Falkland islands defence force uniforms ?

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
dont tell them pike

Falkland islands defence force uniforms ?

Post by dont tell them pike » 27 Mar 2015, 11:58

Hello,

anyone found any photos from early WW2 ?

There are some stamps with images , just put - "Falkland islands defence force 1970 / stamps or centenary 1992" into the image search box.

Interesting one from 1970 showing a mounted soldier in slouch hat and ammo bandolier, not sure if this shows WW1 or WW2 uniform.

Ranjit.
Don't tell him pike !

Sid Guttridge

Re: Falkland islands defence force uniforms ?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 27 Mar 2015, 14:49

Hi dttp,

In WWII the FIDF used mounted men to provide mobility in the "Camp" (the interior of East and West Falkland).

However, the vast majority of the FIDF were artillerymen, infantry and services concentrated in the defences of Port Stanley.

Your mounted figures, if they are from WWII, were an exception, not the rule.

Cheers,

Sid.

druid12

Post by druid12 » 28 Mar 2015, 12:14

Hi Ranjit,

the only photo I have found is from WW1 , not sure if this uniform/slouch hat was still worn in WW2.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/ ... d/fidf.htm

Pat.

wardenhill

Post by wardenhill » 28 Mar 2015, 12:21

Interesting information Sid, I assume the WW1 ammo pouches/ bandolier were worn, perhaps helmets ?

Pete.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 28 Mar 2015, 13:59

Hi Wardenhill,

I have no idea.

I do know that the various American colonies' defence forces began the war with Lewis guns rather than Brens, which arrived later. So presumably they had the appropriate WWI webbing to go with them.

In 1942-44 a British battalion was based there, so I imagine that the FIDF received a full range of British uniform and equipment at that time, if not earlier. I believe there was one Falklands infantry company at Stanley. The others at Stanley were coastal artillery, etc., etc.

Try the National Archives for details. The Falkland Islands Defence Force war diary survives there. (NS Catalogue is on line).

Sorry to be no more use.

Sid.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”