Seelöwe - German & British mining operations

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Seelöwe - German & British mining operations

Post by Juha Tompuri » 13 Apr 2013, 22:28

phylo_roadking wrote:now, looking at the description of the EMG mine assembly that I and LWD have linked to...

Height regulated to eight feet below surface level by the float...
According to this info, seems to be not so:
http://www.minenjagd.de/minenjagd/minen ... en/emg.php

Regards, Juha

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Apr 2013, 22:49

Height regulated to eight feet below surface level by the float...
Die EMG ist in ihrer Grundbauart gleich mit der EMC und besteht aus zwei Halbkugeln mit einem Durchmesser des Minengefäßes von 1,12 Metern aus 3,5 Millimeter Stahlblech. Die Ladungsgröße beträgt 300kg. Gegenüber der EMC hat die EMG nur vier Bleikappen. Die Bleikappen auf der unteren Halbkugel fehlen und statt der oberen mittleren Bleikappe befindet sich dort ein Auge für den Bojenstander. An diesem Augen ist eine mit Tarnanstrich versehene linsenförmige Boje an einem 2,5 Meter langen Stander befestigt. Am Minengefäß unten fehlt der bei der EMC verwendete Federpuffer, hier hängt ein 5 Meter langer Stander mit Ausgleichsgewicht direkt an der Zugstange, welcher das Minengefäß so auf Tiefe zieht, dass von der ganzen Mine nur die linsenförmige Boje eben aus dem Wasser ragt. Ist das Ausgleichsgewicht abgerissen oder abgesprengt treibt das Minengefäß auf. Gegenüber der EMC wurde keine Kontakteinrichtung (K. E.) eingebaut, eine Entschärfervorrichtung (E. E.) nur teilweise.
According to this info, seems to be not so:
You are quite correct; "2,5 Meter" is actually 8 feet 2 and 27⁄64 inches...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 13 Apr 2013, 23:26

Actually my suspicion about the EMG depth setting rose about the LWD and yours source mentioned depth units as feets instead of meters and centimeters.
Not that German, I tought.
phylo_roadking wrote:You are quite correct; "2,5 Meter" is actually 8 feet 2 and 27⁄64 inches...
Yes, you seem to have understood the float cable lenght correct...
...but the EMG mine floated even more deep than that, if you look at the drawing attached.
In addition of the cable there is also the float.

As you already emphasized it at the link text:
An diesem Augen ist eine mit Tarnanstrich versehene linsenförmige Boje an einem 2,5 Meter langen Stander befestigt.

Regards, Juha

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Apr 2013, 20:39

Juha Tompuri wrote:
phylo_roadking wrote:You are quite correct; "2,5 Meter" is actually 8 feet 2 and 27⁄64 inches...
Yes, you seem to have understood the float cable lenght correct...
...but the EMG mine floated even more deep than that, if you look at the drawing attached.
In other words the mine floating slightly under ten feet depth (3 meters) and the mine horns slightly deeper, perhaps a bit over ten feet depth.

Regards, Juha

LWD

Post by LWD » 16 Apr 2013, 15:07

In a static case. Given wind, wave, and current it won't be quite that deep however we are talking about variations of 2 or 3 feet or less than a meter for those metrically inclined. What is the import?

By the way since the document was a US one produced after the war based on analysis of German equipment and discussions with German technical personel the units quite naturally would have been English. They obviously weren't worried about a few inches which would be "noise" given the intent of the document.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 16 Apr 2013, 19:11

LWD wrote:In a static case.
As AFAIK every(?) other similar data.
LWD wrote:What is the import?
Well, truth(?) itself has "some" value.
Also I think it points out even more to that direction that they were not designed:
to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft
Regards, Juha

LWD

Post by LWD » 16 Apr 2013, 21:19

Juha Tompuri wrote:
LWD wrote:In a static case.
As AFAIK every(?) other similar data.
Indeed it does but is it relevant to the discussion at hand? and is it "truth". For instance was the spec written as 2.5 m or 2.50 m? In the first case 8 ft is close enough if one looks at the significant digits. Then there's the point that in actual usage it it was specified at 2.50 m the vertical distance would be less than 2.5m + the distance below the water level of the bottom of the float.
Also I think it points out even more to that direction that they were not designed:
Does it? How does 2" or even 2 ft imply this? Which brings up the question what are they calling sallow draft?

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 17 Apr 2013, 20:12

LWD wrote:
Indeed it does but is it relevant to the discussion at hand?
Is truth relevant... hmmm...
LWD wrote:and is it "truth"
I doubt it being "truth" and you are welcome to post here info that proves the link info about EMG mines wrong.
LWD wrote:For instance was the spec written as 2.5 m or 2.50 m? In the first case 8 ft is close enough if one looks at the significant digits. Then there's the point that in actual usage it it was specified at 2.50 m the vertical distance would be less than 2.5m + the distance below the water level of the bottom of the float.
How about re-reading from this on: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1780977
and if needed checking this one too: http://www.minenjagd.de/minenjagd/minen ... en/emg.php
LWD wrote:
Does it?
Yes.
Juha wrote:
phylo_roadking wrote:...and only the three Portland Bill-Gris Nez long fields B1, B2 & B3 were to use EMGs. The others were to use EMCs, EMDs or combinations of both.

