Research help on Cassel, France battle

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
jacksun

Research help on Cassel, France battle

Post by jacksun » 14 Dec 2011, 23:56

Hi, I'm new to the board, although I have been lurking for the past few weeks :D

I am researching the battle at Cassel, France May 27 - 30th 1940. My Grandfather was with the 4th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry defending Cassel and he was taken prisoner on May 30, 1940. He then spent 4 1/2 years in Stalag XXB at Marienburg.

For my research I am collecting data from both sides of the battle to hopefully draw a complete picture of what happened.

I have some information from searching this forum, but I am hoping maybe someone can help me with more details, and a better understanding.

I am looking for things like which divisions were involved ( i know the tank, but they were pushed back due to no infantry support I think the first time, then infantry was there the next day - what div's?), Commanders, route they traveled, equipment they had, points of attack, allied POW numbers if known (for comparison), maps showing where divisions were and movement direction etc.

And anything else you think may be valuable.

I really appreciate anything anyone can help with.

Thanks,
Wayne

sotek85

Re: Research help on Cassel, France battle

Post by sotek85 » 24 Jul 2015, 06:38

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately I can't help with what you are after, however my grandfather was a member of the 53. Anti Tank Regiment, and he was also captured after defending Cassel. He then spent the rest of the war in Stalag XXB, the same as your grandfather. I have a photo from the camp (perhaps your grandfather is also in it) if you are interested, and also I visited the site of the camp in 2012, and you are welcome to the photos from there for your family history.

Due to the similar circumstances of our grandfathers, I would be very interested in seeing what you have found about units were attacking/defending Cassel, maps etc.

Thanks

kev s

Post by kev s » 31 Aug 2015, 21:28

Hi

My Great Uncle was also captured after defending Cassel, he was a member of 140th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery. I believe he was sent to a camp in Poland where he mined coal for the Germans.
I too am researching this for family history.

Kevin

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 31 Aug 2015, 23:07

I can take you on an battlefield tour there ;)

Cassel is a little jewel of a town no more than an hour from Calais and 30 mins from Dunkerque. It is on what might be one of the most heavily fought over patches in Europe. In 1914-18 it was Foch's HQ. In 1793 it was the start line for general Vandamme's column at the battle of Hondshoote and before then fought over in the 1670s and several times in medieval times There are lots of cafes and restaurants in the town square and memorials to the units who fought there. The story of the battle is covered in Seebag Montefiorie's book on Dunkerque as well as the battleground Europe book on Dunkerque.

The Ox and Bucks were the third battalion in the brigade with two battalions of Gloucesters

There is a section in the official history here http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/U ... rs-14.html
and a discussion on WW2talk - which attracts people with a specific interest in British and Commonwealth WW2 stories - at least one someone like you with a personal interest in 4th Ox and Bucks
http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/12977-m ... -bef-1940/
http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/12703-t ... sel-1940/h

I was on this expedition with Terry Webb - I led the walk around Hondeghem
http://gbg-international.blogspot.co.uk ... sters.html

JWEDW

Post by JWEDW » 17 Mar 2019, 12:35

Hello, I'm about to pay Cassel a visit, retracing my Dads last few days before capture just north of Cassel. He was in 367 Battery 140th Field Rgt RA. Any help much appreciated, Irealise that these posts are some years old now.....

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 17 Mar 2019, 15:45

Hello,
I hope it helps. Wormhout is not far from Cassel (+/-10km)
https://www.39-45.org/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... t=Wormhout
Sorry it's a link to a french forum.
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper :wink: :wink:

JWEDW

Post by JWEDW » 18 Mar 2019, 18:59

Merci bien!

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”