Sinking of HNoMS Svenner and 5 T-Flt 6/7 June 44

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Urmel

Sinking of HNoMS Svenner and 5 T-Flt 6/7 June 44

Post by Urmel » 02 Feb 2012, 16:58

I have AARs for 5th T Flotilla for 6 and 7 June. They do not record a success of the combats on 6 June (which included launching a number of torpedoes), when they sortied in the early morning, but for 7 June record a sortie at 0230hrs with Jaguar and Moewe, in which they claim a destroyer burning and sinking and another one hit out of a target of three destroyers they engaged, hit by two torpedoes at 03.41 AM (Berlin time). I first thought this must be Svenner, but everywhere I can see she is said to have been sunk on 6 June at 5.35am (GMT I presume). I can find no loss that the German claim for 7 June would relate to.

Thoughts?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Maurice Laarman

Re: Sinking of HNoMS Svenner and 5 T-Flt 6/7 June 44

Post by Maurice Laarman » 04 Feb 2012, 17:08

Urmel, you might find the site Chronik der Seekrieg useful in such matters. You can find it here:http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/chronik.htm

The claims in KTB's are not always correct. In the heat of the moment clear observations are not always possible. So what you mention is true, Svenner 6-6, 7-7 no succes.

Kind regards,

Maurice Laarman

6.– 13.6.1944
Kanal / Nordsee
Angriffsversuche dt. Überwasserschiffe gegen die Invasionsflotte.
In der Nacht zum 6.6. sinkt V 1509 bei einem Aufklärungsvorstoß von Le Havre nach Westen im Gefecht mit brit. Deckungsstreitkräften. Von Le Havre greift in derselben Nacht die 5. T-Flottille (KKpt. Hoffmann) mit T 28, Möwe und Jaguar (T-Boot Falke in Reparatur) die zur Eastern Naval Task Force gehörende brit. Schiffe der Force S vor »Sword« Beach an und versenkt den norweg. Zerstörer Svenner. Weitere Torpedos laufen zwischen den Schlachtschiffen Warspite (durch Minentreffer beschädigt) und Ramillies hindurch und verfehlen das Führungsschiff Largs.

In der Nacht zum 7.6. greifen von Le Havre aus T 28, Möwe, Jaguar erfolglos an

Urmel

Re: Sinking of HNoMS Svenner and 5 T-Flt 6/7 June 44

Post by Urmel » 05 Feb 2012, 19:20

Many thanks Maurice. I guess that shows that not just fightr pilots were prone to overclaiming! :)

Amazing detail though given that nothin was hit.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”