absented. Corporal Lauge.
443rd Kitchen. Corporal Christian Rasmussen.
223rd Absent. Corporal Kai Konrad Hauge (7/4-1899 Elsinore).
303rd Corporal Jens Christian Olsen (30/7-1891 Copenhagen).
366th Corporal Ove Einar Petersen (23/2-1895 Nørresundby).
373rd Corporal Svend Sarder (24/4-1890 Aarhus).
406th Corporal Henry Christian Jensen (20/3-1899 Udbyovre Mark).
Corporal Verner Felix Frederiksen (16/12-1900 Copenhagen).
423rd Corporal Frantz H. Leudersdorff (30/3-1900 Copenhagen).
459th Corporal Christian Jensen (21 / 10-1896 Randers).
450th Corporal JCF Larsen (20/1-1899 Aarhus).
402nd Corporal Arthur Leonard Alsvold (20/12-1899 Nykøbing).
438th Corporal Bertel Hansen (27/8-1892 Nakskov).
425th Corporal Christian Schultz (1 / 9-1888 Almind v. Vejle).
412th Corporal Hilbert Christiansen (7/6-1888 Copenhagen).
333rd Corporal August Bruus (3/11-1887 Odense).
359th Corporal Henry Eduard Bardrum (21 / 11-1896 Copenhagen).
393rd Corporal Mahnfeldt.
456th Corporal Gustav Emil Gabrielsen (15/12-1892).
446th Corporal John Smith (1 / 1-1898).
428th Corporal George Kjøller (31/7-1876 Bugelskær parish Nexo).
449th Corporal Niels Prühl Nielsen (30/10-1897 Ringkøbing).
430th Corporal John Eskild Ley Christie (2/8-1894 Copenhagen).
440th Corporal John Marius Madsen (8/2-1895 Søby).
441st Corporal Saul Nielsen (25/7-1895 Copenhagen).
458th Corporal AAK Hansen (23/7-1898 Svendborg). 342nd
Ordinary seaman 300 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 301 Larsen. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 302 Jørgensen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 303 Hauge. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 304 Moller. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 305 Niels Christian Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 306 Rasmussen.
Ordinary seaman 307 Lund. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 308 Johansen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 309 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 310 Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 311 Thomsen.
Ordinary seaman 312 M. Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 313 Berg.
Ordinary seaman 314 Christiansen.
Ordinary seaman 315 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 316 Christensen.
Ordinary seaman 317 Schultz. Udn. to Corporal 15/8
Ordinary seaman 318 Andersen. Kitchen.
Ordinary seaman 319 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 320 Mohr.
Ordinary seaman 321 Harold Charles Andersen, Copenhagen. The decrease in Ostrow.
Ordinary seaman 322 Fritz Madsen. In prison. 5 years' fortress arrest in Estonian prison camp, Pääskylä.
Ordinary seaman 323 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 324 Varlev. Udn. to vicefeltwebel 15/8
Ordinary seaman 325 Christian Breyer. Death of black cups in All Schwaneburg.
Ordinary seaman 326 Hansen. Home Posted due to illness (appendicitis).
Ordinary seaman 327 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 328 Ejnar Eli Olsen (2/1-1896).
Ordinary seaman 329 Petersen. Udn. to Corporal - demoted to private.
Ordinary seaman 330 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 331 Neist.
Ordinary seaman 332 Holmgaard.
Ordinary seaman 333 Christiansen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 334 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 335 Hansen. Sick Fits.
Ordinary seaman 336 Bernhard.
Ordinary seaman 337 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 338 Ludvigsen.
Ordinary seaman 339 Nielsen.
Ordinary seaman 340 Nielsen. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 341 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 342 Hansen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 343 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 344 Nielsen.
Ordinary seaman 345 Svendsen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 346 Rasmussen.
Ordinary seaman 347 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 348 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 349 Louis Hansen. The decrease in Hanja 28/5.
Ordinary seaman 350 Larsen. Ordinary seaman 351 Nis Christian Geert (15/10-1895).
Ordinary seaman 352 Mortensen. The wound itself by hand.
Ordinary seaman 353 Larsen.
Ordinary seaman 354 Grimm. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 355 Larsen.
Ordinary seaman 356 Jørgensen.
