Is there a list of every Chateau used by the Germans in WW2?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Larry Hayward

Is there a list of every Chateau used by the Germans in WW2?

Post by Larry Hayward » 02 Dec 2009, 01:01

A question for our friends in France

Has anyone ever written a list of every Chateau in France used by the Germans during WW2 and perhaps the German unit or HQ that occupied it.

I am trying to find out if Chateau du Mortier, near Monnaie (10 km north west of Tours) was used by the Germans, as my mother in law worked there in 1939.

Thanks in advance

Larry Hayward

Re: Is there a list of every Chateau used by the Germans in WW2?

Post by Larry Hayward » 29 Dec 2009, 16:54

Anyone have any info specific to the German's use of Chateau du Mortier, near Monnaie (10 km north west of Tours) in 1940-1944 period?

Thanks in advance

Larry Hayward

Re: Is there a list of every Chateau used by the Germans in

Post by Larry Hayward » 25 May 2010, 23:12

Any one got any ideas where I could reasearch this in France?

JonS

Post by JonS » 25 May 2010, 23:46

I'd be surprised if there were even a list of all the chateau in France in the 1940s, let alone those that saw a specific use. And anyway, where do you draw the line between "a chateau used by the Germans during WW2" and "a structure used by the Germans during WW2"? :?

As a first approximation, my suggested list would be: All of them.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 25 May 2010, 23:48

Larry Hayward wrote:Any one got any ideas where I could reasearch this in France?

http://archives.cg37.fr/Article.php?idc ... rticle=197

See Section VII.
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

ThomWe

Post by ThomWe » 26 May 2010, 22:43

i recall german inscriptions (1. stock, luftschuutzkeller, etc.) on the walls as well as proper (empty) german leitz ordner lying in the attic dating to a pre 1950 period. to me a proof germans were there. will be going to tours next month. if find time, shall check at monnaie.

Flip

Post by Flip » 02 Jun 2010, 09:36

I'm interested in the History of Chateau de mortier, too. The inventory listed in the Archives déparmentales d'Indre et Loire (thanks RichTO90!) seems to me evidence enough that the Germans used this Chateau, but how can I obtain further information? I checked the "Dictionnaire historique de la France sous l'Occupation" and several printed german sources in vain. Does anybody know how to find out which troop unit was in Tours and the region?

I would appreciate any hint to further reading on the wherabouts of the Germans in occupied France! :)

Loïc

Re: no Tourangeaux people here ?

Post by Loïc » 03 Jun 2010, 02:00

of course it is sure that this castle was occupied, I have seen it mentionned in a book but for this kind of datas it isn't a national/general book about France who can give you that, you should find a source about Touraine/Indre-et-Loire under occupation (they exist*), often the local/regional sources are very precious for such details, unfortunately here I don't have these books about Touraine
or ask that in a french forum because it seems that we don't have Tourangeaux here :welcome:

some units near Tours, Amboise, Montbazon, camp of Le Ruchard
http://wehrmacht.flwgc.org/Feldpostnumm ... 1740-R.htm

if ThomWe can find them next month :
*Les Allemands en Touraine 1940-1944 (Claude Morin 1996)
Touraine 39-45 : Histoire de l'Indre-et-Loire durant la 2e Guerre Mondiale (Robert Vivier 1990)

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 25 Jun 2010, 11:45

I had access to the Chateau Le Mortier in Monnaie several years ago and can concur there is evidence of German occupation with writing on the walls and signs on doors particularly in the cellar areas.
MC

Flip

Post by Flip » 30 Jun 2010, 15:11

The same says Robert Vivier, Touraine 39-45, page 72:
""Bon nombre de châteaux étaient occuppés par les états-majors pour les officiers, comme le château du Mortier auprès de Monnaie (...)"
(A good number of chateaus was occupied for the higher-command officers, like Chateau du Mortier close to Monnaie.)

Loïc, thanks for your hints!

Berengere

Post by Berengere » 03 Oct 2012, 17:14

Bonjour all.
I'm also very interested in finding out a lot more about le Domaine and Chateau du Mortier.
Our company bought it 20 years ago and it seems that there is a big hole about this period. I heard a few things from Monnaie inhabitants, but no proofs. I am looking for any piece of information allowing me to retrace the history of this magnificent domain.
Larry, what did your mother-in-law say about her time at the Chateau?
Any information from other members or sources are very welcome.
I will be happy to share our findings with you.
Many thanks

Pamela Shields

Re: Is there a list of every Chateau used by the Germans in WW2?

Post by Pamela Shields » 20 Jun 2016, 16:42

I know it was some time ago, but did Larry Hayward find an answer to his question? I ask because I live in Amboise and, talking to locals about their memories of that time, was told local resistance was so strong the bridge was blown up to impede occupation. I was also told that the Germans made plans to send the bones of Leonardo da VInci to Mussolini in Italy but failed. Anyone throw any light?
Thank you Pamela
http://www.pamela-shields.co.uk
http://www.photographfrance.com
www.roytrs.com

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”