Why? Personally, I would assume that the GERMANS were equally as aware as the British that the Channel Narrows were no place for capital ships...and that the BIG threat coming from the SOUTH would be shallower-draught coastal craft, and destroyers. The EMC and EMD "conventional", bottom-moored minefields (the C-prefixed fields) were arrayed at the NORTHERN end of the Narrows where possibly (probably? :P) Home Fleet might attempt to interfere with their operations ;) So there they were going to sow mines designed for vessels with a greater draught!
Actually the EMC and EMD mines were designed for vessels with both smaller and greater draught.
The EMD however with it's relatively small charge, seems to have been designed for smaller or "softer" targets.

phylo_roadking wrote:Also - all the descriptions of the Germans' countermeasures against the RN involved using uboats in the lower end of the Narrows; now, looking at the description of the EMG mine assembly that I and LWD have linked to...

Height regulated to eight feet below surface level by the float...and horns removed from the BOTTOM of the EMC mine case used in the design...

...I can't help thinking that THIS particular cobbled-together assembly not only was designed to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft...it ALSO reduced to a degree the risk to uboats operating in the immediate vicinity!
Actually the EMG height setting was quite ideal against submarines, both surfaced and at periscope depth.
Also I would disagree that the EMG was designed:
not only was designed to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft.
...as the setting was effective to warships from destroyers to bigger ships.
It even seems that quite many RN destroyers could pass the EMG mine fields unharmed.
Also the greater size of the EMG charge would point out to that direction.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1783123

LWD wrote:How does 2" or even 2 ft imply this?
What 2 inches?`
Leaving that mistake aside, I must say that I've always thought that the deeper the mines are being laid, the safer it would be to try to cross the field.
LWD wrote:Which brings up the question what are they calling sallow draft?
Actually not they:
phylo_roadking wrote:...and only the three Portland Bill-Gris Nez long fields B1, B2 & B3 were to use EMGs. The others were to use EMCs, EMDs or combinations of both.

Why? Personally, I would assume that the GERMANS were equally as aware as the British that the Channel Narrows were no place for capital ships...and that the BIG threat coming from the SOUTH would be shallower-draught coastal craft, and destroyers. The EMC and EMD "conventional", bottom-moored minefields (the C-prefixed fields) were arrayed at the NORTHERN end of the Narrows where possibly (probably? :P) Home Fleet might attempt to interfere with their operations ;) So there they were going to sow mines designed for vessels with a greater draught!

Also - all the descriptions of the Germans' countermeasures against the RN involved using uboats in the lower end of the Narrows; now, looking at the description of the EMG mine assembly that I and LWD have linked to...

Height regulated to eight feet below surface level by the float...and horns removed from the BOTTOM of the EMC mine case used in the design...

...I can't help thinking that THIS particular cobbled-together assembly not only was designed to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft...it ALSO reduced to a degree the risk to uboats operating in the immediate vicinity!
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1780977

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 18 Apr 2013, 00:06, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: adding info & typos corrected

LWD

Post by LWD » 18 Apr 2013, 15:53

Juha Tompuri wrote:Indeed it does but is it relevant to the discussion at hand?
Is truth relevant... hmmm...[/quote]
The question is: "Is 2 inches difference in a measurement relevant to the topic at hand?" and it is indeed a valid question that you seem to be dodging.
LWD wrote:and is it "truth"
I doubt it being "truth" and you are welcome to post here info that proves the link info about EMG mines wrong.
Where did I claim it was wrong?
LWD wrote:For instance was the spec written as 2.5 m or 2.50 m? In the first case 8 ft is close enough if one looks at the significant digits. Then there's the point that in actual usage it it was specified at 2.50 m the vertical distance would be less than 2.5m + the distance below the water level of the bottom of the float.
How about re-reading from this on: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1780977
and if needed checking this one too: http://www.minenjagd.de/minenjagd/minen ... en/emg.php
It is written as 2.5m thus if using if we apply the significant digit criteria it could be anywhere between 2.45 and 2.55 m. Caliming 8 feet 2 inches would be the equivalant of saying it was between 2.474m and 2.502m. See the difference the latter much more precise than the official one.
LWD wrote:
Does it?
Yes.
How so? You are the proponent here and you have made no effort to explain your case.
What 2 inches?`
Leaving that mistake aside, I must say that I've always thought that the deeper the mines are being laid, the safer it would be to try to cross the field.
That very much depends. If your draft is 3m then what is the difference if the mine is at 2m or 2.5m? If it's an influence mine it's actually worse if it's at 4 or 5 meters.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 18 Apr 2013, 18:09

LWD wrote:The question is: "Is 2 inches difference in a measurement relevant to the topic at hand?" and it is indeed a valid question that you seem to be dodging.
May I repeate: "what two inches difference"?
The one originating from phylo_roadking misunderstanding?

