Worthington Force

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Kingfish

Worthington Force

Post by Kingfish » 16 May 2014, 12:31

Does anyone know of a detailed OOB for the German forces deployed against Worthington Force?
I know it contained elements of KG Wunsche, and maybe parts of 89 ID, but how about number & types of tanks, infantry strength, any arty support?
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Gary Kennedy

Re: Worthington Force

Post by Gary Kennedy » 16 May 2014, 19:52

A few figures for AFVs and some indication of infantry strength are given here -

http://steel-chariots.22web.org/wrthfrc4.htm

"Worthington's command on Point 140 would consist of sixteen tanks of 'C' Squadron, eleven tanks of 'B' Squadron, four 4HQ tanks, one recce tank, and the majority of 'A' and 'B' Companies of the Algonquins. The infantry was sited around the perimeter of the field and dug their slit trenches. The tanks, half-tracks, and carriers were placed around the four sides of the field, in support, using the hedges and low trees for cover wherever possible.

"Worthington Force had pushed through the remnants of the 89th Infantry Division and had actually penetrated the front line of 12. SS-Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend. Hitlerjugend and Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 101 were reserve units of I SS Panzer Corps. Both Kampfgruppe Waldmüller and Kampfgruppe Wünsche were in the area of Point 140. Altogether, Hitlerjugend had a total strength of some 1,500 infantry, 20 Panthers, 20 Panzer IVs, and a similar number of self-propelled anti-tank guns. Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 101 numbered some 20 odd operational Tigers.

"As of 06 Aug 44, Kampfgruppe Wünsche consisted of the Staff of the Panzerregiment, the Staff of I Abteilung with 3. Kompanie (Panthers), 8. Kompanie (Panzer IVs) of II Abteilung, I./26 and III./26 Abteilungs of Panzergrenadierregiment 26 minus headquarters and one company, and 2. Kompanie and Flak platoon of Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 101. Kampfgruppe Wünsche was to play a central role in the forthcoming battle. "

Gary

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”