Watching a few documentaries which raised a few questions.

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Felix C

Watching a few documentaries which raised a few questions.

Post by Felix C » 23 May 2015, 17:39

I was watching an otherwise good documentary about D-Day and the comment was made that hundreds of U.S. paratroopers drowned the night of the D-Day. Apparently the U.S. did not use the British quick release harness leading men to drown when trapped in chute, shrouds or weighed down by water filled clothes. Is this correct?

Also the comment was made that a number of soldiers landing in the initial waves at Omaha drowned due to being well fed by the Navy enroute and then weakened from sea sickness inducing heaving of contents. Has it been ascertained that a noticeable number of men died due to drowning?

A U.S. soldier in the Bulge battle mentions a new experience with a German weapon...a flare projector which actually projects a grenade. What weapon is this?

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Watching a few documentaries which raised a few questions.

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 23 May 2015, 23:50

Felix C wrote:I was watching an otherwise good documentary about D-Day and the comment was made that hundreds of U.S. paratroopers drowned the night of the D-Day. Apparently the U.S. did not use the British quick release harness leading men to drown when trapped in chute, shrouds or weighed down by water filled clothes. Is this correct?

I dont know about the quick release. I have been through water survival training several times & can say that even without the parachute and line bag the paratrooper would be in serious trouble landing in the water. We went in usually in coveralls and boots and occasionally with a helmet, ammo belt and rifle. With those, in daylight, and prepared, it was difficult. Someone entering the water at night, with a full pack and combat load, plus extras is going to have 30+ kilos extra weight. Bad news unless he has had a lot of previous drill in this situation. A quick release for the parachute harness might save a handfull, but most are going to have a struggle with everything else.
Also the comment was made that a number of soldiers landing in the initial waves at Omaha drowned due to being well fed by the Navy enroute and then weakened from sea sickness inducing heaving of contents. Has it been ascertained that a noticeable number of men died due to drowning?
My take is not. Everyone in the landing craft were suposed to have flotation jackets. Many eyewitnesses or participants mentions either using these life jackets or discarding it when ashore. Others dont mention them. From personal experience I can say a heavy meal, light meal, or none makes any difference with incapacitation from sea sickness. Dry heaves suck just as bad as a full load projectile vomit :D I can also say that cold water revives you fairly quickly. Postmotems were performed on very few of the KIA, and the medical records are not clearly recorded or preserved. So I'd be suprised if anyone had a accurate record of how many died only from drowning.
A U.S. soldier in the Bulge battle mentions a new experience with a German weapon...a flare projector which actually projects a grenade. What weapon is this?
Pass on this one. To many oddball weapons circulating in those months.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 24 May 2015, 00:31

Thanks Carl.

It was two docus. D-Day to Victory and the other was Surviving D-Day. Well done I thought, both had actual veterans recount their experiences. I thought perhaps the numbers may have been fudged regarding drownings.

It was surprising to hear the majority of the vets recounting shooting prisoners. One rarely read that in post-war memoirs through the 1980s. I think with Company K onward it become more common to see in memoirs GIs recount shooting prisoners.
Last edited by Felix C on 24 May 2015, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 24 May 2015, 09:22

Felix C wrote:A U.S. soldier in the Bulge battle mentions a new experience with a German weapon...a flare projector which actually projects a grenade. What weapon is this?
Probably the standard 26.5 mm Leuchtpistole (flare pistol) modified, sometimes with the addition of a shoulder stock, to fire a variety of explosive projectiles. When fitted with a rifled barrel it was known as the Leuchtpistole Z or Kampfpistole (combat pistol). In use from 1942.
With a shoulder stock, it was also known as the Sturmpistole (assault pistol).
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 24 May 2015, 14:10

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”