Ordinary seaman 357 Alfred Rasmussen, Copenhagen. Taken prisoner by the Bolsheviks.
Ordinary seaman 358 Alex H. Hansen. Fallen.
Ordinary seaman 359 Bruun. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 360 Jørgensen. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 361 Name unknown. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 362 Holm.
Ordinary seaman 363 Aage Valdemar Jensen (23/12-1896).
Ordinary seaman 364 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 365 Hansen. O
rdinary seaman 366 Olsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 367 Jørgensen.
Ordinary seaman 368 Nielsen.
Ordinary seaman 369 Larsen.
Ordinary seaman 370 Larsen. Saddler.
Ordinary seaman 371 Sorensen.
Ordinary seaman 372 Christensen.
Ordinary seaman 373 Petersen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 374 Larsen.
Ordinary seaman 375 Olsen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 376 Rosenkilde.
Ordinary seaman 377 Rosenkilde.
Ordinary seaman 378 Moen.
Ordinary seaman 379 Name unknown.
Ordinary seaman 380 Melberg. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 381 Hans Christian Jensen. Died of wounds.
Ordinary seaman 382 Poul Nielsen (8/7-1900).
Ordinary seaman 383 Petersen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 384 Wiggers. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 385 Quist.
Ordinary seaman 386 Charles Alfred Krause, Copenhagen. The decrease in Ostrow.
Ordinary seaman 387 Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 388 Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 389 Rasmussen. Udn. to Corporal.
Ordinary seaman 390 Christiansen. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 391 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 392 Nielsen.
Ordinary seaman 393 Bardrum. Udn., To Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 394 Madsen.
Ordinary seaman 395 Sigfrid Edm. Th. Hansen (25/10-1895).
Ordinary seaman 396 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 397 Myller. Absented.
Ordinary seaman 398 Svend Hartig.
Ordinary seaman 399 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 400 Henry Emanuel Poulsen (24/6-1900).
Ordinary seaman 401 Arboe. Udn. to vicefeltwebel 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 402 Larsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 403 Christoffersen.
Ordinary seaman 404 Hilmar Teklar Nielsen (11/7-1890).
Ordinary seaman 405 Petersen. Tailor.
Ordinary seaman 406 Sarder. Udn. to Corporal 15/8. Ordinary seaman 407 Larsen. Trained.
Ordinary seaman 408 Henriksen.
Ordinary seaman 409 Jensen. Sick Fits.
Ordinary seaman 410 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 411 Nielsen.
Ordinary seaman 412 Schultz. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 413 Name unknown. Not met.
Ordinary seaman 414 Brahe.
Ordinary seaman 415 Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 416 Godtfred Rich. Jørgensen (6/3-1898).
Ordinary seaman 417 Lyng Power.
Ordinary seaman 418 Jens Christian Jensen, Copenhagen. The wound. Taken prisoner by the Bolsheviks.
Ordinary seaman 419 Rasmussen.
Ordinary seaman 420 Jeppesen. Udn. to Sergeant 15/8. Ordinary seaman 421 Jensen. Home Sent.
Ordinary seaman 422 Rosenstand.
Ordinary seaman 423 Frederiksen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 424 Hans Christian Larsen, Copenhagen. The decrease in Ostrow.
Ordinary seaman 425 Hansen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 426 Viggo Hansen (Hejninge). Udn. to Corporal 15/8. Later, Sergeant?
Ordinary seaman 427 Clausen.
Ordinary seaman 428 Hansen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 429 Johansen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8. Ordinary seaman 430 Nielsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 431 CCLF Scavenius (14/7-1899).
Ordinary seaman 432 Lindberg.
Ordinary seaman 433 Lauritzen. Udn. to Corporal.
Ordinary seaman 434 Laurids Petersen Dyrberg (14/12-1897 in Boarding). Wounded and captured by the Bolsheviks in Ostrow.
Ordinary seaman 435 Madsen.
Ordinary seaman 436 Hansen.
Ordinary seaman 437 Jensen. Ordinary seaman 438 Alsvold. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 439 Jensen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 440 Bruun. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 441 Madsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 442 Petersen. Ordinary seaman 443 Lauge. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 444 Arildskov. Udn. to Corporal 15/8. Ordinary seaman 445 Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 446 Gabrielsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 447 Hoegh Petersen.
