Actions of Festung Gironde Both North and South

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Edward L. Hsiao

Actions of Festung Gironde Both North and South

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 22 Jun 2014, 23:10

Gentlemen,

When did the battle of Festung Gironde started? Konteradmiral Hans Michahelles had won the Knight's Cross on April 20,1945 as Festungkommandant Gironde North. He had become a POW a few days earlier before he was awarded the neck decoration. FK Georg Ritter und Edler von Berger was Festungkommnadant of Gironde South and was killed in action on April 20,1945. He won the German Cross in Gold earlier for commanding a German Naval destroyer as few years earlier. What kind of actions did Battaillon "Narvik" undertook in the defense of Festung Gironde? It was commanded by full commander Heinz Birnbacher who won the Knight's Cross and the German Cross In Gold for actions with the S-boats. I know there was a siege before the actual invasion of Gironde.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

hakobordeaux

Re: Actions of Festung Gironde Both North and South

Post by hakobordeaux » 23 Jun 2014, 20:50

25 august 1944, Festung south is officially closed , the batlle starts on april 14th in 1945 and finishes on 20th april !
North festung is closed in the early days of septembre 1944, battle starts on april 14th 1945 and finishes on 18th ..

But i think you can easily find these informations on the web and eventualy in the book of Alain Chazette and Fabien reberac called Royan Pointe de Grave, Poches de l'atlantique" printed in 2005 ...
Best regards

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Actions of Festung Gironde Both North and South

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 30 Jun 2014, 10:26

Gentlemen,

I really couldn't find anything on the German account of the battle of Festung Gironde at all when i was on line. I definately don't speak French at all if I were to know about the book of the battle of Gironde in 1945. :(

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”