LWD wrote:Where did I claim it was wrong?
No one has claimed you did.

LWD wrote:
It is written as 2.5m thus if using if we apply the significant digit criteria it could be anywhere between 2.45 and 2.55 m. Caliming 8 feet 2 inches would be the equivalant of saying it was between 2.474m and 2.502m. See the difference the latter much more precise than the official one.
It almost looks that you have not checked the link contents I gave.

LWD wrote:
What 2 inches?`
That very much depends. If your draft is 3m then what is the difference if the mine is at 2m or 2.5m? If it's an influence mine it's actually worse if it's at 4 or 5 meters.
I ment in general and with the ship types in question.
LWD wrote:
LWD wrote:
Does it?
Yes.
How so? You are the proponent here and you have made no effort to explain your case.
I found that a bit ungrateful.

Anyway, maybe the drawing from one of the several links I have posted helps.
The red colour there is from me:
Attachments
emg3meterdeep.JPG
http://www.minenjagd.de/minenjagd/minen/ankertauminen/dt_ankertauminen/emg.php
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 18 Apr 2013, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding info

LWD

Post by LWD » 18 Apr 2013, 18:49

Juha Tompuri wrote:
LWD wrote:The question is: "Is 2 inches difference in a measurement relevant to the topic at hand?" and it is indeed a valid question that you seem to be dodging.
May I repeate: "what two inches difference"?
The one originating from phylo_roadking misunderstanding?
The one where the document I linked statyed 8 ft and you objected becuase 8ft is 2 inches short of 2.5m.
LWD wrote:Where did I claim it was wrong?
No one has claimed you did.
Your response implied I was?
LWD wrote:
It almost looks that you have not checked the link contents I gave.
??? how so. The drawing labels the length of the chain as 2.5m.
LWD wrote:
What 2 inches?`
I ment in general and with the ship types in question.
Certainly if you are talking DDs 2.5m vs 3m is irrelevant for most if not all of them. As a point of reference at least some US DE's had a draft of over 3m.
LWD wrote:
LWD wrote:
Does it?
Yes.
I found that a bit ungrateful.

Anyway, maybe the drawing from one of the several links I have posted helps.
The red colour there is from me:[/quote]
I didn't see any red on either of the links. Still not sure what your point is.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 18 Apr 2013, 19:08

LWD wrote: ??? how so. The drawing labels the length of the chain as 2.5m.
AFAIK there is no chain there but a cables, and:
Juha earlier wrote:Yes, you seem to have understood the float cable lenght correct...
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6#p1784886
Juha earlier wrote:In other words the mine floating slightly under ten feet depth (3 meters) and the mine horns slightly deeper, perhaps a bit over ten feet depth.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6#p1785083

Regards, Juha
Attachments
emg3meterdeep.3.JPG
Enlarged and perhaps more clear now
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 18 Apr 2013, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding a drawing

LWD

Post by LWD » 18 Apr 2013, 20:54

And 3m doesn't mean that it won't work against "shallow draft ships" if by such you mean DDs. Even the old V&W's drew more than 3.4m with a full load. Then as I pointed out in the presence of a current or even a wind the mine won't be 3m below the surface. What's more it's going to be bobing up and down with the swells while the ships bottoms will be pretty close to their draught below the mean sea level. I would imagine that impacting the float if it didn't make a large hole in it would also bring the mine closer to the surface. If you are talking MTB's you are probably right these mines are unlikey to affect them. However they are likely to be quite effective against anything that's drawing much over 2m of water.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 18 Apr 2013, 21:16

Nice to notice that my efforts finally paid off and the message seems to have gone through.
Even with just re-posting older material.
Took however unnecessary long.
LWD wrote:And 3m doesn't mean that it won't work against "shallow draft ships" if by such you mean DDs.
Actually the original phrasings were:
that the BIG threat coming from the SOUTH would be shallower-draught coastal craft, and destroyers.
I can't help thinking that THIS particular cobbled-together assembly not only was designed to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft...

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 18 Apr 2013, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding info

LWD

Post by LWD » 18 Apr 2013, 22:52

Juha Tompuri wrote:Nice to notice that my efforts finally paid off and the message seems to have gone through.
Even with just re-posting older material.
Took however unnecessary long.
A clear description of you point would have made the reposting unncessary.
LWD wrote:And 3m doesn't mean that it won't work against "shallow draft ships" if by such you mean DDs.
Actually the original phrasings were:
that the BIG threat coming from the SOUTH would be shallower-draught coastal craft, and destroyers.
I can't help thinking that THIS particular cobbled-together assembly not only was designed to deal with shallow draught SURFACE craft...

Regards, Juha
Ah, so it's his statement you object to. I thought I had read words to this effect elsewhere as well so looking at the document I posted earlier, i.e.:
http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/germanun ... es1946.pdf
On page 22 it says concnerning the EMG type mines:
The EMG was a moored, contact, constant-depth mine assembly designed for defence against small surface craft such as torpedo boats.
Seems pretty clear to me. What was your objection again?

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”