Ordinary seaman 448 Samuelsen.
Ordinary seaman 449 Kjøller. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 450 Jensen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 451 Holstein. Udn. to ensign.
Ordinary seaman 452 Lerbech. Deserted. Ordinary seaman 453 John Sorensen, Aarhus. Caught by the Bolsheviks in Ostrow.
Ordinary seaman 454 Jensen.
Ordinary seaman 455 Eyolf SiMn Petersen (31/12-1899).
Ordinary seaman 456 Mahnfeldt. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 457 Frederiksen.
Ordinary seaman 458 Nielsen. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 459 Leudesdorff. Udn. to Corporal 15/8.
Ordinary seaman 461 Andersen.
Ordinary seaman 462 Fabricius.
Siamese Major.

Arrived 3/8-1919. addition "not met" may deduce that it was not all been called, who managed to come up with S /S "Mercury", as the steamer departed from Copenhagen on 26 March. Furthermore trick it up for the Copenhagen office to keep track of everyone who had signed up - and get sent invitations to all, since the ship's departure time was finally known. There were so many privates and many officers who had signed up for the "Baltic Information Agency", but did not come away with S / S "Mercury" - and so the Danish authorities made ​​a stop for more volunteers leaving for Estonia.
Note 1: KB Hansen, Sakskobing, writes: # 2 on the list, "Captain Richard Gustav Borgelin (10/2-1887 Herning). Company Commander" I knew as a child, when I lived just north of Kalvehave in the village Viemose in southern Zealand. Col. Borgelin, as all us boys called him, I thought, was a light that had fled by the "Red Army" attack on Latvia and Denmark during the second World War II. There in the late 50s, he was a teacher at a holiday camp in Kalvehave just east of Møn Bridge, a colony owned by the City of Copenhagen? I mean, he died until the late 60s, early 70s. To Colonel Borgelin was easy, I thought until a few years ago when I was in Latvia on a weekend. At a hotel in Cesis (owned by Danes), I sat one evening and spoke with Wizard (Dane) and mentioned that I had known Borgelin as a child, and as I mentioned the name.

Great was his surprise, and he said that Borgelin was not easy, but Dane from Herning (Swedish descent) and had been with the abovementioned force in Latvia during the first World War, but had been there and gone into the Latvian army, where he had been colonel. In Latvia Borgelin a hero! He had the highest Latvian order "Bear Killer Order" for his heroism. I have seen the order in the middle of the 1950s and his sabers (3 pcs), for them we should boys the look. Borgelin had been in the cavalry, and he was also bowlegged, as he sat on a horse an entire lifetime. cfr. interview with Wizard: The river Dauga stands Latvia from Lithuania, in the eastern part of its course and upriver is a town called Daugapils. One half is on the Latvian side and the other half on the lithauiske page. During the struggle to throw the Russians out of first World War was the rusiske forces on the south side and fired the Latvian forces on the north side. Latvians had an agreement with the Lithuanians on, none of the parties had to cross the river. Latvians had thus not able to remove the Russians from the south bank, and they could not help the Lithuanians, who was too far away with their forces. Borgelin got the brilliant idea to send the Danish forces, which is no agreement had with the Lithuanians, over and throw the Russians out. As I said then done, Borgelin threw the traps out, hoisted the Danish flag in the town square, held the city until the Lithuanians came to present a few days later, and then pulled Borgelin again back to the north side of the river. This episode would cause that he was "Bear Killer Order".
nomme_pic1.jpg
nomme_pic1.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
Image sourced from: http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/nomme_pic1.jpg
Flagparade i Nômme træningslejr (maj 1919)

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 31 Mar 2013, 12:39

The following is taken from http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/estland.htm and roughly translated.
borgelin_pic.jpg
borgelin_pic.jpg (12.49 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/borgelin_pic.jpg
Captain Richard G. Borgelin, Head of 1st Company
opffer_face.jpg
opffer_face.jpg (10.82 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/opffer_face.jpg
Kornet Søren Christian Opffer, fell on 27 July 1919
dyhrberg_face.jpg
dyhrberg_face.jpg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
http://www.warcovers.dk/estonia/dyhrberg_face.jpg
Menig Laurits Pedersen Dyhrberg, captured the 27th July 1919