116. Panzer-Division's opening engagements

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Cult Icon

116. Panzer-Division's opening engagements

Post by Cult Icon » 22 Aug 2016, 16:20

I am trying to piece together what the division did during its baptism of fire.

Particular: July 29- August 4

According to the history, it mainly fought CCA (2. AD), 2 Inf regiments of 29. ID and 4. ID with CCB of 3.AD

29.ID unit history skips this period entirely. I don't have the 2. AD history.

Jones, Falaise: Flawed Victory:
The 116th traversed the river on 20 July and four days later the II. Abteilung Panzer-Regiment 16, Panzerjäger Abteilung 228, Panzergrenadier-Regiments 60 and 156 and the reconnaissance unit, Panzeraufklärungs-Abteilung 16, were gathering in the assembly areas. When they took stock, just sixty-three tanks and twenty-five assault guns were combat ready. Last to arrive was I. Abteilung Panzer-Regiment 24 and the situation greatly improved, rising to 121 tanks.

Four days later the division moved into position behind Panzergruppe West. Graf von Schwerin and his men found themselves assigned the sector behind SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer Sepp Dietrich’s I. SS-Panzer-Korps southeast of Caen, supporting his 1. SS- and 12. SS-Panzer-Divisions. The opening of American breakout efforts west of St. Lô on the 25th drew the division onto the left flank of 2nd Panzer, deploying in the Vire area three days later. Despite being considered highly combat ready and having seen little action, available tank numbers had plummeted to just sixty-two. This may have been in part due to the loss of the Panthers of Panzer-Regiment 24, which were allocated to the 2. Panzer-Division for the coming Mortain counterattack

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”