Japanese troops in operation Market Garden?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
ki sanak

Japanese troops in operation Market Garden?

Post by ki sanak » 27 Feb 2014, 17:49

i want to know if this true or not, i found this in facebook group

"at 02.00 PM Typhoon squadroon take off and half an hour later launched their rockets and cannons to the JAPANESE position in the edge of Waal river. after that, the Irish Guards tanks take up position in the south"

lttle bit strange here that there was japanese battalion in OMG,,

then he wrote that the japanese battalion come from Guadalcanal. he also said that he quoted from cornelius ryan or urquhart book.

any idea guys?

phylo_roadking

Re: Japanese troops in operation Market Garden?

Post by phylo_roadking » 27 Feb 2014, 20:34

A whole battalion????
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 27 Feb 2014, 21:05

How would they have made it there?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 27 Feb 2014, 21:12

ki sanak wrote:i want to know if this true or not, i found this in facebook group

"at 02.00 PM Typhoon squadroon take off and half an hour later launched their rockets and cannons to the JAPANESE position in the edge of Waal river. after that, the Irish Guards tanks take up position in the south"

lttle bit strange here that there was japanese battalion in OMG,,

then he wrote that the japanese battalion come from Guadalcanal. he also said that he quoted from cornelius ryan or urquhart book.

any idea guys?
The Guadalcanal Campaign, also known as the Battle of Guadalcanal and codenamed Operation Watchtower by Allied forces, was a military campaign fought between 7 August 1942 and 9 February 1943 on and around the island of Guadalcanal in the Pacific theatre of World War II. It was the first major offensive by Allied forces against the Empire of Japan.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 27 Feb 2014, 22:40

Given the quote, it looks like JAPANESE is a code word for the position to be attacked. There were no Japanese battalions near the Waal in 1944 (obviously).

ki sanak

Post by ki sanak » 28 Feb 2014, 03:27

phylo_roadking wrote:A whole battalion????
i dont know,even i will be surprised if there were a single japanese fought in european theatre
OpanaPointer wrote:How would they have made it there?
i dont know, do you know any japan that fought in europe?
StefanSiverud wrote:Given the quote, it looks like JAPANESE is a code word for the position to be attacked. There were no Japanese battalions near the Waal in 1944 (obviously).
so do you mean it is a CODE? not a real JAPANESE troops/battalion?

i never read cornelius ryan or urquhart book about operation market garden, thats why i am asking here.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 28 Feb 2014, 08:47

i will be surprised if there were a single japanese fought in european theatre
I wouldn't be. Firstly POWs taken by the Soviets, incorporated into the Red Army, subsequently captured by Germans and incorporated into the Wehrmacht. Koreans conscripted into the Japanese army certainly were, some were present on D-Day. Secondly Japanese nationals in Germany when hostilities broke out eg students. Many Japanese were very pro-German and people who opted to study in Germany are likely to have been of that persuasion.

ki sanak

Post by ki sanak » 28 Feb 2014, 12:20

gebhk wrote:
i will be surprised if there were a single japanese fought in european theatre
I wouldn't be. Firstly POWs taken by the Soviets, incorporated into the Red Army, subsequently captured by Germans and incorporated into the Wehrmacht. Koreans conscripted into the Japanese army certainly were, some were present on D-Day. Secondly Japanese nationals in Germany when hostilities broke out eg students. Many Japanese were very pro-German and people who opted to study in Germany are likely to have been of that persuasion.
so, what do you think of Japanese troops or battalion in operation Market Garden? any valid info?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 28 Feb 2014, 12:28

ki sanak wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:How would they have made it there?
i dont know, do you know any japan that fought in europe?
Zero that I know of. There's a oft-reprinted picture of a "Japanese in German uniform" at Normandy, but the guy's really a Soviet volunteer or some such. A battalion of Japanese forces would have had a very hard time getting to Europe, and the IGHQ needed all their troops in the Pacific War at that time.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Feb 2014, 12:32

Please keep this thread focused on the claim about a Japanese unit in Arnhem, for Japanese military observers we have this thread: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6&t=200286 and for the POW in Normandy we have this thread: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82819

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Feb 2014, 12:34

StefanSiverud wrote:There were no Japanese battalions near the Waal in 1944 (obviously).
I can only agree.

/Marcus

ki sanak

Post by ki sanak » 28 Feb 2014, 12:43

so the conclusion is there were no japanese batalion/unit/troops in operation market garden?

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 28 Feb 2014, 15:42

I would say that's correct. "Japanese" is almost certainly just an error by the writer, as I can't even find evidence of "Japan" or "Japanese" being used as a code name in connection with any part of the Operation Market Garden offensive.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Mar 2014, 13:06

Would be helpful if the original poster could tell us what book it was from.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 02 Mar 2014, 23:13

so, what do you think of Japanese troops or battalion in operation Market Garden? any valid info?
Alas without further information, nothing. I merely pointed out that there would be nothing surprising about Japanese individuals being in the Wehrmacht. Incidentally I suspect the 'Japanese' in the D-day photo referred to is in fact Yang Kyoungjong. a Korean.

There was, if memory serves a battalion -strength unit of the Wehrmacht (Battalion 43?) in France which consisted of East Asian volunteers including Japanese. This was destroyed in the Normandy fighting but it is not inconceivable that a small group of survivors from this unit ended up near the Waal, alkbeit not in battalion strength. I am not saying that it is likely just that we should not reject it out of hand without adequate information.

Best wishes
K

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”