Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Research help on Cassel, France battle

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.

Research help on Cassel, France battle

Postby jacksun on 14 Dec 2011 22:56

Hi, I'm new to the board, although I have been lurking for the past few weeks :D

I am researching the battle at Cassel, France May 27 - 30th 1940. My Grandfather was with the 4th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry defending Cassel and he was taken prisoner on May 30, 1940. He then spent 4 1/2 years in Stalag XXB at Marienburg.

For my research I am collecting data from both sides of the battle to hopefully draw a complete picture of what happened.

I have some information from searching this forum, but I am hoping maybe someone can help me with more details, and a better understanding.

I am looking for things like which divisions were involved ( i know the tank, but they were pushed back due to no infantry support I think the first time, then infantry was there the next day - what div's?), Commanders, route they traveled, equipment they had, points of attack, allied POW numbers if known (for comparison), maps showing where divisions were and movement direction etc.

And anything else you think may be valuable.

I really appreciate anything anyone can help with.

Thanks,
Wayne
jacksun
Canada

Return to WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic